Theoretical question

rod

Retired 22 years
What percentage of packages gets delivered if all management doesn't show up for just one day? We just all got sick.... Think that'd prove a point?
At first I thought that was one of the stupidest questions ever asked on BC. After thinking about it probably nothing would be delivered if todays UPS driver didn't have a device that tells him what his next stop is -directions how to get to it and how many packages there are for it. :-)

At first I thought that was one of the stupidest questions ever asked on BC. After thinking about it probably nothing would be delivered if todays UPS driver didn't have a device that tells him what his next stop is -directions how to get to it and how many packages there are for it. :-)
Be just like the old days. Deliver what you can and bring the rest back and try again tomorrow.

rod

Retired 22 years
Be just like the old days. Deliver what you can and bring the rest back and try again tomorrow.
I don't know where you delivered back in the old days -- oh wait a minute--all you know about is car washing and you aren't very good at that now days but "bringing the rest back" was never allowed where I was. If you brought stuff back you better have a good excuse and "its late or its too rainy or too cold " isn't a good one like it is today. Why do you pretend to know what goes on with the delivery side of UPS?

I don't know where you delivered back in the old days -- oh wait a minute--all you know about is car washing and you aren't very good at that now days but "bringing the rest back" was never allowed where I was. If you brought stuff back you better have a good excuse and "its late or its too rainy or too cold " isn't a good one like it is today. Why do you pretend to know what goes on with the delivery side of UPS?
From talking with the old time delivery drivers. Before UPS could track you every minute of the day.

rod

Retired 22 years
From talking with the old time delivery drivers. Before UPS could track you every minute of the day.
UPS has always been able to track a driver --even if it was only by a paper trail. All during the day you were writing the time down at NI's , NM's and every pick up account. Sure it might not have been as accurate as now but you were tracked. There is probably more lying and cheating going on now with all this "weather delay" crap and false excuses why packages aren't delivered on time than ever happened back a few years ago.

oldngray

nowhere special
UPS has always been able to track a driver --even if it was only by a paper trail. All during the day you were writing the time down at NI's , NM's and every pick up account. Sure it might not have been as accurate as now but you were tracked. There is probably more lying and cheating going on now with all this "weather delay" crap and false excuses why packages aren't delivered on time than ever happened back a few years ago.
Supervisors would drive around and spy on you. Versus now where they can spy on you with their computer while sitting in an office.

rod

Retired 22 years
Supervisors would drive around and spy on you. Versus now where they can spy on you with their computer while sitting in an office.
Agreed and I would say they probably road with you more back then---I could be wrong about that but I very seldom see 2 in a truck anymore unless its helper season.

rod

Retired 22 years
Being "watched" also may have had something to do with when they would ride with you for 3 days and time everything you do with their fancy clipboard that had 3 stop watches on it. That was always fun.

I have been lurking

Tired hubrat
Spending all day delivering 40 packages, none that weighed over 25 lbs BTW, isn't that hard.

j13501

Another one who doesn't have a clue :-)
Rod is correct. I believe that no delivery company any where in the country had as qualified and hard working a group of delivery drivers as did UPS. People used to ask me why I worked so hard, and so many hours as I did at UPS. I said that many companies asked you to work hard, but not many paid you as much to get the job done. That was the same for the vast majority (like 95%) of drivers at UPS. They were paid well, but the earned every penny of it!

Ghost in the Darkness

I've said it before... if you aren't moving packages are you really doing anything at ups? They are learning they can slave drive the essential workers only so far... they are realizing the non-essentials workers are the areas they can save money.

PASinterference

Yes, I know I'm working late.
I've said it before... if you aren't moving packages are you really doing anything at ups? They are learning they can slave drive the essential workers only so far... they are realizing the non-essentials workers are the areas they can save money.
I've said it before....we are not in the management business. Let every center manager call in sick and see what happens. Every package will get delivered. Without a pile of useless warning letters to justify their ridiculous salary.

Dragon

Package Center Manager
I've said it before....we are not in the management business. Let every center manager call in sick and see what happens. Every package will get delivered. Without a pile of useless warning letters to justify their ridiculous salary.

I only come in for conference calls...justifies my alleged ridiculous salary.