The Official Brown Cafe Racing Thread

MonavieLeaker

Bringin Teh_Lulz
NASCAR has suspended Sprint Cup driver Jeremy Mayfield under terms of its substance abuse policy - immediately and indefinitely - in advance of Saturday night’s race at Darlington (S.C.) Raceway.

Mayfield was found to have violated Sections 12-1 (actions detrimental to stock car racing) and 7-5 (violation of the NASCAR substance abuse policy) of the 2009 NASCAR rule book. The determination was based on findings at last weekend’s race at Richmond (Va.) International Raceway.

NASCAR on Saturday announced the action in a news conference at the South Carolina track.

The suspension is the first under NASCAR’s drug policies for a driver at the top level, the Sprint Cup Series.

Mayfield, from Owensboro, Ky., owns the team that fields the No. 41 Toyotas in the Cup series under the Mayfield Motorsports banner.

He debuted in1994 in NASCAR’s elite series, then called the Winston Cup Series, but was released the following season. He competed with a number of teams, including those of Cale Yarborough, Michael Kranefuss and Roger Penske and won his first career race, the Pocono 500, in the mid-1990s.

In 2002, Mayfield signed with Evernham Motorsports and won two years later and qualified for the inaugural Chase, in which he finished 10th. After another win in 2005, but otherwise lackluster results, he was released in August 2006. Mayfield signed with Bill Davis Racing for 2007 and, after failing to post a top-20 finish, was released. In 2008, he joined Haas CNC Racing and recorded a best of 16th before he was again let go. And, later in 2008, he subbed for the injured Dario Franchitti in a Chip Ganassi Dodge, starting 10th at Dover International Speedway and finishing 28th.

Mayfield's story was a fan favorite during this season’s Speedweeks at Daytona International Speedway, where he raced his way into the Daytona 500.

In September, NASCAR announced that it would adapt a random drug-testing policy for its drivers, over-the-wall pit crew members and NASCAR officials beginning with the 2009 season.

NASCAR's previous policy permitted testing when officials had a "reasonable suspicion."

The new policy mandated that all drivers in NASCAR's three national series - Sprint Cup, Nationwide and Truck - would be tested early in the seaosn at Daytona International Speedway by personnel with the AEGIS Sciences Corp., a sports and forensic certified testing laboratory.

All team owners were required to verify that all licensed crew members had been tested by a certified lab before the season.

Ferrari_Tifoso

Anyone follow Formula 1? In any case, the latest is that F1 may be close to comming to an end. Ferrari and several other manufacturer teams have threaten to pull out of the sport if the new rules for 2010 stay in place. The new rules basically would turn F1 into a two tier racing series. Teams can chose to compete under a 40 million GBP cap and have much more technical freedom (adjustable rear wing, engines with no rev limiter, etc), or spend whatever they want and race under the current restrictive rules.

Most likely a compromise will be reached, but this isn't a bluff on Ferrari's side. They really are prepared to leave the sport they have competed in for the last 60 years. There have even been talks of the manufactures starting up their own open wheel racing series, minus the FIA of course. I really hope things get settled out. It would be a shame to lose F1 just when there was gonna a fully American team entering the Championship.

MonavieLeaker

Bringin Teh_Lulz
This weekend's NHRA event marks the 1 year anniversary of Scott Kalitta's fatal crash...RIP :sad-little:

[video=youtube;IYpnbAXQEm0]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IYpnbAXQEm0[/video]

wkmac

MonavieLeaker,

I noticed your avatar the other day and with this weekend being Etown just wanted to say how much I appreciate it.

Not sure if you saw Phil Burgess's column from July 7, 2008' "Dragster Inside" at NHRA.com entitled "Dry Hops in Heaven" but leading up to Etown, he's republished it again.

I noticed your pics from the Gators and not sure how old you are but thought if you hadn't you might enjoy Phil's article. I'm old school from the 70's and lots of these guys now gone are who I watched and in a few cases knew. As sad as it was to loose Scott, Phil's piece took away some of the sting and as the memories came flooding back, some of the misty eyes turned to smiled, grins and down right laughs.

I know massive fuel pumps, dual mags, tons of overdrive and computer data make the sport the 4 sec./300 mph sheer rush that it is but for me, bring back single pumps, single mags, 2 speed lencos and those iconic dry hops and I'm happy as can be with 6.10, 220 mph runs all day long. It's when the cars didn't say Castrol, UPS or Budweiser, they said Blue Max, Chi-Town Hustler, Jungle Jim or my fav. War Eagle! Huge, Huge, Dale Pulde fan!

5dale77.JPG

This car in 1977' used a stock stroke 426 hemi and the word is, burnt only 9 pistons all season while winning the IHRA Funny Car Championship. Long smokey burnouts (Chi-Town and Jungle Jim not uncommon to end up a lot closer to the 1000 ft. mark than to the starting line when the smoke cleared) and those dry hops! Nothing will ever compare to that IMO.

Don't keep up like I use too as thanks to Steve Evans and the old TNN Sports Cavalcade, I got hooked on dirt roundy/round and open wheel, especially with the wings on the lid in the 1990's. Just lost the appeal to drag racing although I been watching ADRL and the Nostalgia Drag Racing for which Dale Pulde has brought the War Eagle back out and running the car. Here's a YouTube of the recent 2009' March Meet at Famosa Dragway and you can see the War Eagle at the 4:30 mark into the video. Notice all the FC's look like actual cars from the street.

[video=youtube;QiQ0eNFNlqo]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QiQ0eNFNlqo[/video]

And speaking of heaven and FC's, here's a great piece about 1970's Chicago and FC's from a great website, CompetitionPlus.

MonavieLeaker

Bringin Teh_Lulz
MonavieLeaker,

I noticed your avatar the other day and with this weekend being Etown just wanted to say how much I appreciate it.

Not sure if you saw Phil Burgess's column from July 7, 2008' "Dragster Inside" at NHRA.com entitled "Dry Hops in Heaven" but leading up to Etown, he's republished it again.

I noticed your pics from the Gators and not sure how old you are but thought if you hadn't you might enjoy Phil's article. I'm old school from the 70's and lots of these guys now gone are who I watched and in a few cases knew. As sad as it was to loose Scott, Phil's piece took away some of the sting and as the memories came flooding back, some of the misty eyes turned to smiled, grins and down right laughs.

I know massive fuel pumps, dual mags, tons of overdrive and computer data make the sport the 4 sec./300 mph sheer rush that it is but for me, bring back single pumps, single mags, 2 speed lencos and those iconic dry hops and I'm happy as can be with 6.10, 220 mph runs all day long. It's when the cars didn't say Castrol, UPS or Budweiser, they said Blue Max, Chi-Town Hustler, Jungle Jim or my fav. War Eagle! Huge, Huge, Dale Pulde fan!

5dale77.JPG

This car in 1977' used a stock stroke 426 hemi and the word is, burnt only 9 pistons all season while winning the IHRA Funny Car Championship. Long smokey burnouts (Chi-Town and Jungle Jim not uncommon to end up a lot closer to the 1000 ft. mark than to the starting line when the smoke cleared) and those dry hops! Nothing will ever compare to that IMO.

Don't keep up like I use too as thanks to Steve Evans and the old TNN Sports Cavalcade, I got hooked on dirt roundy/round and open wheel, especially with the wings on the lid in the 1990's. Just lost the appeal to drag racing although I been watching ADRL and the Nostalgia Drag Racing for which Dale Pulde has brought the War Eagle back out and running the car. Here's a YouTube of the recent 2009' March Meet at Famosa Dragway and you can see the War Eagle at the 4:30 mark into the video. Notice all the FC's look like actual cars from the street.

YouTube - Drag Racing Nitro Nostalgia Funny Cars March Meet 2009

And speaking of heaven and FC's, here's a great piece about 1970's Chicago and FC's from a great website, CompetitionPlus.

Im 28...Just got into drag racing this year although I did kinda follow it last year......Cool vids....I'll check out those articles :happy2:.......Coworker of mine heard that NHRA is looking into 413 CU & 15% blower pressure for the Nitro cars

Last edited:

navigator

watch for new company E-1, working on new car all Battery, they think will need 3 battery change pr race. car comes into pitt battery is ejected as car rolls in and new is inserted.. Two cars shipped to Japan for testing. three builders all ready into this. all battery up front and motor on axles. all I know. this family is now moving to NC to be part of this operation

BLACKBOX

Life is a Highway...
What's with the UPS Racing Team and David Ragan? Was it a good move to move to Ford instead of Toyota? With Denny Hamlin winning at Pocono again, I was hoping for some good things with the # 6 car but its just not happening this year.

Here we go again...Ragan to start at the 40th slot at Watkins Glen, FDX to start 3rd....man! nothing to get excited about.

morgahorse

Anyone follow Formula 1? In any case, the latest is that F1 may be close to comming to an end. Ferrari and several other manufacturer teams have threaten to pull out of the sport if the new rules for 2010 stay in place. The new rules basically would turn F1 into a two tier racing series. Teams can chose to compete under a 40 million GBP cap and have much more technical freedom (adjustable rear wing, engines with no rev limiter, etc), or spend whatever they want and race under the current restrictive rules.

Most likely a compromise will be reached, but this isn't a bluff on Ferrari's side. They really are prepared to leave the sport they have competed in for the last 60 years. There have even been talks of the manufactures starting up their own open wheel racing series, minus the FIA of course. I really hope things get settled out. It would be a shame to lose F1 just when there was gonna a fully American team entering the Championship.

How about Massa getting whacked in the head and now Schumacher is going to fill in probably for the rest of the season.

I'm suffering withdrawals with this summer break.