The next debacle: Central Dispatch

Brownslave688

You want a toe? I can get you a toe.
But dispatching stops and Orion are two different things.
well yes. I am just saying from a computer programing/theoretical point of view taking a delivery area and number of routes and number of stops and optimizing it all should be an easier task than what orion tries to do.

542thruNthru

well yes. I am just saying from a computer programing/theoretical point of view taking a delivery area and number of routes and number of stops and optimizing it all should be an easier task than what orion tries to do.
I disagree. Having someone that's not even in the building going off of horrible numbers to figure out each trucks dispatch sounds like a disaster to me.

quad decade guy

Isn't this the way it was back when?

IE designed routes as a whole. The center team massaged them for efficiency. The driver fine tuned them to perfection. A good center team allowed a seasoned driver to run his route for the most efficiency(generally). A driver knew break times, closures, lunch, where to go, who to trust and count on for a favor(when in a bind) etc. The customers counted on their UPS guy like clockwork. That's how it used to be. The strike and going public changed all that forever.

A regular CPU feeder run can be fine tuned by a driver too....to a point. Little tricks of the trade.....

The problem with CD in FEEDERS is that the yard and customer scenarios are rarely as written.

Our yard is huge. Trailers aren't where they are supposed to be. If a new guy or vet goes to a new yard, hub etc. and doesn't know the procedures for that yard....who is he going to ask? Someone in Mumbai? Some hubs are completely deserted over night.....

Jakamoe

I work for teamsters, UPS contracted me
Isn't this the way it was back when?

IE designed routes as a whole. The center team massaged them for efficiency. The driver fine tuned them to perfection. A good center team allowed a seasoned driver to run his route for the most efficiency(generally). A driver knew break times, closures, lunch, where to go, who to trust and count on for a favor(when in a bind) etc. The customers counted on their UPS guy like clockwork. That's how it used to be. The strike and going public changed all that forever.

A regular CPU feeder run can be fine tuned by a driver too....to a point. Little tricks of the trade.....

The problem with CD in FEEDERS is that the yard and customer scenarios are rarely as written.

Our yard is huge. Trailers aren't where they are supposed to be. If a new guy or vet goes to a new yard, hub etc. and doesn't know the procedures for that yard....who is he going to ask? Someone in Mumbai? Some hubs are completely deserted over night.....
That was 25 years ago, ups has changed, the customer expectations have changed and the mail system as a whole has changed. 25 years ago you ordered a package and it took weeks to months to get it to a customer's front door. Now it takes a day. I don't believe customers are suffering on any level.

Every yard has a shifter, or will have one eventually. You show up to an unfamiliar yard, find a member of mgmt. Ask them what do to do, if they don't know than use your best judgment and either a) ask said sup if you can drop the trailer somewhere. Or b) drop the trailer somewhere safe and let that yards shifter get it. There really is no problem with a CD, I think you're overthinking a bit.

quad decade guy

That was 25 years ago, ups has changed, the customer expectations have changed and the mail system as a whole has changed. 25 years ago you ordered a package and it took weeks to months to get it to a customer's front door. Now it takes a day. I don't believe customers are suffering on any level.

Every yard has a shifter, or will have one eventually. You show up to an unfamiliar yard, find a member of mgmt. Ask them what do to do, if they don't know than use your best judgment and either a) ask said sup if you can drop the trailer somewhere. Or b) drop the trailer somewhere safe and let that yards shifter get it. There really is no problem with a CD, I think you're overthinking a bit.
Not true. So many declarative statements are just not true.

We have hundreds of yards where the arriving driver shifts....fact.

I go to yards where there is no person THERE. Using your best "judgement" could screw them royally.....

Again, I can think of hundreds of problems.....who is going to solve them?

I think you are underthinking it by a mile.

Shrug.

Jakamoe

Not true. So many declarative statements are just not true.

We have hundreds of yards where the arriving driver shifts....fact.

I go to yards where there is no person THERE. Using your best "judgement" could screw them royally.....

Again, I can think of hundreds of problems.....who is going to solve them?

I think you are underthinking it by a mile.

Shrug.

This is not your problem. Ups has always been a reactionary company. Something has to mess up before it gets fixed. That may be the problem, you're fixing too many mistakes done by ups. I'm not saying it doesn't hurt to help out when/where you can, but if there is a massive problem, over and over again, it has to fail before they fix it. It is not your responsibility to cover for that.

If you keep covering mistakes for ups, then yes, the next person is going to have a problem and a situation will arise that could royally screw a center/hub. If there's no system put in place, there's no order.

By you* I mean drivers in general, not necessarily you personally.

Give the townspeople bread, they survive for a day. Teach them to fish, they live a lifetime. Short term fixes hurt the customer, ups and drivers more than solving the issues systematically.

Jakamoe

You are paid handsomely to haul a box. You choose to do mgmts job for them without extra compensation. Yes, a problem that occurs rarely or uniquely, have at it, be a "professional" and handle that situation as it comes. Mgmts job is manage and maintain a smooth performance as much as possible. If you're having issues almost daily that's a failure on mgmt.
I don't have daily problems because I've worked with mgmt to fix the issues. Yes, of course I'll have the occasionally hang up, and I'll take care of it as best I can, but it is not my job to fix on going issues. Luckily I have a good sup who listens and fixes issues. Maybe you don't have that, and I feel for you if you don't. I know how terrible mgmt can be, we all do.

quad decade guy

No, I don’t. Most of what I say here is said in jest with a little bit of bitching peppered in. What you do is bitch, piss, and moan every time you post.

Yes. You are literally the poster child for a whiny little bitch.
OOOHKAY....

You bitch but it's just witty and clever....k

But I'm just off my meds.....k.

quad decade guy

You are paid handsomely to haul a box. You choose to do mgmts job for them without extra compensation. Yes, a problem that occurs rarely or uniquely, have at it, be a "professional" and handle that situation as it comes. Mgmts job is manage and maintain a smooth performance as much as possible. If you're having issues almost daily that's a failure on mgmt.
I don't have daily problems because I've worked with mgmt to fix the issues. Yes, of course I'll have the occasionally hang up, and I'll take care of it as best I can, but it is not my job to fix on going issues. Luckily I have a good sup who listens and fixes issues. Maybe you don't have that, and I feel for you if you don't. I know how terrible mgmt can be, we all do.
You work at UPS....right?

LOLOLOLOLOL.

Yep, just skipping through the day with martini lunches...under a rainbow while riding a unicorn...k.