The "scratch" timer...

S

selfcancelsignal

I love long driveways, heres one of my favorites..he gets va meds and diabetic supplies weekly, sig required,oh yeah, he also called a complaint about me driving the truck on his dirt driveway, because , you know i might break itView attachment 49614
Every time I cover a rural route, I grade their driveways. This 1 gets an friend triple minus. No circle drive? You hafta be a friend---in' idiot to not have one when you expect deliveries. These people are as smart as the a--holes that have porches, expect parcels, then keep them locked. Thanks a lot, EINSTEIN! Lmao!

anHOURover

Some idle time is figured into the dispatch, but not not near enough to reflect real life. I know one of our city routes figure only about 10 minutes of stop light time a day. If that guy only does 10 minutes a day at a stoplight I'll eat my work boots.
You wear work boots mr dead end?

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

Every time I cover a rural route, I grade their driveways. This 1 gets an friend triple minus. No circle drive? You hafta be a friend---in' idiot to not have one when you expect deliveries. These people are as smart as the a--holes that have porches, expect parcels, then keep them locked. Thanks a lot, EINSTEIN! Lmao!

The ones that I can't figure out are the ones that lock their screen doors.

728ups

All Trash No Trailer
i scratch every day
scratch.jpg

Foamer Pyle

Time studies are now virtual using satellite data and map views.

The time allowance for each package, COD, over 70 etc does not change.

The only factors that change are walking distance to office doors and front porches.

Using map views, they can see the distance from the street to the front door of the house or from the parking area to the office door.

Once a particular loop or plat is time studied, the time allowances rarely change.

The distance from the street to the door never changes.

And that is the biggest factor in a time study. How far you have to walk to make the delivery.

Other factors like how many packages you have to deliver are accounted for from the time allowance for each package.
The new way they do time allowances does not account for all of the gated neighborhoods I go to and have to punch a code in and wait for the gate to open on the way in and out. Also all of the business stops that I make rear door deliveries to, and a bell must be rung in hopes that someone hears it and open the door in a timely manner. You get no extra time for a deliver that has 5 sixty pound packages or 5 letters, it's all the same to them. As I have read from previous folks, it's just like a rigged game at the carnival.

AKCoverMan

As long as I'm paid for the time it actually takes I don't really care how much time I am "allowed". Other than to bs about on here of course.

Mugarolla

Light 'em up!
The new way they do time allowances does not account for all of the gated neighborhoods I go to and have to punch a code in and wait for the gate to open on the way in and out. Also all of the business stops that I make rear door deliveries to, and a bell must be rung in hopes that someone hears it and open the door in a timely manner. You get no extra time for a deliver that has 5 sixty pound packages or 5 letters, it's all the same to them. As I have read from previous folks, it's just like a rigged game at the carnival.

And that is why the union does not recognize their numbers. They are flawed from the start.

The only thing the union recognizes is a fair days work for a fair days pay and the ability to do the same job supervised as unsupervised.

And the latter is where drivers tend to get into trouble.

trickpony1

Mug-
If you were in pkg cars for any length of time then you know things are clearly and distinctly different when an on-car is riding with you then when he isn't.

Load quality, volume, splits etc......I shouldn't have to name the variables for you.

I haven't been in pkg for a while but I "clearly and distinctly" remember.

Mugarolla

Light 'em up!
Mug-
If you were in pkg cars for any length of time then you know things are clearly and distinctly different when an on-car is riding with you then when he isn't.

Load quality, volume, splits etc......I shouldn't have to name the variables for you.

I haven't been in pkg for a while but I "clearly and distinctly" remember.

I agree.

And a 1 day ride doesn't mean diddley.

But when the number of pieces was just about the same, off areas were not run, the stops were just about the same and the splits were normal, based on the previous 6 months of splits, this just basically leaves load quality and a few minor variables.

And these can affect a day tremendously. But if the drivers numbers are way off what the 1 day ride was, and the truck was blown out like it usually is, then he better prepare for more rides and to possibly be followed around with a video camera.

I've seen it before. They don't get a driver for production, they really can't. Numbers don't mean a whole lot.

They secretly follow them with a video camera and get them for stealing time.