The job of Center Manager could be outsourced easily

Maple Grove MN Driver

Cocaine Mang!
The Center Manager role is the largest waste of resources at UPS.

They manage nothing. They have zero authority to make decisions.
All they do is open the daily plan email.
Tell Dispatch to cut routes to hit the unrealistic SPC number.
Once drivers leave late because preload couldn't wrap at the right time, they take their 1st meal break.
After their 2 hour break they have a conference call which involves them getting yelled at for failing to implement the previous days poor operation plan.
Time for their second meal break.
Then come back to the office to yell at the OMS.
Leave by 2pm to get an early start on happy hour at the bar.

728ups

All Trash No Trailer
I have nothing concrete to base this on but I am of the opinion that all Management that are center manager and below will eventually be outsourced and subcontractors will be used. The DM makes all of the decisions anyways,and cutting the fat will increase the MIP for Upper management as well as boost the Stock Price. UPS doesn't want Long term Employees and i can see the Low Hanging Fruit picked

rod

Retired 22 years
I have wondered since the center manager's lost all their decision making power how long they would last before being taken out. I'm sure their days are numbered. In my early years we worked at least 3 days a week without ANY management around. We had a "Lead Driver" who make a whopping 10 cents more an hour who was responsible for all the packages being loaded (by us) and had to lock the building up after we had left.

Jones

fILE A GRIEVE!
Staff member
Spent my last 7 years in a feeder group at an outlying center with no management on site. Dispatch was 50 miles away in another state, we had a supervisor assigned to us but he never showed up unless he had to do an annual ride with someone, other than that I talked to him maybe 2-3 times a year. We had our own office with a code lock where we kept our tractor keys and such, if you wanted to put in for an option day we had a fax machine, just fill out the form and fax it to dispatch. It was very smooth and quiet, no drama, everyone just came to work at their start time and did their job. Easily my best years at UPS.

MyTripisCut

Never bought my own handtruck
Spent my last 7 years in a feeder group at an outlying center with no management on site. Dispatch was 50 miles away in another state, we had a supervisor assigned to us but he never showed up unless he had to do an annual ride with someone, other than that I talked to him maybe 2-3 times a year. We had our own office with a code lock where we kept our tractor keys and such, if you wanted to put in for an option day we had a fax machine, just fill out the form and fax it to dispatch. It was very smooth and quiet, no drama, everyone just came to work at their start time and did their job. Easily my best years at UPS.
This sounds like a mirage.
Or like maybe the place they promise terrorists will end up after they blow up twenty innocent families.

Jones

fILE A GRIEVE!
Staff member
Or like maybe the place they promise terrorists will end up after they blow up twenty innocent families.
It was such a complete change from my 18 years in delivery, it definitely took a while to sink in. I kept waiting for the other shoe to drop. Like really, this is it? This is all I have to do now?

silenze

Lunch is the best part of the day
To my knowledge all our feeder management is based out of the hub. So you could be 150 miles from your supervisor.

SandSpida

Once drivers leave late because preload couldn't wrap at the right time, they take their 1st meal break.
After their 2 hour break they have a conference call which involves them getting yelled at for failing to implement the previous days poor operation plan.
Nothing can be changed or added to your statement, well done.

WeAreAllGoingToMakeIt

>The daily plan email

What's inside a daily plan email? Can I get a quick rundown?