Them rear view camera feeds are recorded, in case you didn't know it.

Even tho I jokes about this months ago...

I still don't buy it.

The first person fired for its usage would have screamed it to the world....
The now fired individual was formerly a seasonal driver who had just finished zoom integrad, passed his 5’s & 10’s, and he was working his training route for maybe 3 weeks before he made the mistake of nosing into a long driveway to drop a heavy-ass yellow-taped irreg. Or perhaps he made the mistake of trying to turn his package car around in the driveway with too much haste.

It’s my understanding that, between November 1st and December 31st of each year, the local supplemental (here in the DC area, Local 639) to the national CBA shields the company from having to ‘qualify’ drivers. Those holiday-hire seasonal drivers wouldn’t be able make book until around February 1st, if the company retained them after peak season.

So, I’m unclear if this now fired seasonal driver would have been considered a member of the bargaining unit, or enjoyed any grievance rights, or protections from termination from the stewards or the local biz agent, or a mediation process. And he wasn’t really ‘connected’ to the stewards, or other drivers, or anybody to whom he could scream bloody hell as you suggest. His training supe convinced him to be in the building an hour early each day sorting his car and marking HIN #’s on cardboard with a grease pencil. He had no time to establish ties of collegiality to anyone.

His firing seems unfortunate to me, because, personally, I felt like immediate termination was a harsh response from the company for a first-time mistake with a relatively low economic impact of minor property damage to someone’s lawn, and especially one where he offered to pay for the damage out of his own pocket and make a personal apology to the homeowner.

NAHimGOOD

Nothing to see here.... Move along.
The now fired individual was formerly a seasonal driver who had just finished zoom integrad, passed his 5’s & 10’s, and he was working his training route for maybe 3 weeks before he made the mistake of nosing into a long driveway to drop a heavy-ass yellow-taped irreg. Or perhaps he made the mistake of trying to turn his package car around in the driveway with too much haste.

It’s my understanding that, between November 1st and December 31st of each year, the local supplemental (here in the DC area, Local 639) to the national CBA shields the company from having to ‘qualify’ drivers. Those holiday-hire seasonal drivers wouldn’t be able make book until around February 1st, if the company retained them after peak season.

So, I’m unclear if this now fired seasonal driver would have been considered a member of the bargaining unit, or enjoyed any grievance rights, or protections from termination from the stewards or the local biz agent, or a mediation process. And he wasn’t really ‘connected’ to the stewards, or other drivers, or anybody to whom he could scream bloody hell as you suggest. His training supe convinced him to be in the building an hour early each day sorting his car and marking HIN #’s on cardboard with a grease pencil. He had no time to establish ties of collegiality to anyone.

His firing seems unfortunate to me, because, personally, I felt like immediate termination was a harsh response from the company for a first-time mistake with a relatively low economic impact of minor property damage to someone’s lawn, and especially one where he offered to pay for the damage out of his own pocket and make a personal apology to the homeowner.
I hear ya.

I do.

But....

Redtag

Part on order, ok to drive
To be clear: you are mgt.?

If so/no, you are privy to all I.E. and security as well as software code of the telematics/video devices? Perhaps a software Engineer(you)?

During these campaign "swap outs', you are given technical briefings(assuming you are "just" a mechanic)? They give you time to read all the paperwork that comes with what you are installing?

Why would they want you to know about "cost effectiveness"?

Why is your GPS data "rough"? It's not exact down to 6 digits?

My experience has been hourlies get info on a need to know basis and mechanics are parts swappers. Just get it done....

Serious questions. Thanks.

How the hell do you think we fix the telematics, of course we know what its wired into and we have schematics as I said its wired into the trucks DLC and the 4 aux inputs being the bulk door, brake switch, trans range selector and the seatbelt. It's not going to get a video feed from the DLC because that is impossible. Not everything in life is a giant conspiracy.

And yes we have a telematics page we can log into off of AIS.. Do you want a frigging screenshot of it? Give me a package car number I will ping it for you Monday. every mechanic and automotive supervisor has access to it so it's nothing special. Our gps ping of the truck appears to be a few minutes behind real time, I am not sure if ops can see it in real time.

Lol yeah, we just swap parts.. are you kidding me? How would that work for a no start due to a network failure or diaging a harness issue. We use schematics off of Igate and manufacturer's websites the company pays to access and we go in and find the wiring fault.

Yeah someone in Atlanta is going to tell me how to fix a no start with no codes or a truck with a condition code... lol wow.. no I am not an engineer, just a regular average mechanic and anybody that has fixed anything for a living from a truck to a frigging dishwasher knows that is impossible without technical info and being there with the broken truck or whatever it is..

Last edited:

Redtag

Quad decade ,

I also wanted to add that the information is publicly available for the hardware used in both the telematics system and the back up camera.

The telematics unit is a geotab g09 that is the latest one we have, you can start reading up on that.

The telematics website we have access to is only available to automotive personal, ops management has their own version theirs from what I understand is geared more toward tracking metrics like backing, seatbelt, bulkhead position. Sometimes their site is more useful for diagnosing a intermittent fault like a seat belt buckle or wiring fault that beeps out ok during self test but keeps going in and out while driving. It shows up one their reports clearly where on ours it shows up ok in the device health tab on the telematics site and beeps out ok.

I don't have to be an engineer to be able to figure out that the capability is not there with current hardware, it's common sense if you know how the system is wired and that the dlc is connected via network and that network does not have the bandwidth to handle a video feed and since the monitor and camera lack the physical capability to transmit I think its safe to say the OPs coworker was lied to.

Last edited:

burrheadd

KING Of GIFS
To be clear: you are mgt.?

If so/no, you are privy to all I.E. and security as well as software code of the telematics/video devices? Perhaps a software Engineer(you)?

During these campaign "swap outs', you are given technical briefings(assuming you are "just" a mechanic)? They give you time to read all the paperwork that comes with what you are installing?

Why would they want you to know about "cost effectiveness"?

Why is your GPS data "rough"? It's not exact down to 6 digits?

My experience has been hourlies get info on a need to know basis and mechanics are parts swappers. Just get it done....

Serious questions. Thanks.

I’ll give you one thing captain you can definitely get people fired up

Lol

Redtag

I’ll give you one thing captain you can definitely get people fired up

Lol

Your not kidding. I posted to this to try to be helpful and explain how the telematics works and how it can not be used to transmit video data and he decides to be not only insulting and condescending but ignorant as well

Lol, I still can't get over the absurdity of his post.. yeah, we are going to call the engineer in Atlanta on how to fix stuff at 3 am.. Are we going to call our sup that is neither an engineer or a mechanic? Yeah, no :censored2: I don't know the source code for the programming in the unit and no I don't sit in high level meetings and those people don't even know I exist. but I don't need to know the geotab source code to read the specs on it and see what its wired to and what data those other devices put out. After that it's just common sense.

Last edited:

542thruNthru

Your not kidding. I posted to this to try to be helpful and explain how the telematics works and how it can not be used to transmit video data and he decides to be not only insulting and condescending but condescending from a position of ignorance.

Lol, I still can't get over the absurdity of his post.. yeah, we are going to call the engineer in Atlanta on how to fix stuff at 3 am.. Are we going to call our sup that is neither an engineer or a mechanic? Yeah, no * I don't know the source code for the programming in the unit and no I don't sit in high level meetings and those people don't even know I exist. but I don't need to know the geotab source code to read the specs on it and see what its wired to and what data those other devices put out. After that it's just common sense.
The guys a idiot. The funny thing is... Remember he was FT at 19 in automotive... Yet doesn't seem to understand.

542thruNthru

If they’re the Lynx drive cam or whatever it’s true. When they are set off (possible collision, braking too hard, accelerating too fast, whatever) they “record” the previous 30 seconds before the “incident” and 30 seconds after the “incident”. Sound, speed, location are documented as well. It goes off for “review” and if they think it is worthy of being forwarded on to management, it is then sent on to whoever is in charge of it. Weather, time of day, etc are taken into the decision to forward it on or not. There are green lights on the camera indicating it is operating and then if it is set off, it flashes red back and forth along the light bar on the camera. Been called in for as little as hitting a bump in the yard too fast and triggering it.
The guys talking about the back up camera that feeds to the monitor in the cab.