The REAL 5 seeing habits

Brown Rocket

history_diad_1990s.jpg
Is that it?

Brown Rocket

I have something better though. I was cleaning out a storage room while laid off and found a packet of pads from when you all were still on paper. Took one because when a diad goes down they ask if you have paper and to keep going writing down Z numbers and address. So now I have this instead of a paper towel. Still had the carbon too

Dustyroads

If it were a real old timer, rocket, the paper form would only have space for a six digit shipper number and a 1-3 digit id number or the date off of the meter. :)

browniehound

Actually, DIAD 2 did get messages. Not at the beginning of course.

DIAD 2 didn't have a radio built in like DIAD 3 and 4. With the DIAD 2, you had to put it into a vehicle holder (DVA). The DVA had a cell radi connected that could allow the DIAD 2 to communicate with the mainframe.

The DIAD 2 would send up tracking information and then download messages. It took much longer for a message to be sent and received.

If you remember, in order to make that work, UPS had to create a consortium of many, many cell phone companies.

That was quite a feat back in the day.

P-Man

P-man,
As I remember it, you are dead-on accurate about the history of DIAD II.

I find the history of the DIADS an interesting subject. Its peak now and my focus is on getting through it. However, I'd like to learn more about the history of the DIAD's and its upgrades once "the dust settles" and who better than P-man?

P-man, I find your posts some of the more enlightening of UPS' operations. I seek you out to find solid information Just want to say "thanks again" and will chat with you in the future.

Browniehound