The UPS anti-union DVD

VoiceOfReason

Telling it like it is
The dude has a point. I don't know particulars but if Overnite has been sucessful as a non-union shop why organize now?

I know when he says "flexiablity" he means long hours at weird times but its to serve customers so the business is profitable so the employees have jobs and pensions.

rngri4

The dude has a point. I don't know particulars but if Overnite has been sucessful as a non-union shop why organize now?

I know when he says "flexiablity" he means long hours at weird times but its to serve customers so the business is profitable so the employees have jobs and pensions.

I will agree with you for once Voiceofreason, the man does have a point. I have my retirement privately invested, along with a smaller UPS plan, I can make more money when I am old and ready to retire that way, through I privately invested fund.

JustAnotherBody

they sure did a great job of making the teamsters look like a bunch of *******s.

i liked when heavy hunter said: 'im going to hurt you'
what a fat ass slob.

are we expected to smash things and people when we go on strike?
if so fortunatly i was to young for the last strike.

Overpaid Union Thug

If everything they guy was saying is true then I'd wonder why them boys over at UPS Freight would even consider inviting the Teamsters in. The strike images alone are enough to turn most people away.

hoser

Industrial Slob
Unionization should only happen if employees want it to happen, that is, when the employer is dicking around with their employees. This doesn't seem to be the case, especially when the VP sends a DVD to all employees to explain his side and say "we'll be stopping by in every shop to answer your questions".

Just a question, why were the teamsters striking in 1999 against overnight? Were the trucks in the video scabs or overnight employees who wouldn't show solidarity with another stupid teamster strike?

If everything they guy was saying is true then I'd wonder why them boys over at UPS Freight would even consider inviting the Teamsters in. The strike images alone are enough to turn most people away.
Because some people don't know how good they have it.

Once you're unionized, you can't go back. If employers are smart, they run an efficent business but they don't have to work their employees far into the ground. Then employees unionize, and because labour costs shoot up, the employers demand a lot of efficency out of their employees. You think if you take the union out of the picture, we'd still get good pay and get worked into the ground? It's something you have to live with, people...

Last edited:

Coldworld

60 months and counting
hoser, are you saying that if ups wasnt associated with a union that management would ease up a bit, the company would be more layed back?????

tieguy

Banned
First time I've seen this video. Pretty eye opening. The pension arguments it makes score points. Why would anyone want to join the central states plan and end up with less.

I wonder how overnite gets away with this type of action. I always thought it was a violation of the NLRB laws for a company to actively fight unionization.

hoser

Industrial Slob
hoser, are you saying that if ups wasnt associated with a union that management would ease up a bit, the company would be more layed back?????
my bad! i forgot to add a "not" into the OP. i'm saying the exact opposite.

management have to be easy and empowered for a non-union environment to thrive. those are the best places to work for.

I wonder how overnite gets away with this type of action. I always thought it was a violation of the NLRB laws for a company to actively fight unionization.
All the VP said was "this is what the union will do" "unionizing is VERY serious and not appropriate for our kind of industry" "this is the other (and what I see to be the true) side of the teamsters" and "don't get intimidated". Pretty much: 'the grass isn't always greener on the other side'. I wouldn't call this "actively fighting", it's just good management that's fighting for what they believe in.

IMO it starts to get unlawful when the local power plant black's out a power plant worker's union meeting, or a company coerces employees not to organize, not a company rep giving his argument. It would be a sad day for our society when it's against the law for a VP of a company to publish media to his employees giving his organizations side of the unionization issue. To give unions monopoly over discourse in something as serious as union issues is a slippery slope.

And if the union deserves to exist in a shop, no plea from an executive would stop them.

Last edited:

any122

adirondack man
First time I've seen this video. Pretty eye opening. The pension arguments it makes score points. Why would anyone want to join the central states plan and end up with less.

You mite better take another look.This is what we had to put up with from the fellow brother hood.But as you can see we survived and will be around a long long time without the scum bag IBT!I have to say the employees at UPS frieght are some of the hardest,proud,loyal working people UPS could have ever invested in.UPS got the best frieght company money could buy.Overnite didn't get away with anything.I hope the IBT is paying dearly for all the employees that they injured during their THUG FEST.

Overpaid Union Thug

I've never heard of Overite (AKA "UPS Freight") being the best freight company. Most customers I've talked with say FexEx Freight is the best. I was hearing that when they were still American Freight Lines.

any122

adirondack man
I've never heard of Overite (AKA "UPS Freight") being the best freight company. Most customers I've talked with say FexEx Freight is the best. I was hearing that when they were still American Freight Lines.
I guess your opinion should be the only.If Fedxs is such a great company why haven't you gone over?I will tell you more than likely you wouldn't survive.You are the employee who needs the IBT to protect your big fat lazy a--.I here all these people on here complain about UPS.Im starting to believe the reason you need the union is because your a SLACKER and the company would have gotten rid of you by now.:thumbup1:

Coldworld

60 months and counting
ha...The company would get rid of everybody if they could. Including many management. The management style from this company was in place from day one...and continues to get worse. Personally I dont give a **** about the ibt, or ups. Both will screw you if they can. The local reps do a decent job. The local ups management do a decent job. Are you trying to say that every driver is a slob???