The lawncare/landscape thread.

oldngray

nowhere special
Buy them at WalMart at end of season for a little over $100 - normally about $150.
Just a mower and a blade ... no push, no catcher, etc. makes it very light.

I have a little mower like that too (MTD). Without a grass catcher or any extras doesn't weigh much and I use it for almost everything. I seldom use my big riding mower any more.

Catatonic

Nine Lives
I have a little mower like that too (MTD). Without a grass catcher or any extras doesn't weigh much and I use it for almost everything. I seldom use my big riding mower any more.
When my riding lawnmower mower seized up (20 years old at least), I did not replace it.
I do have a Kubota 18 hp tractor with a bush hog, scrapper, box blade and front-end loader that I use a lot though.

Catatonic

Nine Lives
MTD is a good value mower too.
I wouldn't be surprised if they don't make the Murrays ... look identical except colors.

oldngray

nowhere special
Exactly ... same thing I did with Toros except at 1/3 the price.

I had a Toro a long time ago. It looked good but didn't cut grass any better. My sister was using it and tried to mow a rock and it broke the same as a cheap mower. The blade didn't break but the axle did.

joeboodog

good people drink good beer
MTD makes just about all the power equipment sold at big box stores.
MTD is built locally but is total crap. I had a Troy-built tractor from Lowe's was garbage. Two years ago I found a 54 inch cut Husqvarna lawn tractor on Craig's list for $900. Add on $300 front end repair and it works like a charm.

oldngray

nowhere special
MTD is built locally but is total crap. I had a Troy-built tractor from Lowe's was garbage. Two years ago I found a 54 inch cut Husqvarna lawn tractor on Craig's list for $900. Add on $300 front end repair and it works like a charm.
A lot of the stuff is crap but better cheap crap than spending more and it still being crap. A few brands are really good but a lot isn't any more.

rod

Retired 22 years
A lot of the stuff is crap but better cheap crap than spending more and it still being crap. A few brands are really good but a lot isn't any more.

Even the smaller John Deere riders are cheaply built now days. The ones Home Depot sales are really cheaply built (or so my local JD dealer salesman says) (I'm not sure if he was BS'ing or not).

oldngray

nowhere special
Even the smaller John Deere riders are cheaply built now days. The ones Home Depot sales are really cheaply built (or so my local JD dealer salesman says) (I'm not sure if he was BS'ing or not).

Thats the problem. Too much is junk that relies on name brand.

rod

Retired 22 years
I have 2 push mowers, 2 self propelled and a 42" JD rider. My favorite one (not counting the JD rider) is a little 20" one that I found sitting in a front yard for sale for $20---sign said don't run). I gave him 10 bucks for it - took it home and tuned it up (Briggs & Stratton) and it hasn't missed a beat in probably 20+ years. It has absolutely NO safety stuff on it and weighs nothing.

oldngray

nowhere special
I have 2 push mowers, 2 self propelled and a 42" JD rider. My favorite one (not counting the JD rider) is a little 20" one that I found sitting in a front yard for sale for $20---sign said don't run). I gave him 10 bucks for it - took it home and tuned it up (Briggs & Stratton) and it hasn't missed a beat in probably 20+ years. It has absolutely NO safety stuff on it and weighs nothing.

Old Briggs were some of the best mowers ever made. Those engines will run forever. Not the new made in China crap.

rod

Retired 22 years
Old Briggs were some of the best mowers ever made. Those engines will run forever. Not the new made in China crap.

I have an old gas powered water pump that has a real old Briggs on it. 20's or 30's (I don't know but its really old). It has some kind of a drip feed carb on it that stumps everyone. If I tinker with it I can still get it to run.