The next three weeks....

toonertoo

Most Awesome Dog
Staff member
$3200 a month in Central States plus $208 a month right now for my part time years with a penalty for retiring before the age of 65. So thats $3400 a month, subtract $400 a month for health insurance, then however much our thrifty US government cuts out of the check.
But if you add in a job, you might actually enjoy, you are even!

soberups

Pees in the brown Koolaid
And then their burned out the rest of the year, not smart in my opinion lol.
I dont like the heat, so I really prefer to take most of my vacations in the summer. I also take one in late September for an annual salmon fishing trip, and sometimes a week for hunting, but around here the weather is cold and wet and dreary from mid October thru April and I dont want to burn a week of vacation in the winter when I could be making good money without having to sweat.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

Do any of you plan your vacations around major events on your route? For example, one of our Lake Placid drivers was off last week so as not to deal with the mayhem known as the Ironman. When I had my country run, which had 2 summer camps, I would take the week off when the kids moved in and the week off when they moved out. My current run has a college on it and the week when the kids start school is very busy, especially when the move to online book rentals (Cheggs), and I have thought about taking that week off, but my vacation philosophy since the kids have left is to take weeks with holidays for the extra money.

TooTechie

Geek in Brown
Do any of you plan your vacations around major events on your route? For example, one of our Lake Placid drivers was off last week so as not to deal with the mayhem known as the Ironman. When I had my country run, which had 2 summer camps, I would take the week off when the kids moved in and the week off when they moved out. My current run has a college on it and the week when the kids start school is very busy, especially when the move to online book rentals (Cheggs), and I have thought about taking that week off, but my vacation philosophy since the kids have left is to take weeks with holidays for the extra money.
You've called yourself a runner gunner so if its extra cash you're looking for, why not work at a more reasonable pace and take the weeks off that will make your life easier/more enjoyable?

Sent from my 28 year old brown truck

bottomups

Bad Moon Risen'
There is more to life than money.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

40 hours a week would be enough for me. Unfortunately, I am averaging over 53 hours a week paid this year.
I would take any days off that I can get.

We get 45 hours of pay when we take a vacation. Combine that with 8 hours (used to be 16 for T-Day week) for the holiday for the 53 hours. I average 42 hours.

Speaking of T-Day. When I bid my vacations in January I took that week specifically for the two holidays. The company has now made Black Friday an operational day. Does this mean that I will lose one of my holiday pay days? Is there any chance that I can grieve this?

bottomups

Bad Moon Risen'
We get 45 hours of pay when we take a vacation. Combine that with 8 hours (used to be 16 for T-Day week) for the holiday for the 53 hours. I average 42 hours.

Speaking of T-Day. When I bid my vacations in January I took that week specifically for the two holidays. The company has now made Black Friday an operational day. Does this mean that I will lose one of my holiday pay days? Is there any chance that I can grieve this?
You will not lose your holiday pay. It is still a paid holiday per the contract. Anyone forced to work will receive both holiday pay and pay for all hours worked. Hours worked will be double time in my local.

TooTechie

Geek in Brown
. The company has now made Black Friday an operational day. Does this mean that I will lose one of my holiday pay days? Is there any chance that I can grieve this?
You're paid like it's Veteran's day. You get the holiday pay no matter what and if you work the day as well you'd get whatever your supplement pays in addition. So here it would be time and a half for the hours worked plus the 8 hours holiday pay.

They're not going to work everyone on Black Friday. Lots of routes will be out because of there being no pickups the day before and many businesses will be closed that day anyway so we'll be taking a bunch of packages out for a ride on the brown truck only to be re-attempted on monday. The residential that we get delivered that Friday though should ease the pain of Monday a little.

jumpman23

Oh Yeah
You've called yourself a runner gunner so if its extra cash you're looking for, why not work at a more reasonable pace and take the weeks off that will make your life easier/more enjoyable?

Sent from my 28 year old brown truck
I don't like the blazing heat either but it is what it is, always mind over matter in the heat. I like to do 1 in mid January, 1 in march which is always the week of ncaa tournament , 1in mid june, 1 in sept week after labor day, 1in oct and 1 in November to get a lil rest before all hell breaks loose for peak. Like I said rule of thumb on this job is really 8 to 12 weeks you start getting burned out working that many weeks in a row without rest time.

joeboodog

good people drink good beer
I have been hearing somebody warming up in the distance and I'm starting to take a liking to my beard. Anything is possible.

I know the feeling. I was off for three months with my knee, worked three weeks, and have been on vacation for July. I dread going back to work. I really could get used to being retired.

By The Book

I don't think you will lose the Friday being paid as a holiday. It's in the contract as a paid holiday. The difference is the guys who don't have that week as a vacation week may have to work it. They will be paid the holiday plus their supplemental rate for hours worked .