The truth about ups

hellfire

no one considers UPS people."real" Teamsters.-BUG
even the management in my building are quick to say corporate is killing every level of hourly and operations with this NEW production push ...i am seeing even the most die hard management people finally breaking down

packageguy

UPS is a publicly traded company, therefore the primary incentive is going to be to increase profits and stock-price

the public you appeal to is actually responsible for how you're being treated

Your right it is all about profits. But we been public for alot of years now, And we've been profitable. They never treated us like this.

dqs95124

basically. In gods country a starter home is what 50,000. here 1/2 milllion..so 30buck just does not cover it...

DS

Fenderbender
Your right it is all about profits. But we been public for alot of years now, And we've been profitable. They never treated us like this.
What gets me is that it seems like the ones making these decisions,must honestly believe that a lot of their drivers are stealing time.
Anyone that has done the job knows that every day is a challenge and there never seems to be enough time in a day steal any.
I also believe that this is being ingrained into the brains of center manager's and oncars to the point that they believe it too.
Locking drivers into a designated spohr is their way of insuring that they are squeezing as much as they can out of us.
Often the 3 day production rides are false because they are stacked against the driver by removing air stops, bulk stops,cod's,apartment buildings,etc. Sure profit is number one,but as always,ups must have it all on paper so they can justify the flawed results.Why they chose us drivers to boost their income,when we are the ones doing all the work,creating good customer relations,and not having accidents,is beyond me.
I have made a few suggestions to save them money over the years,lots of money,but it falls on deaf ears.

soberups

Pees in the brown Koolaid
even the management in my building are quick to say corporate is killing every level of hourly and operations with this NEW production push ...i am seeing even the most die hard management people finally breaking down

In my area, 5 management people-center level and above--have had to take "stress leave" over the last 2 years. Two others got fired on trumped-up charges, just before they reached eligibility for full pensions and company-supplied medical care until age 62.

These people shoot their wounded and eat their young. Its getting ugly. UPS is turning into a mean, nasty, hateful place to work.

UnconTROLLed

perfection
What gets me is that it seems like the ones making these decisions,must honestly believe that a lot of their drivers are stealing time.
Anyone that has done the job knows that every day is a challenge and there never seems to be enough time in a day steal any.
I also believe that this is being ingrained into the brains of center manager's and oncars to the point that they believe it too.
Locking drivers into a designated spohr is their way of insuring that they are squeezing as much as they can out of us.
Often the 3 day production rides are false because they are stacked against the driver by removing air stops, bulk stops,cod's,apartment buildings,etc. Sure profit is number one,but as always,ups must have it all on paper so they can justify the flawed results.Why they chose us drivers to boost their income,when we are the ones doing all the work,creating good customer relations,and not having accidents,is beyond me.
I have made a few suggestions to save them money over the years,lots of money,but it falls on deaf ears.

Real good post, but the last part:

Your good suggestions would not fall on deaf ears, it would fall into tied hands.

whiskey

The stealing of time by drivers, which is not true, is the hardest aspect of my job. The message from management is that if you are not running scratch, you are a thief. Day after day, week after week, month after month, year after year, drivers collectively rob UPS of billions of dollars. How do drivers sleep at night? Stealing so much money from UPS. It really is mental abuse by management, to insinuate incessant thievery runs rampant from all of their package car drivers. It's worse than water boarding. Package car driver self esteem today rivals that of a Catholic priest.

Jones

fILE A GRIEVE!
Staff member
The stealing of time by drivers, which is not true, is the hardest aspect of my job. The message from management is that if you are not running scratch, you are a thief. Day after day, week after week, month after month, year after year, drivers collectively rob UPS of billions of dollars. How do drivers sleep at night? Stealing so much money from UPS. It really is mental abuse by management, to insinuate incessant thievery runs rampant from all of their package car drivers. It's worse than water boarding. Package car driver self esteem today rivals that of a Catholic priest.
You have to embrace that perception. Fly the Jolly Roger from your mirror stanchion and start talking like a pirate at the PCM, maybe get a parrot and start wearing an eye patch..

beentheredonethat

Chewy;
Companies are in business to make money. Companies that don't make money go out of business. Shareholders want their companies to make money. Shareholders want companies to reduce cost. With UPS, employee benefits and wages are the number one cost. UPS had one of it's better years but we still only made 11.1% pretax profit. That's not a lot when you think of it. If we did as everyone is suggesting and added routes, cut back on sporh etc we could easily lose that 11.1% profit margin.

2Slow

What I have a problem with accepting is:

if you ignore the methods or "edd" or "orion" and make a decision on your own , because you think it benefits the company and your job, and it backfires, you get reamed and possibly disciplined/terminated for not following instructions.

I know a guy who was terminated for following EDD. They said he was stealing from the company. Not kidding!

He did, eventually, get his job back with back pay but it took months. They offered him the deal where he comes back with no back pay but he told them to stuff it.

Griff

Yea but that's logistics

That's right. People can believe shareholders are responsible for this catastrophe all they want but the bitter reality is that Scott Davis is 100% responsible for this. He is the classic pump and dump CEO, his strategy is NOT unique or new. The management style or strategy behind the pump and dump is to exhaust operations to the absolute breaking point at which time they collect their golden parachute and decend upon their million dollar home on a beach somewhere. They usually leave the company in ruins but UPS may be big enough to survive his absolutely horrendous leadership, time will tell.

UnconTROLLed

perfection
That's right. People can believe shareholders are responsible for this catastrophe all they want but the bitter reality is that Scott Davis is 100% responsible for this. He is the classic pump and dump CEO, his strategy is NOT unique or new. The management style or strategy behind the pump and dump is to exhaust operations to the absolute breaking point at which time they collect their golden parachute and decend upon their million dollar home on a beach somewhere. They usually leave the company in ruins but UPS may be big enough to survive his absolutely horrendous leadership, time will tell.

I'm not sure you are 100% right, but there likely is some truth there.

UnconTROLLed

perfection
Todays scam was one of the best I've seen by UPS yet.

Corporate invaded our preload operation this morning and decided to try a different approach for a push for production. Some 3% of boxes were given different color stickers from the unload and an audit for package quality was done. The boxes with stickers were to be dropped down the slides and put aside.

The idea was to harrass and force the preload slide workers to work as fast as possible to avoid any "crushes" when the boxes come down and hit each other on the lip of the slide. If no boxes build up, then no boxes can crush on the slide end.

This was masked by a "customer service rapport" angle, for which management claimed; but in reality it was just another production gimmick to me.

Also, no packages (today only) were to be "dropped" on the slides; hand do surface only , because corporate fatcats were watching.

scoobypanda

great 1st post from chewonthis. to clarify some of the points chewie made, i will provide some examples. 1) later start times- this leads to increases in service failures on air packages. sadly, i have been told by my d.m that very few customers are calling for refunds. not getting caught doing something wrong is not the same as doing something right. we used to do it right more often. 2) we no longer shuttle misloads and missorts to the other buildings in our area. yes, we are obviously cutting costs, but now the customer gets their package a day later when we make a mistake in our sort. having an excuse is not enough to ensure customer loyalty. 3) closed holiday- we have stops held in retention loads as "closed holiday" when customers are in fact open for business and awaiting their deliveries. corporate estimates 3% of our commercial stops close on certain holidays and we then begin guessing at who will be closed. this is ineffective and unprofessional. 4) pumping up the driver's paid day- most residential customers are very happy to see their ups driver with a delivery. this warm,fuzzy feeling tends to disappear as night falls. my guess is around 8 pm, the joy of delivery is replaced by the feeling of "what the hell are you doing here so late?"
I know it is very important to lower operating costs to increase profits, but not at the expense of customer service. It's a fine line and i think we're on the wrong side of it right now.

sosocal

great 1st post from chewonthis. to clarify some of the points chewie made, i will provide some examples. 1) later start times- this leads to increases in service failures on air packages. sadly, i have been told by my d.m that very few customers are calling for refunds. not getting caught doing something wrong is not the same as doing something right. we used to do it right more often. 2) we no longer shuttle misloads and missorts to the other buildings in our area. yes, we are obviously cutting costs, but now the customer gets their package a day later when we make a mistake in our sort. having an excuse is not enough to ensure customer loyalty. 3) closed holiday- we have stops held in retention loads as "closed holiday" when customers are in fact open for business and awaiting their deliveries. corporate estimates 3% of our commercial stops close on certain holidays and we then begin guessing at who will be closed. this is ineffective and unprofessional. 4) pumping up the driver's paid day- most residential customers are very happy to see their ups driver with a delivery. this warm,fuzzy feeling tends to disappear as night falls. my guess is around 8 pm, the joy of delivery is replaced by the feeling of "what the hell are you doing here so late?"
I know it is very important to lower operating costs to increase profits, but not at the expense of customer service. It's a fine line and i think we're on the wrong side of it right now.

check, check and check - very nice articulation of the blows to our brand in the last several years.