Them rear view camera feeds are recorded, in case you didn't know it.

MisplacedRailWorker

an absolute *ing disgrace of a human being.
856CA857-946C-439A-A6F7-6DAB2D086477.gif

quad decade guy

To be clear, what I'm talking about here is the video feed from the rear camera at the back roofline of the package car. That has nothing to do with those unconfirmed rumors there is a camera somehow (pointed at the driver) built into the monitor you use to see what's behind your package car.
To be clear: what do you or anyone here know about the capabilities of telematics? Serious question.

To be clear: what do you or anyone here know about the capabilities of telematics? Serious question.
Don't know much 'bout telematics, nor the French I took. This driver did mention that they used telematics data in some way to confirm that he actually entered the driveway (where he damaged the lawn) which the center manager considers a no-no for most addresses in that service area.

i thought they can't terminate you using technology, i thought that was in the contract?
This was a seasonal driver, and apparently because of the local supplemental to the national CBA, didn't enjoy the same protections from termination this time of year that would have had he made book and qualified earlier in the year.

Fido

Don’t worry he’s friendly
To be clear, what I'm talking about here is the video feed from the rear camera at the back roofline of the package car. That has nothing to do with those unconfirmed rumors there is a camera somehow (pointed at the driver) built into the monitor you use to see what's behind your package car.
I never said anything about the front cab.

I never said anything about the front cab.
So, you enjoy a daily habit of walking to the back of your car, opening your rear door(s), while you pick your nose and ponder all the damn irregz that management elected to shoehorn into your car? Do you do this on camera just in the mornings, or do you like doing it several times during your shift?

NAHimGOOD

Nothing to see here.... Move along.
So, you enjoy a daily habit of walking to the back of your car, opening your rear door(s), while you pick your nose and ponder all the damn irregz that management elected to shoehorn into your car? Do you do this on camera just in the mornings, or do you like doing it several times during your shift?
So what if he does?

Brown Biscuit

Blind every day
Ok. Yet, why wouldn't they "record" it? There are cameras and sensors all over my feeder truck. Including microphones....I've seen them and seen the fuses for them. Now, you say BS but offer no evidence. It seems MORE logical that the "story" is true. Besides, would the company reveal their secrets? It seems to me, that if they know when you back, wear a seatbelt or have the bulkhead door open they'd record everything else. My Ivis(phone) has a camera(like all phones).....looking right at me. I cover it with my mask......to uh cut down the harsh ambient light from the screen......true story...
@CoolStoryBro

Fido

Don’t worry he’s friendly
From all the question marks you’re wondering if I’m going to say yes.

Yes

BigUnionGuy

Got the T-Shirt
Ok. Yet, why wouldn't they "record" it?

The backup camera is not tied in to telematics.

It has the feed from the camera and the power supply.

That has nothing to do with those unconfirmed rumors there is a camera somehow (pointed at the driver) built into the monitor you use to see what's behind your package car.

Another myth.... it's a light sensor.

That was debunked by a mechanic on here years ago.

BigUnionGuy

Got the T-Shirt
Fake topic
Typical rumors
Mods please delete

As long as there have been back-up cameras, we would have heard about this before.

Besides.... the company is too cheap to have a server farm that would be needed to archive useless video footage.

The seasonal had a complaint called in on him, and the center manager BS'ed him into confessing.

Redtag

Part on order, ok to drive
For anyone new or not in the know, I have it on good, first hand authority from a disciplined driver that those rear view camera feeds are recorded and stored for future reference. This particular driver inadvertently drove over and damaged the edge of someone's lawn. That property owner complained to the company, and the driver was then called onto the carpet in his center manager's office for an 'instant replay' of his driving several days later. His center manager had the video feed from this driver's package car's rear view camera on his office computer screen. Being a new, seasonal driver, he was promptly terminated, even after offering to personally make financial restitution to the property owner for the damage he caused. Seems like kind of a very arbitrary and capricious punishment for a first time incident/accident, yet I digress. So anyways, I guess, file this under 'the more you know.'
The rearview camera and monitor do not have the ability to record nor is it equipped with any sort of transmitter.

I know this for certain, I have seen them new in the box and in all sorts of pieces. Plus none of the manuals for the devices reference any sort of recording or transmission capability.

Your guy was bamboozled into confessing. If he was in the union he should have not said a thing, asserted his Weingarten rights and made them get a steward.

Last edited:

zubenelgenubi

I'm a star
The rearview camera and monitor do not have the ability to record nor is it equipped with any sort of transmitter.

I know this for certain, I have seen them new in the box and in all sorts of pieces. Plus none of the manuals for the devices reference any sort of recording or transmission capability.

Your guy was bamboozled into confessing. If he was in the union he should have not said a thing, asserted his Weingarten rights and made them get a steward.

I don't actually think they are being recorded, but, to play devil's advocate, couldn't the video feed link into the telematics box for recording, then continue through to the monitor? Unless you replaced the entire wire run, you wouldn't necessarily see it. Then that footage could be transmitted with all the other telematic info.

But to answer:

Besides, would the company reveal their secrets?

If they are trying to use secretly recorded video footage as a reason to terminate someone, the steward would make the request to see it. If they don't produce, their case would fail.

Redtag

Since I have to fix it and can access its data.. quite a bit. I know what its wired into, and all of us have access to telematics. It knows your speed, braking, how long you were braking etc. It shows us a trace the truck drove that day. It sends back diagnostic data such as certian CEL codes, abs codes etc. Wiring is tied into the bulk door, brake switch, seat belt and transmission range selector.

Redtag

I don't actually think they are being recorded, but, to play devil's advocate, couldn't the video feed link into the telematics box for recording, then continue through to the monitor? Unless you replaced the entire wire run, you wouldn't necessarily see it. Then that footage could be transmitted with all the other telematic info.

But to answer:

If they are trying to use secretly recorded video footage as a reason to terminate someone, the steward would make the request to see it. If they don't produce, their case would fail.

No, it's not tied in, I can confirm that. The only aux inputs to the telematics is bulk door, trans range selector, brake pedal switch and seat belt. The only other input is on the vehicle diagnostic connector.

Plus we would know about it if it was, management is always on us about telematics and if they had a video feed we would have the info on it to fix it and our management would be getting haunted about it.

Also, think of the data usage that would require, the g07-current telematics communicates over cell networks, I am sure it would not be cost effective to transmit live data and store it for tens of thousands of package cars. Companies that use video recording typically take a snapshot or a small video clip of a event that is preprogrammed into the software and then that is sent back.

Last edited:

Redtag

I left one part unclear and wanted to add that the telematics has near real time GPS and that is what is used to draw the trace I mentioned earlier. So those trips to your lunch break side piece that is off route... don't be surprised to find a sup. Meeting you there if they go looking.

oldngray

nowhere special
I left one part unclear and wanted to add that the telematics has near real time GPS and that is what is used to draw the trace I mentioned earlier. So those trips to your lunch break side piece that is off route... don't be surprised to find a sup. Meeting you there if they go looking.
Sending GPS data is a huge difference from the bandwidth required for video streaming