The L-396 campaign trail is underway....

Cerritos

To say that Ron H is not at the yard's is simply ludicrous. Not only is he at the yards more than any Secretary Treasurer in the history of Local 396, he is the only Secretary Treasurer in the history of this local that hands out business cards with his personal cell phone number on it.

My business agent is in the yard everyday, that's all we need at my center. I do not expect to see my Secretary Treasurer everyday knowing he has 9,000 members and 45 yards, not mentioning arbitrations, panels, contract negotiations and other business. But I do see him.

I have called him on his cell phone and he has personally taken my calls and provided an answer to my question. And it is always an honest answer based on the contract, not on what I want to hear.

At the Package Center I work, the vote to re-elect Ron H is overwhelmingly yes. RG is getting voted against in a landslide at Pasadena Center, where he worked before going Feeder. These Pasadena Center drivers know RG better than anyone and know him as a backstabbing, selfish worker. In fact, in 2003 RG went to management on another driver who ended up getting fired. But RH got that driver's job back.

Some people vote against Ron because they are upset that Ron enforces the contract fairly and will not cut a special deal that is in violation of the agreement. If someone comes on here complaining about a seniority issue, then it sounds like that person wanted special dispensation. Let's be honest, enforcing seniority is a straightforward issues.

If you do not see your Secretary Treasurer and want to talk with him, call the office, talk with your agent or go to the monthly General Membership meeting. Show a little initiative and it easy to talk with Ron.

Cerritos

I was listening to RG badmouth RH in front of a building the other day to members. I asked him, well didn't he get your job back when you were fired for unreported accident? He turned white and said there was more too it. When I pressed him for an honest answer, he said, give me a call we will talk about it later.

Wow...trying to take the job of a man, who saved your job a man his job. That speaks volume about RG's lack of loyalty and integrity....

The Other Side

Well-Known Troll
Troll
Pretty interesting to read your rhetoric. I don't know what would compel someone to work so diligently in slandering G's name and his supporters when, according to you, G has no shot of winning. If it's a done deal, why work so hard?

I've worked for UPS for 5 years. Know how many times I've seen H's face at my hub? ZERO. No one has ever even pointed him out to me, because he's been a ghost. The only interaction I got from H's slate actually happened a few hours ago.

"How's it going? I'm from Local 396 Teamsters. Have you received your ballot yet?"

Me: "Yeah, got it last Thursday"

"Please tell me you mailed it in"

Me: "Yup, did it the same day"

"Great man, thanks a lot. Now let me ask you something else, did you vote for H?"

That's about as much input I've gotten from H and his supporters. That's all I'm left with. Well, that and a contract he backed that was riddled with concessions. That and the fact that he couldn't even be bothered to field questions once that contract he back was pushed through, and brought someone from a local out of Arizona because, "He knows more about it than I do".

Then there's the issue of full-time seniority being violated at my hub because combos have been increasingly vocal in their displeasure over the job H has done, and stated months before the ballots were even in the mail, that they would be voting H out of office.

I can only assume this was all a valiant attempt to pander to the part-timers who were now given seniority over people who had been working for the company for 20+ years.

Maybe G doesn't have H's experience. Actually, I know he doesn't. But if there's one thing I'm ABSOLUTELY certain of, it's that H has grown complacent through multiple terms in office, and doesn't have our best interests at heart.

His leadership is severely lacking, and his presence is nonexistent. Whatever good he's done within our local has been eclipsed by his monumental missteps that should not be forgotten, nor forgiven.

It's time for new leadership at 396. Anyone that disagrees is either scared of the uncertainty that comes with change (understandable), or has simply invested in a top-shelf set of blinders.

First, let me say that this post was well thought out, well stated and right on the money.

I appreciate the honesty. You are exactly the kind of voter that RH and I spoke of directly. There are several members who share your position and will not vote for RH because of an issue close to them.

RH understands this, but thats where the "listening" comes in. RH knows not everyone is happy with the contract as it played out, RH knows that there are particular issues at certain levels that lacked oversight and RH understands that he needs to address those issues moving forward.

As far as the ballot claim you made, agents and officers will never ask you "WHO" you voted for. They will ask if you recieved your ballot. This is important just in case you DIDNT recieve your ballot. The window is small and getting a replacement ballot can take time. There is nothing wrong with asking these kinds of questions.

Its completely inappropriate to ask how a member voted, especially to someone they "dont" know. I take issue with that assertion.

As for the contract, yes, you are correct, there were plenty of concessions that have upset everyone from part time to feeder. Could RH have done something different? Of course. Did he? Obviously not. But at this point, the contract is in ink and its dry. We have to live with it until 2018, so the question then becomes, of the two slates, who is in the "best" position to defend you and the members should a problem arise?

Why continue to complain about the contents when we cant address them again until 2018??

You have a choice to make in this election, VOTE your conscience and vote against RH because of the issues you have with him and vote in a guy who was unsuccessful as a business agent and so far, unsuccessful as a union candidate for anything he has ever attempted to run for only to punish yourself if you EVER got in trouble enough to need union representation.

Remember, as an executive officer during RG's tenure, I PERSONALLY know his record as a business agent and it wasnt good. From getting good people fired with "BAD" advice to being completely ineffective on the shop floor in handling grievances, RG has NO chance of standing up to the company in tough fights.

This would be the ultimate effect of electing RG to secretary treasurer.

So, the choice is yours.

You have legitimate concerns, and they need to be addressed. As I said before, RH and I had a confrontation during the negotiations for our national contract, and we may not be on the same page with the results, but today, now that the smoke has cleared and business needs to be conducted, RH is willing to adjust to conditions on the ground and make an effort to address those issues like the ones you mentioned.

This is a two horse race, and we have to make the right decision based on our own conscience and experience.

I dont have to sell RH to you or anyone else, I also dont have to "try so hard" to mock RG, I know that as a dues paying member, I want the best possible chance to succeed should I ever need the local to represent me in the next three years.

I have echoed some of your comments about RH and his tenure, losing interest for the membership, and RH and I addressed this issue.

After this election, and when RH wins, I will have to evaluate for myself over the next three years if RH truly listened and made the changes that we spoke of. IF not, going into 2017, I will run against him and he knows this.

We are both professionals, we both understand this business of being a unionist. Its has its ups and downs, but regardless, at this point in time, I SUPPORT Rn Hrra and his administration.

AS for Rch Gvn, well, I hope he moves out of the way and just returns to his job as a feeder driver staying out of local politics. Like MITT ROMNEY, he has had his bites at the apple, and allthough in "some" groups he is popular, even MITT ROMNEY knows he would lose in another election.

I appreciate your comments.

TOS.

IzzyTheNose

To say that Ron H is not at the yard's is simply ludicrous. Not only is he at the yards more than any Secretary Treasurer in the history of Local 396, he is the only Secretary Treasurer in the history of this local that hands out business cards with his personal cell phone number on it.

Don't know what to tell you. I haven't seen him once in 5 years, and I know plenty of people that have no idea what he looks like. I've literally asked guys:

"What do you guys think of H?"
"Who?"
"Our Secretary of Treasury. He runs our local"
"Oh. I've never seen him. I don't even know what any of those guys do. I think it's all just a racket to take money from us"

Most of these guys don't vote either way, and the indifference is pretty staggering. That indifference exists because these guys don't take a more proactive role, or you know...do their jobs. The poor voter turnout year after year is more proof.

They need to inform paying Teamsters why they should have a vested interest in the company and the Union, and explain how they both function. It would also bode well for EVERYONE if they were to illustrate what Union positions entail, and why it's important that they stay involved with Union activities.

My business agent is in the yard everyday, that's all we need at my center. I do not expect to see my Secretary Treasurer everyday knowing he has 9,000 members and 45 yards, not mentioning arbitrations, panels, contract negotiations and other business. But I do see him.

I don't expect to see him every day. But not once in 5 years? Really? How exactly do you defend that? A better question is: why would you defend it at all? Oh, and our B.A. regularly pops up. The distaste for that man within our hub is layered thick. He may be disliked more than H. I know people who have been screwed over by him, and his affiliation is yet another reason why they didn't vote for H.

I have called him on his cell phone and he has personally taken my calls and provided an answer to my question. And it is always an honest answer based on the contract, not on what I want to hear.

Cool...? The fact that you have his personal number doesn't change what I know about the guy. If anything, this only solidifies what I know and what I've heard: he helps those that are in his circle, and is indifferent to those outside of it.

At the Package Center I work, the vote to re-elect Ron H is overwhelmingly yes. RG is getting voted against in a landslide at Pasadena Center, where he worked before going Feeder. These Pasadena Center drivers know RG better than anyone and know him as a backstabbing, selfish worker. In fact, in 2003 RG went to management on another driver who ended up getting fired. But RH got that driver's job back.

I could post equally as damaging anecdotal evidence. But we would just end up going in circles.

Some people vote against Ron because they are upset that Ron enforces the contract fairly and will not cut a special deal that is in violation of the agreement. If someone comes on here complaining about a seniority issue, then it sounds like that person wanted special dispensation. Let's be honest, enforcing seniority is a straightforward issues.

Seniority lists were changed from one week to the next. Lists that had been in effect for YEARS. When the workers who were being violated informed management they would be filing a grievance, management explained they were acting at the behest of the stewards and B.A., both who happen to support H.

This has been going on at my hub for the better part of a year. And like I said, when I asked a steward about why this was going on, he told me he didn't want to go into it. So go on and make more excuses for him.

If you do not see your Secretary Treasurer and want to talk with him, call the office, talk with your agent or go to the monthly General Membership meeting. Show a little initiative and it easy to talk with Ron.

lol, so it's my fault that I haven't seen him once at my hub in 5 years? That's rich.

I started taking a more proactive role within the past year, and plan on becoming a steward. Immediately after becoming more involved, I saw and learned more about H's slate that has cemented my opinion of the man. I've both made my opinions public on everything I have taken in, and listened to people who have worked with the company a good 20-25 years longer than I have.

My displeasure doesn't stem from any one thing, but a culmination of MANY. It did not take me long to see a pattern.

You know what? I could totally forgive not seeing him once in 5 years if that was all it was. It doesn't bother me that much. I merely think it highlights his lack of presence. But everything else? Yeah...he's not getting a "pass". Not from me.

The negatives out-weigh the positives. H not receiving my vote is indicative of the job he's done (or hasn't done). Not because I haven't "show initiative".

The Other Side

Well-Known Troll
Troll
Don't know what to tell you. I haven't seen him once in 5 years, and I know plenty of people that have no idea what he looks like. I've literally asked guys:

"What do you guys think of H?"
"Who?"
"Our Secretary of Treasury. He runs our local"
"Oh. I've never seen him. I don't even know what any of those guys do. I think it's all just a racket to take money from us"

Most of these guys don't vote either way, and the indifference is pretty staggering. That indifference exists because these guys don't take a more proactive role, or you know...do their jobs. The poor voter turnout year after year is more proof.

They need to inform paying Teamsters why they should have a vested interest in the company and the Union, and explain how they both function. It would also bode well for EVERYONE if they were to illustrate what Union positions entail, and why it's important that they stay involved with Union activities.

I don't expect to see him every day. But not once in 5 years? Really? How exactly do you defend that? A better question is: why would you defend it at all? Oh, and our B.A. regularly pops up. The distaste for that man within our hub is layered thick. He may be disliked more than H. I know people who have been screwed over by him, and his affiliation is yet another reason why they didn't vote for H.

Cool...? The fact that you have his personal number doesn't change what I know about the guy. If anything, this only solidifies what I know and what I've heard: he helps those that are in his circle, and is indifferent to those outside of it.

I could post equally as damaging anecdotal evidence. But we would just end up going in circles.

Seniority lists were changed from one week to the next. Lists that had been in effect for YEARS. When the workers who were being violated informed management they would be filing a grievance, management explained they were acting at the behest of the stewards and B.A., both who happen to support H.

This has been going on at my hub for the better part of a year. And like I said, when I asked a steward about why this was going on, he told me he didn't want to go into it. So go on and make more excuses for him.

lol, so it's my fault that I haven't seen him once at my hub in 5 years? That's rich.

I started taking a more proactive role within the past year, and plan on becoming a steward. Immediately after becoming more involved, I saw and learned more about H's slate that has cemented my opinion of the man. I've both made my opinions public on everything I have taken in, and listened to people who have worked with the company a good 20-25 years longer than I have.

My displeasure doesn't stem from any one thing, but a culmination of MANY. It did not take me long to see a pattern.

You know what? I could totally forgive not seeing him once in 5 years if that was all it was. It doesn't bother me that much. I merely think it highlights his lack of presence. But everything else? Yeah...he's not getting a "pass". Not from me.

The negatives out-weigh the positives. H not receiving my vote is indicative of the job he's done (or hasn't done). Not because I haven't "show initiative".

Standing by your convictions earns respect. You have mine.

TOS.

Wow ! The last general membership meeting before the ballots are counted and no sign of the G slate or any of their supporters . only 1 guy showed up wearing an old G shirt, he felt so out of place there he was going to leave ! I asked him if no one from the slate bothered to call him and tell him the members of 396 aren't important enough to answer any questions or just plain show some respect for us!
They asked,called us by phone begging for our votes but not important to be visible. This is costing us members of 396 about $45- $65,000 for this Election!! Money that should be used for more important things like : organizing , steward training,voter education so we can fight the real battles that all unions must face, union busters, politicians not for working families , Greedy companies like UPS ,Waste management and Fed ex
When you run for office these are real issues that you better be able to solve ! Not slamming others and not having solutions is like a Monday morning quarterback with all the winning plays.
Advice to the Gslate
1. Be a man , show up to all yards, answer questions
2. Give out facts about you , examples of grievances won, arbitrations won , contracts negotiated etc, this won't take too much space on a flyer or mailer as we all know those answers.
3. For both UPS and Sanitation companies , please plus translation for our brothers & sisters in those industries.
4. And most important please keep outside entities out of our union!! The Dumb Useless . or tdu
Guys who haven't been union ( B. U. ) for 15 yrs wearing 396 shirts, retirees who couldn't do the job when they were active ,stay out! If you had any use to the members you wouldn't be retired! Get a hobby,read or even write, maybe become a DJ. Spin some records instead of lies.
5. Loyalty :
Can't teach that, either you have this or you don't.
Oblisously not one of your strong points
Not loyal to all members, current administration, JC 42 or the IBT. All this hurts us 396 members because at one point or another there comes a time to work together for the better of us all. You would keep us down and single us out with no one to help us out.
All in all I don't think your a bad guy! Just the wrong guy to lead our local in the right direction. Keep dreaming big but take baby steps become active in the union , come to the meetings and not just every 3 years , do some rally's , see what the union does for its communities .
Thanks for showing us what you are made of and how important or like you said " putting members first ". Live by your motto ,follow your slogan.
The G slate think about helping the members not hurting them and their families.

Hawfuh Sux

Old Guard Assassin!
This election will cost about $20,000 to $25,000, so stop over exaggerating. You remind me of that tool in Arizona Andy M that Ron H and the rest of the Southwest over glorified. Now that sellout is also being challenged because his members like Ron H aren't to happy with him either. The members have the right to exercise their democratic rights and run every three years and there's nothing any you :censored2: can do to stop that.

What did their experience do when they sold the members out with this garbage of a contract?

Last edited by a moderator:
Like I said, outsider mind your own business, stay out of 396°ers business. Nothing costs the same these days. That includes milk, gas , insurance and yes elections ! Your meds that your not taking too! I know that your not even involved in your own local otherwise you wouldn't be in our business.
Yes we have a right to run for office but please have a plan. Have solutions not insults, have creditability , experience and dedication for your union.
As for you , you don't know our Local or its history, how we vote , who we support .
All you know is all those tdu losers!
You have enough rebuilding in your own organization of losers. Fix your mess up, plenty of work there so stay out of other Locals business.

Last edited by a moderator:

The Other Side

Well-Known Troll
Troll
Ballot counting starts on monday evening in local 396.

A new begining for local 396 will have to start on tuesday for the RH administration. Move forward, hear the membership, and accept that they are angry with you.

Make the right changes and lead by becoming involved. Rely less on your agents and spend time in the yards addressing some issues personally.

Show the membership that you hear them loud and clear.

Work to slow the process of harrassment of ORION on package car drivers by personally involving yourself with the drivers and hearing their complaints.

Get the gypos out of our yards during the year. Look to see that UPS is hiring new drivers and giving them the best chance of making the 30 days, instead of the current process of 28 and done, then sent back. See that the process is fair and doable vs. "rigged" to send these young men and women back.

Improve the conditions of our members by forcing the company to create better locker rooms that are clean and sanitary, with more lockers for both men and women.

The list is long, but with hard work, these things can be accomplished.

As for the RG Slate, well, your now all toxic and of no help to future slates. Move on.

TOS.

Evil

What are the numbers you're expecting on this election?

Three years ago 3300 voted and 500 ballots were left aside and not counted because they were less then the difference Ron H won by.

The Other Side

Well-Known Troll
Troll
What are the numbers you're expecting on this election?

Three years ago 3300 voted and 500 ballots were left aside and not counted because they were less then the difference Ron H won by.

There are always DISCOUNTED ballots because of one reason or the other. Not all ballots that come in are legitimate to be counted.

A member could be behind in dues, or no longer working for a teamster company and in bad standing with the local.

Provisional ballots are set aside if they are completed incorrectly. They are only considered if the contest is close enough for them to matter.

In RG's case, he has never been in the contest from the jump, so provisional ballots didnt need to be counted.

This year will be no different.

My predictions stand. We will see how it plays out on monday night. I will recieve confirmation as soon as the tallies are verified.

This election will end up as a referendum on RG's ability to connect with the membership, and no future "patting" on the back from TDU will change his fate in local politics.

TOS.

Evil

There are always DISCOUNTED ballots because of one reason or the other. Not all ballots that come in are legitimate to be counted.

A member could be behind in dues, or no longer working for a teamster company and in bad standing with the local.

Provisional ballots are set aside if they are completed incorrectly. They are only considered if the contest is close enough for them to matter.

In RG's case, he has never been in the contest from the jump, so provisional ballots didnt need to be counted.

This year will be no different.

My predictions stand. We will see how it plays out on monday night. I will recieve confirmation as soon as the tallies are verified.

This election will end up as a referendum on RG's ability to connect with the membership, and no future "patting" on the back from TDU will change his fate in local politics.

TOS.
So you don't know how many ballots had been received as of today, right?

Although I am not a 396 member, RH is an international trustee and is part of a group that has negotiated contracts that have allowed me to provide for my family. Thank you RH for that; and for that, I will be rooting for you. My experience over the decades has taught me that if an incumbent's challengers have only gripes and can't state a clear step by step plan of action then the best vote is the vote for the experienced incumbents. Good luck to you RH.

Although I am not a 396 member, RH is an international trustee and is part of a group that has negotiated contracts that have allowed me to provide for my family. Thank you RH for that; and for that, I will be rooting for you. My experience over the decades has taught me that if an incumbent's challengers have only gripes and can't state a clear step by step plan of action then the best vote is the vote for the experienced incumbents. Good luck to you RH.

I agree!