The Official Brown Cafe Racing Thread

rod

Retired 22 years
Just got back from the last local dirt track race of the season. Got down to 34 degrees- about froze my butt off but the racing was pretty good. I just about went back to Knoxville this weekend for the 3 day "late model" show. I would have but I couldn't find anyone that wanted to go with. Next year I'm going even if its by myself. Lifes too short to miss a good late model race.

Just got back from the last local dirt track race of the season. Got down to 34 degrees- about froze my butt off but the racing was pretty good. I just about went back to Knoxville this weekend for the 3 day "late model" show. I would have but I couldn't find anyone that wanted to go with. Next year I'm going even if its by myself. Lifes too short to miss a good late model race.

You just have to say something in advance.

MonavieLeaker

Bringin Teh_Lulz
Jeff Byrd, Bristol Motor Speedway and Dragway President and General Manager, passed away today following a lengthy illness. He was 60.

The dynamic Byrd, one of the most respected and admired leaders in racing, had been at the helm of BMS since January of 1996 when Speedway Motorsports, Inc., purchased the Bristol facility. Under his leadership, the track became the most popular venue on the NASCAR tour. Prior to his move to BMS, Byrd served 23 years in the sports marketing department at R.J. Reynolds Tobacco Co., departing as vice president of business development. He began his career as a sportswriter at the Winston-Salem Journal.

Byrd is survived by his wife of 36 years, Claudia, daughter Belton Caldwell and her husband Jerry, son Christian Byrd and his wife Amy, seven grandchildren and an extended family of more than 70 fellow employees.

“From his days as a sportswriter to his time at R.J. Reynolds to the last 14 years, Jeff Byrd was one of the greatest promoters both stock car and drag racing has known,” said Speedway Motorsports Chairman and CEO O. Bruton Smith. “To say his passing leaves a void would be an understatement.

“Simply put, Jeff got it. He understood that more than what happened on the track, it was the experience that fans took home with them that stayed in their memories. And those fans, and the people he worked with at Bristol Motor Speedway, were truly like family to him. Because of the mindset that he possessed, Jeff will stay in our hearts and memories forever. ”

A 35-year veteran in the sports marketing profession, Byrd was involved in the development and implementation of a multitude of sports and event marketing programs across the sports spectrum.

Byrd was extremely active in numerous civic organizations and had made a tremendous impact in the Tri-Cities community, as well as his church, First Presbyterian in Kingsport, where he was a longtime member. He was involved with a number of charitable groups and he and his wife Claudia organized and spearheaded the Bristol Chapter of Speedway Children’s Charities, a non-profit agency dedicated to aiding children in need in Northeast Tennessee and Southwest Virginia.

A native of Winston-Salem, N.C., Byrd received his B.A. degree in history and politics from Wake Forest University.

wkmac

I knew about Shane's accident but OMG! I had no idea that the halo bars got pancaked. I've seen cars bicycle but never go into a wall like that. Or at least at that amount of speed. Saw what I thought was the worse wreck ever several years ago at our track when Jon Stanbrough in a USAC Sprinter had a horrible crash that we thought had crushed the halo but didn't. Jon was lifeflighted to a local trama center but about 2 hours later the track announcer told the crowd that Jon was OK and even up walking aorund. The crowd went wild with joy.

I know Shane has a long road ahead and what makes this worse, if it can be, is that Shane was coming back from his lifetime ban from NASCAR thanks to the good folks at USAC who were willing to give the man a chance. Hope only the best for Shane going forward as this will be a long uphill struggle to say the least.

mattwtrs

Retired Senior Member
I agree that video really put his wreck in to perspective about why racing is a dangerous sport and he was the only car on the track.

Here's to a speedy recovery!

stevetheupsguy

sʇǝʌǝʇɥǝndsƃnʎ
ViewMedia

rod

Retired 22 years
enjoy:

[video=youtube;gdurOMcCnOY]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gdurOMcCnOY[/video]

I know I posted this on 2 sites but it really does belong here

Nimnim

The Nim
2011 Nascar Year starts with Bud Shoot Out on Saturday, who is headed to Daytona?

Eh, I could but have no desire. The sun is evil, and I don't care to be around so many people in such a situation. I went to the Gatornationals like 7 years ago. Enjoyed it, but dealing with the sun and crowd was more than I care to deal with.

wkmac

A long, trusted friend has now left us. National Speed Sport News has officially published it's last publication and is closing the doors. NSSN for 77 years was the go too publication for all things racing and it made Chris Economaki as iconic among gearheads as the racers themselves. Sad day indeed but times change. Reminds me when Super Stock and Drag Illustrated called it a day but then the internet brought us it's near online version in Competition Plus. Maybe NSSN can re-emerge is some similar form.

Thanks for everything Chris!