Theres a FB post claiming a Helper stabbed and killed a driver in CT

BrownStains

This is horrible. I’ve had a few decent helpers in the past but this year I refused, unless if it was somebody I knew , the heck with them.

GenericUsername

I'm hitting 30 stops an hour without a helper this year. With the woman getting beat here in Florida last year by her helper and then this happening, I'll never use a helper in the rest of my UPS career. There's no way in hell they're going to put another person on the package car with me unless I know them or am supervised by them.

Anthony1960

I’ve had some weird helpers over my 21 years. Glad I’m retired now. I wouldn’t blame current drivers to refuse helpers. They hardly vet anyone anymore

Zowert

Anyone from the area?

Here is another reason not to use helpers. Never know if you have a psychopath in the cab with you.

Brown Biscuit

Blind every day
edit: the article you posted doesn’t mention it. I saw an actual news story from Boston. Sorry, just a little on edge from this.

*stabbed to death. Didn’t even read the article. SMH.
Rest In Peace brother.

ManInBrown

This isn't surprising. Many years ago I had both admitted ex-cons and drug dealers as helpers.

UPS does not care to do proper background checks on someone who will only be at the company for 30 days.
This. I had some really strange helpers over the years. UPS does zero vetting when it comes to helpers. That needs to change after this. Prayers to the drivers family and friends.

Indecisi0n

I’ve seen a dude get stabbed over beer one time. It happens so quickly within the span of a couple seconds. One second you are arguing, within the next second the knife is out your arm is sliced open from defending yourself and the guy is already lining up another stab to your gut.

It’s a pretty brutal and scary way to die.
Most people don’t understand real violence . It’s not pretty and it’s not fair. That’s what makes it so savage. This is why these defund police people drive me crazy. They have no idea what some people are capable.

codyf123

Hello everyone, Elijah Bertrand is my little brother (child of 4). Just wanted to add a note.

I feel terrible for the family and everyone affected by his actions. Sincerely. It's unexpected for all parties involved. My brother has never been violent, I doubt the kid has ever been in a fist fight in his life. As far as I remember growing up, he has never acted out in anger, aggression, or any other barbaric emotion I can think of. He's always been pretty reserved, super chill, a bit shy, and a pleasure to have around in the family. He's a great conversationalist and an incredible guitar player (seriously he's REALLY good).

We come from a great home, great family. We weren't particularly poor, we were never abused, we all played sports, did "average" in school, no drugs (other than occasional marijuana), and so on... We have no idea what would have provoked this type of action from Elijah. I don't see my little brother as a murderer or criminal, from my view it's just a one-off absolutely disgusting mistake... Then again I'm sure others on the outside have formed different opinions. I don't see him from the terrible mugshot photos, I see him from the family pictures hung up in my livingroom.

There are a lot of discussions here regarding prevention, which is totally understandable. But I am not sure if this could have been prevented in any way. Elijah is really a great kid with an awful lot to offer the world, especially in the field of music, and besides this one action I have nothing negative to say about him. It's really just sad, for everyone.

Thanks for reading.
If you have questions, I'll follow this thread for a little bit.

over9five

Staff member
I'm hitting 30 stops an hour without a helper this year. With the woman getting beat here in Florida last year by her helper and then this happening, I'll never use a helper in the rest of my UPS career. There's no way in hell they're going to put another person on the package car with me unless I know them or am supervised by them.
Agree, but I wonder if you can refuse to work with another UPS employee...
I suppose that since it's Peak, what are they gonna do if you refuse, fire you? Not likely.

over9five

Staff member
Hello everyone, Elijah Bertrand is my little brother (child of 4). Just wanted to add a note.

I feel terrible for the family and everyone affected by his actions. Sincerely. It's unexpected for all parties involved. My brother has never been violent, I doubt the kid has ever been in a fist fight in his life. As far as I remember growing up, he has never acted out in anger, aggression, or any other barbaric emotion I can think of. He's always been pretty reserved, super chill, a bit shy, and a pleasure to have around in the family. He's a great conversationalist and an incredible guitar player (seriously he's REALLY good).

We come from a great home, great family. We weren't particularly poor, we were never abused, we all played sports, did "average" in school, no drugs (other than occasional marijuana), and so on... We have no idea what would have provoked this type of action from Elijah. I don't see my little brother as a murderer or criminal, from my view it's just a one-off absolutely disgusting mistake... Then again I'm sure others on the outside have formed different opinions. I don't see him from the terrible mugshot photos, I see him from the family pictures hung up in my livingroom.

There are a lot of discussions here regarding prevention, which is totally understandable. But I am not sure if this could have been prevented in any way. Elijah is really a great kid with an awful lot to offer the world, especially in the field of music, and besides this one action I have nothing negative to say about him. It's really just sad, for everyone.

Thanks for reading.
If you have questions, I'll follow this thread for a little bit.
Neighbors of all murderers when interviewed say such things as "He was a nice, quiet man...".

We don't really know anybody.
"Who knows what evil lurks in the hearts of men"