The Immigration Issue

moreluck

golden ticket member
Sheriff Joe Arpaio (Maricopa County) in AZ. says, "Not in my county."

This no-nonsense sheriff is doing his part to stem illegal immigration. He is arresting illegals who are associated with a smuggler. They get arrested, they go to jail and are prosecuted for a felony. He is not arresting the illegals doing it alone. There has to be a smuggler association going on.

In the past 6 weeks he has arrested 146. If you've ever seen a special on Sheriff Joe's jail, you know it's a place you don't want to go to. Inmates wear pink underwear and listen to classical music and it's a tent city in the blazing AZ. heat.

We need more no nonsense guys like Sheriff Joe Arpaio. :thumbup1:

retiredone

tieguy said:
Liberal?.

i have noticed several quotes mentioning liberals on the board. This makes me wonder. What is a liberal?

It used to be somebody who was supported fiscally irresponsible postions (democrats?). It was more or less defined by the catch phrase "tax and spend". To be honest, I believed this contention until recently.

It is hard to consider the democrats fiscally irresponsbile when compared to the republicans considering recent events. Ignoring the party slogans and conventional wisdom, the fact is that the republicans are spending like there is no tomorrow (consider the Alaska bridge to nowhere), and are not collecting taxes adequate to support their own spending. If there really is so much 'waste fraud and abuse" in the system lingering from democrat's control, why haven't the republicans taken on these easy targets? How can we continue to consider the republicans fiscally responsbile, when the debt and deficit has reached such levels under their control? Rather than using conventional wisdom to identify the big spenders, perhaps we should view the results.

This might be a new thread, but I thought I would throw it out there for comment.

Slothrop

moreluck said:
Sheriff Joe Arpaio (Maricopa County) in AZ. says, "Not in my county."

This no-nonsense sheriff is doing his part to stem illegal immigration. He is arresting illegals who are associated with a smuggler. They get arrested, they go to jail and are prosecuted for a felony. He is not arresting the illegals doing it alone. There has to be a smuggler association going on.

In the past 6 weeks he has arrested 146. If you've ever seen a special on Sheriff Joe's jail, you know it's a place you don't want to go to. Inmates wear pink underwear and listen to classical music and it's a tent city in the blazing AZ. heat.

We need more no nonsense guys like Sheriff Joe Arpaio. :thumbup1:

Here's an opinion from the Phoenix paper:
http://www.azcentral.com/news/columns/articles/0511montini0511.html

tieguy

Banned
retiredone said:
i have noticed several quotes mentioning liberals on the board. This makes me wonder. What is a liberal?

It used to be somebody who was supported fiscally irresponsible postions (democrats?). It was more or less defined by the catch phrase "tax and spend". To be honest, I believed this contention until recently.

It is hard to consider the democrats fiscally irresponsbile when compared to the republicans considering recent events. Ignoring the party slogans and conventional wisdom, the fact is that the republicans are spending like there is no tomorrow (consider the Alaska bridge to nowhere), and are not collecting taxes adequate to support their own spending. If there really is so much 'waste fraud and abuse" in the system lingering from democrat's control, why haven't the republicans taken on these easy targets? How can we continue to consider the republicans fiscally responsbile, when the debt and deficit has reached such levels under their control? Rather than using conventional wisdom to identify the big spenders, perhaps we should view the results.

This might be a new thread, but I thought I would throw it out there for comment.

Retired it appears you made a leap into two different planes. You started with the word liberal whos opposite would be conservative and then tied in the republicans. Liberalism and conservatism are based on firm principles.

The only principle the republicans and democrats stand on is maintaining their power. :lol:

wkmac

tieguy said:
The only principle the republicans and democrats stand on is maintaining their power.

You got that right! You know it does seem somewhat weird watching the republicans spend money like drunk sailors and the democrats talking about the need for fiscal constraint. I almost feel at times like I've fallen into a wormhole and emerged out in an alternate universe.
:lol:

Hey, what an idea for a Twilight Zone episode. Some average blok falls asleep or something and wakes up to find Ted Kennedy as head of the NeoCon movement and Dick Cheney and Cindy Sheehan and co-demostrators at an anti war rally against the oil war Ted Kennedy started as Vice President to the sitting President Michael Moore!

Whoa! Now that's weird!
:tongue_sm

WAIT! WAIT! WAIT! I got it. Tieguy opposed to the war and Susie for it!

:lol:

Sorry Tie, just got silly for a minute.:thumbup1:

retiredone

wkmac said:

It's not just the spending issue. Taking your example of the war, in the last century it was assumed that the Democrats were the ones who would irresponsbily get us into a war (Wilson, FDR, Truman, Johnson) and the Republicans were the ones who would avoid costly foreign interventions.

I voted Republincan since the 60s, but am so disappointed with Bush and the results of Republican control I switched parties during the last election.

Democrats have always been cast as the "tax and spend", incompetent at foreign policy, captive of the extreme left folks. At least in my opinion, the reality of republican control is worse than my nightmares of the democrats. I think we do better with split power: one party controlling one branch to restrain the extreme impulses of the other party.

I guess another example is abortion: I'm in the middle on the issue. I don't like abortion, but there are some instances (rape, incest) when it might be the thing to do. However, the republicans seem inclined to bane it always (Dakotas) and the democrats seem to want to allow it anytime (partial birth).

Getting back to the point: I think republican control during Bush has been terrible for the country. The deficit especially presents a huge danger to our economic well being; actually much more danger than Al Quida. And this problem was home grown, almost exclusivley by republicans. Consider this: which of the following would you feel present more danger to us: Stock market speculation by investors or 8 to 10 trillion dollars in national debt? I would answer the debt (given the amount and the fact it affeccts everyone). However, the lesser danger (stock speculation) led to the Great Depression. All home grown.

wkmac

Retired,
Very good post as I think you expressed many feelings that many Americans shared. I'm also of the belief that a split power is more effective in the long run. If you go back to 1994' when the Republican Revolution in Congress took place, up til that point, fiscal constraint was not a serious hot topic. And I'm not pointing the specific finger at Clinton and the democrats because it was the same prior to 92' so at the least Clinton and Co. we just maintaining a tradition set prior to their arrival.

However, in 94' when the Republicans got a hold of shared power then things started to happen. Now IMO it's not all one sided as Clinton came to the table as well but both sides kept the other honest and let's face it, from that time til the last year of Clinton's term, things were pretty good. At that point the economy started to lag but that is going to happen but many good things had been started. When the Republicans got control in 2000' of the whole ball of wax it seemed to just turn south. I know 9/11 was some factor but when you look at all the non-defense spending going on along with the excess porkbarrel which by the way many, many non-partisan groups point to Newt Gringrich as taking an already established policy and moving it to unseen heights as a means of gaining political favor for republicans with the homefolks. That should have never happened IMO based on the language of the Contract With America.

I understand your feelings about longterm loyality to the republicans because in the latter 70's to the mid-80's I was hardcore. But being a much more Barry Goldwater type conservative I quickly realized about 83' that the real Reagan Revolution had been hijacked and was dead. The politicos were just to strong to let that happen. Tell em what they want to hear to get the vote but do otherwise when elected and that's a fact! I sadly realized it and never looked back. Even Tieguy has expressed thoughts that he will have a more independent view going forward and he and I have had our differences of opinion but I highly respect what he has come to express. I consider that thinking a growing trend and is very healthy thing for America.

Whether you believe a federal Department of Education is good or not is not the issue but isn't it ironic that prior to the Bush Presidency, he along with tons of republicans were calling for the complete elimination of this bureacracy but here we are 6 years later and not only is it still there but there size and scope have actually grown. Now anyone can misjudge or make a mistake in understanding but not once over the last 6 years have I heard anyone stand up and say, "I know that I said I was gonna kill it but once I got to Washington and got to looking at it real close I saw that it was really needed, etc. etc." Has anyone had the honesty to do this? Not a peep! Instead, they grow the power and scope and not utter a word about it.

IMO, democrats hold the upperhand going into the fall Congressional elections and should do well. What they need to do is tell the tired old retreads that have run that party's Congressional efforts for years to "park it and shut up!" There are some new and dynamic faces within the party so let them take the lead and they will win. Love her or hate her but Sen. Clinton is savy enough to understand the game and even she has moderated her political speech to the point many don't even consider her a leftist lightning rod like she was once thought or portrayed to be. When it comes to politics and the game she's a real pro and you'd be a fool to think otherwise. She's the brains of that family IMO.

Many people are starting to think more as independents rather than specific party identification and this is a very good thing. I don't know how your local politics works but in my area being democrat or republican is for the most part a non-issue. Ideas and position on specific issues is the main matter. Nationally I think the republicans stink (as well as democrats) but locally I've supported and voted for both. My wife during the last 2 county commission elections was the webmaster (unpaid) for our county commission chairman who happens to be a republican. We face a number of issues locally from impact from development that was given carte blache and no real forethought to where do we go in the future. Couple that with regional problems from the surrounding jurisdictions that to be honest, to properly address, will take a concerted effort of them working together and in some cases some services will have to come from a regional concern and not a purely local and that's a hard pill to swallow for a hardedge libertarian like myself but at least I'm fighting to address this as close to home as possible rather than at the State and federal level forcing the rest of you to pay for it.

Get involved locally and make a difference. If we all did that to some degree I can guarantee 2 things will happen. Life in your neighborhood will get better and that means there's 1 less issue that Washington can manipulate, make an endless program of and then waste money and increase the national debt with it. We're way beyond just voting now boys and girls.

Take care Retired and again, nicely expressed post!

tieguy

Banned
retiredone said:
It's not just the spending issue. Taking your example of the war, in the last century it was assumed that the Democrats were the ones who would irresponsbily get us into a war (Wilson, FDR, Truman, Johnson) and the Republicans were the ones who would avoid costly foreign interventions.

I voted Republincan since the 60s, but am so disappointed with Bush and the results of Republican control I switched parties during the last election.

The litmus test on the spending issue should be what if there had been no 9/11 , no war and no need to reorganize and improve our national security. We have made a committment to have a smaller better equipped army that uses some very expenses toys. Any war in the future will automatically earn that sitting president the Spending champ title.

Keep in mind that the democrats supported the war and demanded the improvements in national security when it was politically advantageous to do so.

I don't believe a balance of control fixes the problem. I think it still results in excess partisan bickering. Line item veto and term limits are also required. Kennedys monarchy should have ended a long time ago.

tieguy

Banned
wkmac said:
Whoa! Now that's weird!

Sorry Tie, just got silly for a minute.:thumbup1:

All in good fun. Don't forget though to complete the dream you would either have to become a demcratic or republican stalwart. Selling the benifits of party affiliation. :thumbup1:

If I may get serious for a moment though I have not been as big a supporter of the war as I have been of our troops.

I see the problems we have in Iraq on the national news. I also believe there is much that is positive over there that we don't see.

I believe that our ability to send gigabytes of information around the world in seconds also undermines our support for the war effort which in turn undermines our support for our troops. You can't cleanly seperate the two.

I do hate the concept of war and that fact that we have lost many fine american sons and daughters as well as the sons and daughters of many other nations.

I take some solace in the indisputable fact that Hussien and his fanatics were killing, torturing , raping, maiming so many more innocent iraqi's as they continue to do now under the insurgency. What we see on the news each night is what those cowards were basically doing in that country before the free press was there to show it.

As I've said before in debating this issue on this board the ultimate test of whether this war is a success will be whether this war ends up being the first part of an exercise in region building. If we build a proud democratic example that shows the world that sunnis, shiites and Kurds can politically live vote and breath as one then we win and the entire middle east becomes our friend. The greatest virus we can inject in their existing system is the american virus of democracy and capatilism and the complete assimulation of western Ideals. As long as they live in closed societies and close their minds to the rest of the world the longer they continue to be susceptable to some religious zealots propaganda and thus a threat to the rest of the world.

this would be my humble opinion. :closedeye

retiredone

tieguy said:
The litmus test on the spending issue should be what if there had been no 9/11 , no war and no need to reorganize and improve our national security.
Keep in mind that the democrats supported the war and demanded the improvements in national security when it was politically advantageous to do so.

I agree that the war in Afghanastan added to our expense. However, it does not come close to explaining the increase in expenses under Bush. Bush has spent a considerable amount on domestic expense (The Alaska Bridge to Nowhere, Prescirption Drug Program, Aid to Africa and so on). The prescription drug program especially has cost, and will continue to cost significant amount of money in the future. The initial estimae to the CBO was about half a trillion dollars...and this this increased significantly since the estimate was made in 2004 to over 1.2 Trillion dollars when studied again in 2005. You may recall that many Republican lawmakers were stunned and expressed anger at this cost. There is no fiscal discipline and we may pay a heavy price in the future for the lack of discipline.

I, for one, opposed the Iraq war. Although we could debate this point, I believe that many democrat leaders opposed the war and passed the initial resolution with the hope that it could be used to bully the Iraq government into compliance with the UN sanctions. There were few democrats who were enthusiiastic about a war. I don't believe we can speak to other's position. We can state with certainty that it was Bush who made the decision to go to war and he has full responsibility for that action. I can say that I opposed the war from the start. I will explain my position.

I supported the war in Vietnam. I was young, draft age and I thought it was a good idea. Like many people, I think I got caught up in the enthusiasm. It was interesting because I think that everyone thought that war would be won easily...and hence weren't making serious judgements about the decision. As the war went on, it became clear that it wouldn't be an easy win. It wouldn't be an easy demonstration of US power that would cower our adversaries. It was difficult. It would cost a great deal..both in money in lives. As the cost became clear people abandoned their support for the war. To be frank, my opinion, then and now, is that as long as someone else's son was going to die it was a war worth fighting. But when it becamse their friends or family in harms way, a different standard was applied. Protests started and people did not support the war. As long as it was someone else's son, the war was worth fighting. When it was them in harm's way, it was a differnent matter. I think the term chcken hawk originated then, and it aptly describes those folks who drew the line at their own door.

That expereince made me start to evaluate wars and conflicts differently. I opposed the Iraq war from the beginning because I didn't think it was worth our troops lives. I don't think that the American public's early support was well considered. I think, just like Vietnam, the public evaluated this as a fireworks show (shock and awe) and not a serious, life threatening event.

In retrospect, we found no WMD and the war has diminished, instead of enhancing our national security on many levels. That is from someone who opposed the Iraq war from the beginning. What I did learn from the Vietnam experience is that these decisions have got to be made early...before anyone loses their life...because it's wrong to delay serious consideration of a potential war just because it's someone else in harms way.

tieguy

Banned
"I agree that the war in Afghanastan added to our expense. However, it does not come close to explaining the increase in expenses under Bush. Bush has spent a considerable amount on domestic expense (The Alaska Bridge to Nowhere, Prescirption Drug Program, Aid to Africa and so on). The prescription drug program especially has cost, and will continue to cost significant amount of money in the future. The initial estimae to the CBO was about half a trillion dollars...and this this increased significantly since the estimate was made in 2004 to over 1.2 Trillion dollars when studied again in 2005."

I have mixed feelings on the social spending issues you raise. I believe we should make every effort to help those who need the help. I have usually been suspicious of these do good programs because many tend to create giant ineffective government beaurocracies. One of the few that I actually respect is the aid to africa. I'm actually proud of Bush and his leadership in this area. I don't believe we can truly eradicate diseases in the world until we attack their causes in the underdeveloped countries of asia and africa. This is one area where we clearly can not protect ourselves by building a wall around us. You make some good points. Your democratic leadership could learn from your calm, rational approach. :thumbup1:

retiredone

tieguy said:
I have mixed feelings on the social spending issues you raise. I believe we should make every effort to help those who need the help. I have usually been suspicious of these do good programs because many tend to create giant ineffective government beaurocracies. nderdeveloped countries of asia and africa. uquote]

To be honest, I am flexible on both spending and taxes. I have no problem with spending money, as long as the party sponsoring the legislation is up front about the cost and actually "finds the money" in the budget by either increasing taxes or reducing expenses elsewhere. I have been a big beneficiary of the tax cuts. However, since we are running such large deficits I believe that the tax cuts are an illusion. I would rather increase taxes and eliminate the deficit than to live with this illusion of wealth.

The debt scares me. I feel we are teetering on the edge and if we fall in, everyone loses: rich poor young old black and white. We all go down together if we experience an economic disaster. And because of changes in our society, we are much able to maintain our society in a severe downturn. The thing I have found increasingly attractive about the democrats is their willingness to actually propose taxes. This willingness serves as a restraint on their spending tendencies and makes me feel they are being fiscally responsible and taking the long term view.

Last edited:

dannyboy

From the promised LAND
tax cuts are an illusion

Actually they are not. Tax cuts actually bring in more taxes, by increasing the number of people that pay taxes. When you cut taxes, you spur economic growth, job creation etc, which in turn enlarges the tax base, and there for brings in more money. And what better thought than to spread out taxes over more backs?

d

retiredone

dannyboy said:
Actually they are not. Tax cuts actually bring in more taxes, by increasing the number of people that pay taxes. When you cut taxes, you spur economic growth, job creation etc, which in turn enlarges the tax base, and there for brings in more money. And what better thought than to spread out taxes over more backs?
d

I agree that tax cuts will spur growth and actually increase tax revenues under certain circumstances. However, overall tax revenues have not increased in recent years...Overall tax revenues have been dramatically reduced which has created the huge deficits we are experiencing.

I agree with your suggestion that taxes be spread out over more people. But your point touches on one of the reasons why overall tax revenues are reduced. There is a high minimum where people simply don't have to pay taxes. The rationale for these high minimum income is that these people wouldn't contribute enough tax revenue to make a significant contribution to overall tax collection.

I believe that these folks should still pay taxes...even if the amounts are relatively small. What this would accomplish is to sensitize these folks to the need to control federal spending. Let's face it: if you don't have to pay a bill, you won't care how (or how much) money is spent. I believe that there would be more attention to spending if everyone were required to pay some fair share.

I also agree with the idea of a balanced budget amendment. This was tried a few years ago, and WVA Senator Byrd and a few others went to the Supremes and got a favorable ruling that the proposed law gave the president too much control. I think that they are looking at another version of the law that might get by the Supremes. We need something to control spending. Right now the system works to increase spending.

wkmac

retiredone said:
I also agree with the idea of a balanced budget amendment. This was tried a few years ago, and WVA Senator Byrd and a few others went to the Supremes and got a favorable ruling that the proposed law gave the president too much control. I think that they are looking at another version of the law that might get by the Supremes. We need something to control spending. Right now the system works to increase spending.

In light of the political shifting winds and the recent comments by a wide degree of democrats concerning the need for fiscal control, I wonder if Sen. Byrd and his dog "Billy" are having to rethink and even regret having opposed that position. I also find it interesting that when the other party proposes some legislation that in fact might be good, the "loyal opposition" fights the proposal not so much that the idea is all bad but rather it's not them proposing it. Once the political winds shift then the "loyal opposition" becomes the very proponent of the idea they once opposed.

In the late 90's, both Clinton and Gore publically expressed concerns over the future of Social Security and the need to act now in some way to look in other directions and yes some type of private account was also on the table. Where were the republicans? Scuttling the potential by the impeachment process knowing full good and well it's chance was slim but the idea was to set themselves up for the 2000' White House run and the idea of taking control of not only the WH but also the entire Congress. The republicans could have easily pushed for censure which many democrats supported and they had support to pass but by-passed that. Had they taken this course, it's no doubt that they could have either made Clinton a meaningless figure in Washington but better yet, hold the threat of censure over his head to force him to agree and push their legislative agenda which the point is to legislate the principles and ideals right?

Nope, it's about power. When the republicans sat on the crest of the wave which could insure their agenda they spoiled the deck by doing the Watergate payback deal and thinking this was the pathway to controlling Washington for the decades to come. Oh yes, a number of republicans have admitted the impeachment was as much about Watergate payback as it was anything else. IMO History will prove them wrong in their total thinking. Had they held the "political gun" to Clinton's head it's very probable we could already have various options with Social Security as well as a balanced budget amendment and a much smaller gov't. Hate or love Clinton but gov't growth rate under his watch was vastly smaller than the current bunch even when you factor out 9/11 and it's fallout. A divided house is a healthy house as it relates to the people as the inability to consolidate power means the force of gov't is never able to come fully force to bare against the people.

Republicans blew a huge opportunity because they were never about principles but rather about gaining power and then buying support to maintain it. The key to success for America is one party in the White House and the other party by slim margin holds the Congress.

JMHO.

dannyboy

From the promised LAND
Overall tax revenues have been dramatically reduced which has created the huge deficits we are experiencing.

Nope we are bringing in more money than ever. Problem is we are spending more money than ever. When people talk about budget cuts, they really mean they only get a 25% increase instead of the 75% they were looking to get. These are the cuts we have been told about. And they are not for real.

But the money flow in is increasing. But too many holes in the pockets of uncle sam to keep any there.

d

DS

Fenderbender
Now bush wants troops all along the mexican border,is there anyone left?
What if the japanese attack pearl harbour again?