Think about it striking is not the way

M

my2cents

Thanks Drooler. To be honest, I'm not worked up. Its more like studying a strange specimen to see what makes them tick.

K

kjones514

First, I have never vandiziled or terrorized anyone, that includes people that take what the union fights for, even while they make wages while hardworking, descent, union members stand on the strike line for the scabs. Next, the defenseless ones could have honored their OWN picket line, but thats why they are scabs. I could care less though, because I bring home a fat ups check every week for working 3-13s tue-wed-thur, and suck up monday or friday ot if I need a boat payment or new tires for my vette. We must all look in the mirror and decide "what can brown do for me,", then vote accordingly on July 31,2002.

D

deliver_man

"When the Carey money laundering scandal broke, my conscience couldn't stand it any longer."

Correct me if I'm wrong, but wasn't Carey recently acquited on appeal? If memory serves he was cleared of all the charges brought against him.

U

upsdude

Good for you kjones514! Youre the Man! The spineless, gutless man that finds comfort in running with the crowd. I crossed the line by myself with shoulders high every day. You on the other hand needed a crowd around you as you shouted and threatened those that walked alone. Im not so sure Id be too proud if I were you.

G

gsx1990

"I could care less though, because I bring home a fat ups check every week for working 3-13s tue-wed-thur, and suck up monday or friday ot if "

THis comes from the mouth of an idiot who claims
he is not greedy when offered to be the highest
paid in the industry!!! Keep talking kjones...
show your brainwashing and greed!!!

G

gsx1990

"The Air Hub I worked at was staffed by proud members that fought a brave battle and won, hopefully they will win again in 2002. "

You didnt win idiot. You lost 2 weeks of wages,
which took years to recover. The only winners
werea FDX and the postal service! When did the
teamsters put the implant in your head?

K

kjones514

gsx1990, thats for the memories, but I wasnt the only one that turned down the modesty UPS offer to be the "highest paid", lets remember it was 83% of my brothers and sisters, how soon we forget. Mr. Lawrence, you do not have to pay my wages, why do you stir the pot (along with the scab, worth less than 2 cents). I love UPS, I just want a fair days pay for a fair days work. During my 3 work days I see many people come and go, I feel bad for the ones that get 8.5 bucks for a 3 hour shift (25.5 dollars before taxes) how can they survive on it Mr. Lawrance, you my friend are an :censored2:. I just hope that you and your buddy sleep well at night knowing that union people making it happen.

D

deliver_man

Just curious, if you despise the union so much, why on earth would you work for a union company? If you are management I can understand, but as an hourly employee I just don't get it. It's not like you dont have choices, if you have your heart set on delivering packages for a living there are plenty of non-union companies where you can do just that. If you are staying for the wages and benefits, well, you can thank the union for those (though I know you won't, because the union is evil). Is it some sort of love/hate thing?

G

gsx1990

kjones,
I do pay your wages. I pay when I ship via UPS.
I suspect you would jump off a bridge if 83% of
your "brothers" jumped. btw, I sleep well at
night, especially since I have sold most of my
investments in UPS.

deliver man,
I do not despise the idea of an union. I despise the fact that unions have become WAY too
powerful. NO ONE should be forced to join a
union to work for a company. NO SLACKER on the
job should be protected by a union. Promotions
should be based on productivity, not senority.

D

deliver_man

"NO ONE should be forced to join a
union to work for a company."

I live in a right-to-work state, but it is my understanding that even in a "closed shop" noone can be forced to stay in the union and pay dues. If I am wrong on this point please correct me.

"NO SLACKER on the
job should be protected by a union."

Well, yes, in a perfect world. But then in a perfect world no employee would ever be unfairly harrassed either. The union must provide good faith representation to ALL employees, I for one would not be comfortable with a union that picked and chose who it was going to protect. Opens the door to too many "back door" deals. Despite the horror stories, the fact is that an employee at UPS who consistently fails to do his job will eventually be put on the street, union or no union.

"Promotions should be based on productivity, not senority."

Agreed. But the only promotion at UPS is from hourly to management. Management sets the standard for those promotions with no input from the union.

M

my2cents

Carey was acquitted by a prosecution, which acted like his defense. Carey got off because nobody wanted to go higher up the food chain. The higher you go, the more politicized it gets. Trumka would have been the next most likely person to be indicted. From there you are looking at the current DNC chairman. Nobody has the stomach for that. I still can't comprehend how Carey had no knowledge of the disappearance of nearly a million dollars in general treasury funds. He completely failed in his fiduciary duties as General President.

The novel "Atlas Shrugged" was mentioned on another thread in this forum. I think this book would make excellent summertime reading. One learns the difference between the producer and the parasite. Life owes no one a living, especially to those who have the entitlement mentality and choose to usurp it via force, fraud or coercion.

Z

zippo

Atlas Shrugged is a fictionalized depiction of the causes, results, and ultimate implications of man's slow descent into moral and philosophical self- destruction. It is set in the near future, but its many historical and contemporary references are meant to demonstrate that the dangers of intellectual stagnation are plausible and imminent. In the novel, men of the mind rebel against a society that preaches altruism, a society that teaches struggling victims that sacrifices for the sake of others is proper and moral, a society that indoctrinates its youth with a vicious, destructive skepticism. In this society, need is the most important claim to virtue, and so the most productive, capable men are forced into virtual enslavement by a vicious code of directives intended to eliminate all economic class distinctions.

The characters in the novel are for the most part stylized representations of the two primary forces at work in the world: rationality and irrationality. Those few who do not completely fit within one category or the other are specifically designed to demonstrate the conflict between the two forces within the framework of a single life. Rand's primary contention is that morality stems from the ability to accept and fulfill man's potential as a rational being. Her heroes live their lives completely. Because they are not afraid of reality, they possess a superior capacity for joy and passion.

John Galt, the principal hero and liberator in the novel, is the ultimate human being, a man completely immune to fear and suffering. He represents the ideal, the true and the right in human form. The battle he fights is the most difficult and profound in the history of the human race. His soldiers are the men of the industrial intelligentsia and their weapon is the only truly invincible weapon on earth: the power of reason. One of the primary literary devices employed in the novel is the rhetorical question, especially the famous "Who is John Galt?" This question represents at first a sense of futility and fear in the face of inexplicable decay, but eventually grows into its complete and final meaning: a sense of fear in the face of inevitable and just decay. Galt is a symbol of objective human justice.

Though Rand contends that men like John Galt and Hank Rearden do exist, in truth there is no cult of the rational like the one in this novel. Reason provides a pure methodology for discovery and existence, but its application varies from mind to mind. Rational philosophical premises are not innate principles; they must be discovered in the process of living.

D

deliver_man

"Carey was acquitted by a prosecution, which acted like his defense. Carey got off because nobody wanted to go higher up the food chain."

Actually, Carey was acquitted by a jury of 12 men and women who found no conclusive evidence of wrongdoing on his part. If you have some evidence to back your conspiracy theory of a massive cover-up, I would sure like to see it.
"Atlas Shrugged" is intersting as a philosophical treatise, but good luck trying to apply it literally in real life. I respect a lot of Ayn Rand's ideas, but the book is a vast oversimplification of reality in the interest of promoting her beliefs. If you really think that all people can be divided up into "producers" and "parasites" you need to get out of the house a little more. If you try to use that book as a blueprint for dealing with your life, you are going to be awfully frustrated at the end of every day, with noone to blame but yourself. Like any philosophy, use it as a guide post, not a hitching post.

M

my2cents

Okay, There's the money laundering flow chart to check out. I think Ann Coulter's column Mary Jo White-wash and Robert Novaks's column Monitoring the Teamsters says it all.

Additionally, there is another review for Atlas Shrugged. I tend to view the novel from the perspective in this review.

(Message edited by my2cents on June 27, 2002)

D

deliver_man

Well, the money laundering chart is interesting, but even if it is accurate it does not implicate Ron Carey. Neither do the articles by Novak and Coulter. They both accuse Mary Jo White of sitting on the indictments but thats about it. And really, any articles by those two must be taken with a grain of salt. Coulter is about as extremist as the far right gets, and Novak is not far behind. They are both certified democrat haters who have a history of twisting the facts. I don't have much use for extremists on either side of the aisle and I certainly hope you don't look to those two for objective analysis of current events. The bottom line is that Ron Carey had his day in court and was acquitted. There was just not any conclusive evidence against him, only the testimony of people who cut deals with the feds to save their skins. The jury didn't buy it, and they saw ALL the evidence. So I'm still not seeing any evidence of this massive cover up you are talking about.

Not a bad review of Atlas Shrugged, I really did enjoy the book. But I am under no illusions about it being a blueprint for real life. People are much more complicated that Ms.Rand makes them out to be. One thing I found amusing in the book is that all the bad people were ugly, and all the good people were beautiful. Things would be a lot simpler if life were really that way.

M

my2cents

Carey was still removed however, from his duties and remains barred for life from associating with the Teamsters. You can read Conboy's decision to disqualify Carey for more information. Say what you want, but this thing still reeks to me.

In regards to my reading habits, I try to read a broad range of materials. I've read books, magazines, newspaper editorials, etc. by the whole political spectrum. It keeps the mind open. Furthermore, I can't speak for Ms. Rand, but I believe she wrote the way she did so she could get her points across clearly. She dreaded the "cult of moral grayness."

D

deliver_man

"Carey was still removed however, from his duties and remains barred for life from associating with the Teamsters."

Actually, all that was overturned when he was acquitted. He has been totally cleared in the eyes of the law, and is currently not subject to any court ordered sanctions. Whether or not he returns to the teamsters in any capacity will be entirely up to him. I suspect, however that he will choose not to.

S

steward377

Lets ask fedex the non union carrier if they collect fat paychecks like the UPS drivers do?
Teamsters have faults just like any large organization humans can be corrupt, but if it were not for collective bargaining do you you think UPS would pay its employees the wages it does? The strike vote is the only real leverage the union has in the negotiations. To all the people who had ther reasons to cross the line in 97 it is must be nice nice to enjoy all the benefeits that a collective bargaining agreement offers (wages pension benefeits and job protection) without having any to deal with any of the obligations that come with being a Union member.

G

giddyup

If it were not for the Teamsters to negotiate for us,do you think UPS would even give us SENORITY RIGHTS toward bidding on different jobs at this company.We would have kiss ass bidding rights like non-union outfits have.You SENIOR kiss ass employees would have been forced out years ago.Some of you non thinking people better start being more thankful that we even have contract votings privileges without a NO STRIKE-CLAUSE.I have been with this company 23 years and the last 5 years I have never seen management LIE-CHEAT and STEAL from us,especially the part-timers,the way they have lately.Usually near the end of a contract,MgMt. starts to lighten up and kiss our asses for a yes vote.NOT this contract!Something smells foul.Some of you past SCABS and MgMt. kiss asses better wise up before UPS tries to bust this union.If they succeed,we all will be working for just about minimum wage before we retire!