The scooters of death

KoennenTiger

I'm not a down town guy but the rest of my loop are in down town. So those are the guys I go help out. Starting last year these companies started putting electric scooters everywhere. They can get going pretty fast too I've been surprised to be going 30+ mph and watching a scooter next to me keep up.

The people who ride them are total morons. They weave through traffic, they drive along the sidewalk and then hit a crosswalk at an intersection going way too fast, and they are not easy to spot. I've almost hit a few of them and have become extra vigilant clearing sidewalks and crosswalks.

Today I was running some nda for a brother and I see a car turning right on a red light with a building blocking her view of incoming scooters on the sidewalk. And she just plows over one of these scooter people.

I wonder how long these things will last. I can only imagine the number of accidents these things are causing. One of my coworkers told me that these things make you agree to all these safety rules by clicking "I agree" to some terms of service thing when you sign up for the app that starts them but I wonder if that would hold up in court if people started suing these companies.

You guys seen these deathmobiles in your area yet?

eats packages

Deranged lunatic
we have them. Bikes, scooters, pedestrians all crossing on a red crosswalk. You MUST check every intersection or you will hit someone nowadays. Don't take the hard lesson. Someone was badly injured at the intersection outside our building this week.

KoennenTiger

we have them. Bikes, scooters, pedestrians all crossing on a red crosswalk. You MUST check every intersection or you will hit someone nowadays. Don't take the hard lesson. Someone was badly injured at the intersection outside our building this week.

With how fast they are going you've got to inch forward to clear half a block before you go through the crosswalk.

scratch

Least Best Moderator
Staff member
The City of Atlanta has about a hundred Emergency Room visits a month from e-Scooters. We have already had one death, and a lot of communities in the suburbs are already banning them. People just leave them all over the place, they are an eyesore to me. I think we have a half-dozen different companies dropping them things all over Atlanta. I've had a couple of close calls in my personal car with some idiots just driving in front of me not paying any attention.
IMG_5538.JPG

scratch

Least Best Moderator
Staff member
Is that your white car backed in?
Yes, a professional driver always backs into a parking space. I can tell who is a driver and who is not when I walk through the employee parking lot at my Hub. I took that photo to show the sidewalk being blocked by e-scooters. My wife is visually impaired and I'm backed into a handicapped space for her. I'm was glad I have a backup camera on my Mercedes so I didn't back over one of those damn things in that photo. We were walking around a park in Atlanta over the weekend and had to look out for a bunch of fools zipping around all over the place on them. They go a lot faster than the 15 MPH they advertise.

KoennenTiger

Yes, a professional driver always backs into a parking space. I can tell who is a driver and who is not when I walk through the employee parking lot at my Hub. I took that photo to show the sidewalk being blocked by e-scooters. My wife is visually impaired and I'm backed into a handicapped space for her. I'm was glad I have a backup camera on my Mercedes so I didn't back over one of those damn things in that photo. We were walking around a park in Atlanta over the weekend and had to look out for a bunch of fools zipping around all over the place on them. They go a lot faster than the 15 MPH they advertise.

You know every car that belongs to a driver, even when we're driving our ten year old civic commuter in to work

badpal

Funny , just the other day i saw one for the first time just the other day. I was gonna ask one of the young guys at work what the heck it was, but forgot. What powers them?

scratch

Least Best Moderator
Staff member
Funny , just the other day i saw one for the first time just the other day. I was gonna ask one of the young guys at work what the heck it was, but forgot. What powers them?
They are electric. You download an app from the rental company to lease them. The rental companies pay people to re-charge them. The most popular around here are from a company called "Bird". They cost a dollar to start a ride and then 15 cents a minute after that.

Superteeth2478

Idiots that ride their bikes and scooters through crosswalks are seriously just increasing the chances of cleaning up the gene pool. There's a reason you're supposed to WALK your bike/scooter through the crosswalk. You're moving too fast for people to see at times. What's so hard to understand about that is something I'll never understand.

Whitelightning1534

I'm not a down town guy but the rest of my loop are in down town. So those are the guys I go help out. Starting last year these companies started putting electric scooters everywhere. They can get going pretty fast too I've been surprised to be going 30+ mph and watching a scooter next to me keep up.

The people who ride them are total morons. They weave through traffic, they drive along the sidewalk and then hit a crosswalk at an intersection going way too fast, and they are not easy to spot. I've almost hit a few of them and have become extra vigilant clearing sidewalks and crosswalks.

Today I was running some nda for a brother and I see a car turning right on a red light with a building blocking her view of incoming scooters on the sidewalk. And she just plows over one of these scooter people.

I wonder how long these things will last. I can only imagine the number of accidents these things are causing. One of my coworkers told me that these things make you agree to all these safety rules by clicking "I agree" to some terms of service thing when you sign up for the app that starts them but I wonder if that would hold up in court if people started suing these companies.

You guys seen these deathmobiles in your area yet?[/QUOTE

I've seen people in Dallas riding them especially downtown and there super dangerous on them they go way to fast and I've noticed that people ride them in the street like their a small car they won't last long somebody will get hurt and sue and they'll be taken off the streets

rod

Retired 22 years
Can't trust a driver that doesn't pull through or back in their own car in the lot.
The only good thing I ever got out of UPS (other than pay and benefits) was the 5 Seeing Habits--(UPS didn't invent them by the way). I still use those today - especially when driving a motorcycle. It's kind of funny when you pull up to Perkins on Retired UPS Drivers breakfast day once a month. You can tell the old UPS employees because EVERYONE of them has backed into a parking space