The truth about ups

TearsInRain

IE boogeyman
UPS is a publicly traded company, therefore the primary incentive is going to be to increase profits and stock-price

the public you appeal to is actually responsible for how you're being treated

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

If I had 5 minutes with Scott Davis the one point that I would like to leave him with is the fact that we are doing a disservice to our commercial customers. It used to be they could set their watch by the UPS guy--now we are like the cable guy (we'll be there sometime between 9 and 5). Many of these commercial customers turn these shipments around the same day which is very hard to do when they are being picked up before being delivered to. With the advent of Basic and SmartPost, we are shedding the less profiitable residential deliveries in favor of our bread and butter, the commercial customers; however, we can no longer continue to take these customers for granted.

A full page ad in a major daily newspaper would not serve the intended purpose and would cause more harm than good.

Integrity

Binge Poster
I believe it's time that the public knew the truth about how ups really works.
It has gotten to the point that the standard of service for customers has taken a back seat to profit.
It would be enlightening for everyone that uses,or has used ups to learn a few facts about the way they treat their employees,from unfair production standards to oversupervision and harassment.
A lot of people here in the browncafe have an excellent grasp on articulating when posting on a thread. Maybe Soberups ,Integrity or anyone,could help me in finding the words to write an honest account of what really goes on at the hub.
If we could work together,and come up with an eye opening journey into the top heavy world of profit and trickle down accountability it would make a great page two article in any major metropolitan newspaper.
I am not doing this to hurt ups in any way,they have provided me with a job that I believe I do well.
I am doing this because I honestly think that greed from the shareholders is starting to affect our quality of service to one that should not befit a one hundred year old respected,trusted corporation.
I don't want anyone to write a book,just a short expose to inform the public .
Anyone into it ?
chewonthis,

Before I would be willing to be involved in anything like this, I would need to know the following:

1. What are some of the specific issues you have attempted to address with the company or the union?

2. What steps have you taken to resolve them?

Please include who you communicated with and how you communicated your concerns. (no names please! only job title!)

3. What was the company or union response to your concern and how was it communicated?

Sincerely,
I

menotyou

bella amicizia
Integrity,

Considering a nationwide protest was just conducted under the watchful eyes of the union, I would say Unfair Production Standards has been a topic of conversation with management for years.

Sincerely,

M

Integrity

Binge Poster
Integrity,

Considering a nationwide protest was just conducted under the watchful eyes of the union, I would say Unfair Production Standards has been a topic of conversation with management for years.

Sincerely,

M
menotyou,

My response was to the statement by chewonthis.

I do not disagree with you but I am not clear as to what you are trying to say in this statement.

Sincerely,
I

menotyou

bella amicizia
menotyou,

My response was to the statement by chewonthis.
I know.
I do not disagree with you but I am not clear as to what you are trying to say in this statement.
I think part of chewies point was production has become the most important thing. Customers are taking a back seat. Too many of us have said the same to any number of managers, including posting on here.

Sincerely,
I

Your questions are somewhat redundant considering the scope of discontent. No offense, intended.

Sincerely,

M

UnconTROLLed

perfection
I personally would be a bit reluctant to air my company's "dirty laundry" in public.

I understand the sentiment behind what you are trying to accomplish, but my concern would be that our customers response would be to use the competition instead of UPS, and that serves no purpose whatsoever.

And in any case, it isnt the public that needs to know what goes on in the average hub or center...its Scott Davis and his people in Atlanta. I am convinced that these guys are so obsessed with technology and chasing metrics that they truly have no concept of what actually happens in the real world of a package car or a sort aisle.

THis is why every driver, inside worker, should follow the methods to a T, the technology to a T, and put the ball in their court.

When they see that everything is done THEIR way with no exceptions, money will be lost and the system will collapse - forcing Scott Davis to actually take notice of such things.

Integrity

Binge Poster
Your questions are somewhat redundant considering the scope of discontent. No offense, intended.

Sincerely,

M
menotyou,

None taken.

Redunant?

I have never dialogued with chewonthis before.

The topic of his or her thread is "The truth about ups".

He or she made a valid suggestion as to a course of action.

He or she mentioned Integrity in the post.

I responded to his or her suggestions as to what I would need from him or her before I would even consider being involved.

Sincerely,
I

bigblu 2 you

THis is why every driver, inside worker, should follow the methods to a T, the technology to a T, and put the ball in their court.

When they see that everything is done THEIR way with no exceptions, money will be lost and the system will collapse - forcing Scott Davis to actually take notice of such things.
i dont think even perfection in all those areas would change the mentality of the ceo and {upper level }staff. many years ago an old timer long since retired said to me"ups could go broke and the big shots would still be looking at the reports saying,i dont know what happened,the numbers look so good"?imho all managment at all levels should come from within with at least 5 years driving.

Upser08

Generating profit is probably the main reason to start a business!
You and everyone else that works at UPS can easily be replaced. The people who wore the unfair production standards sticker should be ashamed of themselves. If you can't handle it get out now! We dont need you! The union and diehard union employees hinder production. Go bag groceries or sell girlscout cookies, something you can handle.

superballs63

Well-Known Troll
Troll
Generating profit is probably the main reason to start a business!
You and everyone else that works at UPS can easily be replaced. The people who wore the unfair production standards sticker should be ashamed of themselves. If you can't handle it get out now! We dont need you! The union and diehard union employees hinder production. Go bag groceries or sell girlscout cookies, something you can handle.

How long have you been in management?? And, if you're not....you should consider it, seems like you have a knack for it. UPS is putting drivers out with WAY too much work and cutting out other routes daily and all it does is burn out drivers. Running people nonstop is a great way to increase injuries & accidents

ORLY!?!

Master Loader
I mean, where do you really want to start is the question? Then again, if it were really so bad, wouldnt there be a news report about it at least a few times a month?

Sure it can be bad at times, management and soups dont help the situation, which they should be their first obligation to fix. But they're so busy creating problems for themselves it trickles down upon the real staff making things happen. They dont want to create new routes, hire more help or all of the above. Yet the ones in charge are only there for themsleves and couldnt careless about the problems they have created. They come in for the paycheck only, and only pretend to care about the :censored2: storm we all call a job.