The "scratch" timer...

ibleedbrown

i'm actually a combo guy, and the "scratch" numbers are virtually impossible even on my air route and i know enough full time package drivers to know that their "scratch" numbers are even harder to attain. if i was a preloader i would want to work in the BOG!!!!

andrsnbkj

I like when you say your doing your best then they say "I don't think you are " considering your the :censored2: on there shoes anyway the way we should see we were a contributor to the profits ups has earned not the desk pencil pushing idiots that think they know everything and tell you how to run the route

JackStraw

Using map views, they can see the distance from the street to the front door of the house or from the parking area to the office door.
Which is totally flawed. It measures point to point(truck to front porch). It does not calculate the distance of the "Safe walk path". So if you don't cut lawns.......

Mugarolla

Light 'em up!
Which is totally flawed. It measures point to point(truck to front porch). It does not calculate the distance of the "Safe walk path". So if you don't cut lawns.......

Have you ever seen these map views?

The details are phenominal.

You can see the driveway and the sidewalk to the front porch.

They just input the distance and the time study software calculates the time allotted.

soberups

Pees in the brown Koolaid
Have you ever seen these map views?

The details are phenominal.

You can see the driveway and the sidewalk to the front porch.

They just input the distance and the time study software calculates the time allotted.

Welcome to my world.

This is a magnified Google Earth photo of a road on my route. There are 5 homes in this picture. The details are phenomenal; you can practically see every single leaf of the forest canopy that completely covers the driveways and front porches (as well as the rooftops) of these homes. I wonder how much distance the IE geniuses input for my average walk on these stops?
ImageUploadedByBrownCafe1438929855.892161.jpg

Mugarolla

Light 'em up!
Welcome to my world.

This is a magnified Google Earth photo of a road on my route. There are 5 homes in this picture. The details are phenomenal; you can practically see every single leaf of the forest canopy that completely covers the driveways and front porches (as well as the rooftops) of these homes. I wonder how much distance the IE geniuses input for my average walk on these stops?
View attachment 49559

They just guess?

Yes, there are some areas where they have to get off their butts and go out there.

Attachments

• 1438932251117.jpg
    1438932251117.jpg
    62.8 KB · Views: 200
Last edited:

Mugarolla

Light 'em up!
Welcome to my world.

View attachment 49559

Here's a better example.

Here is the platte and a few houses from it. Whether they do all the houses or just a random sample, the point is that they can do it from their desks.

A small percentage they may have to go out there.

It's called a virtual time study.

1438942075586.jpg
1438942128064.jpg
1438942161797.jpg
1438942182804.jpg

S

selfcancelsignal

& as we all know it takes the same amount of time to deliver over 70's as it does envelopes according to these management allowances.

JL 0513

I've punched out on a route a half hour before the last scheduled pickups (was able to do them early). The dispatch was a full regular dispatch that the bid driver gets everyday.

Next day the on car sup was wondering why I was an hour over. Bid driver finishes an hour and a half over what I finish it in but I get hammered about supposed over allowed.

Overpaid Union Thug

I enjoy reading all of these comments about the numbers, allowances, and how maps are used to create them. The truth is that it's all done exactly like our dispatches....... with a map on a dart board. Possibly with those monkeys that @soberups mentioned.

So.......monkeys throwing darts at maps on dartboards is how it's all done folks! LOL

hellfire

no one considers UPS people."real" Teamsters.-BUG
I love long driveways, heres one of my favorites..he gets va meds and diabetic supplies weekly, sig required,oh yeah, he also called a complaint about me driving the truck on his dirt driveway, because , you know i might break it
LONG ASS DRIVEWAY.PNG

Mugarolla

Light 'em up!
I enjoy reading all of these comments about the numbers, allowances, and how maps are used to create them. The truth is that it's all done exactly like our dispatches....... with a map on a dart board. Possibly with those monkeys that @soberups mentioned.

So.......monkeys throwing darts at maps on dartboards is how it's all done folks! LOL

The time studies are actually done fairly accurately.

The problem with the time studies is that they are based on ideal situations. No delays what-so-ever.

The customer can write a check for a COD in 15 seconds. No tracking down the boss to sign.

No traffic delays.

No accounting for having to deliver a house around back for a safe DR.

No accounting for having to track down the consignee for a signature.

No accounting for having to wait for a dock door.

No accounting for having to dig through the truck to get the package ORION says to deliver.

No accounting for having to bag DR's when it is raining.

And the list goes on.

So, on a perfect day, scratch may be obtainable, but as we all know, there are never any perfect days.

As long as you are fairly consistent, even if it is an hour over, that's a good day.

The problems start occurring when you are typically an hour over and when management rides with you, you are scratch.

They will then start digging deeper and even start following you with a video camera.