Think twice before you help them implement ORION

union4life

That is no excuse.

Actually, it is. You may not like the excuse but unfortunately UPS is the requiring the percentage. If the management team would allow for a more customer service based decision then there would br no excuse.

My team doesn't. So. I follow ORION and let them deal with it.

soberups

Pees in the brown Koolaid
This is why one of the first things you should do after downloading EDD is to scroll through it. It may be tough for a cover driver to know which stops are commercial and which are residential but the bid driver will most certainly know and there would be no excuse for missed businesses.

Dave,

If they are issuing warning letters for failure to follow ORION then delivering businesses in the 8000 section early in the day will subject the driver to potential disciplinary action for failing to generate the required compliance metric.

We are no longer competent or trustworthy enough to make these sorts of decisions on our own. It is no longer about common sense or good decision making in the real world; its about generating a number on a report.

This is why one of the first things you should do after downloading EDD is to scroll through it. It may be tough for a cover driver to know which stops are commercial and which are residential but the bid driver will most certainly know and there would be no excuse for missed businesses.
You'd probably tell him to do this off the clock also. Right nancy?

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

You'd probably tell him to do this off the clock also.

Walk in, grab your DIAD, download EDD while walking to pkg car, scroll through to see what kind of day you are going to have. I also go through my air and designate commercial/residential. Takes about a minute, maybe two----should I send you a check for $1?

gman042

Been around the block a few times
Orion reminds me of something I learned many years ago while schooling in Electronics.

You can design the perfect circuit on paper. You can even get out of that perfectly designed circuit more energy than you started with....ON PAPER.

However.....when you go to build that circuit with real world components(all that have tolerances and restrictions) you can barely achieve more than 60% efficiency.

UPS has spent more money in the last few years implementing Telematics and Orion trying to create the perfect driver. Though none of us where perfect and never will be, UPS is dealing with that same thing I found out all those years ago in school. You cannot ever build the perfect driver. The programs that UPS uses to try to create that perfect driver are flawed. The drivers are flawed but at least we each know our flaws and can adapt to compensate for them. UPS cannot and will not adapt and compensate for their flaws. By dang, they spent money on this technology and it WILL work

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

Not as much as people working off the clock!

UPS is working to the point where they could hand the DIAD to someone off the street who, with a brief orientation, would be guided throughout their delivery day. Would it be as efficient as a seasoned driver with years of area knowledge? Of course not, but then again it may be efficient enough to meet their needs. Then again, they wouldn't be paying this new driver $32/hr, so the money lost due to lack of proficiency would be more than made up with reduced wages and a job (well?) done.

If the company learned only one thing from 1997 is that it must not only be prepared it we were to ever strike again but to be prepared to the point where they could bust the union and replace each and every one of us. Laugh if you will but why else would they be investing in all of this technology?

bumped

UPS is working to the point where they could hand the DIAD to someone off the street who, with a brief orientation, would be guided throughout their delivery day. Would it be as efficient as a seasoned driver with years of area knowledge? Of course not, but then again it may be efficient enough to meet their needs. Then again, they wouldn't be paying this new driver $32/hr, so the money lost due to lack of proficiency would be more than made up with reduced wages and a job (well?) done.

If the company learned only one thing from 1997 is that it must not only be prepared it we were to ever strike again but to be prepared to the point where they could bust the union and replace each and every one of us. Laugh if you will but why else would they be investing in all of this technology?

This is spot on.

Indecisi0n

Best post I read from Dave so far.

JL 0513

You'd probably tell him to do this off the clock also. Right nancy?

Scrolling through your entire EDD list is something that should be done during walks early in your day. If you are someone who refuses to get a picture of one's day before the clock starts.

Most days I take a few minutes before start time to look at my EDD. This is simply beneficial to you as a driver. Starting the day with an overall glimpse of your stops for the day gives you an idea of what type of day you're going to have. Just makes things smoother.

QKRSTKR

So back to the OP. why would you want to help them set this up perfect so when we (not you) vote to strike again someday (I hope not) it'll be good. Your helping them bust the union. Let them do it themselves. It's not our job.

So you don't think all of this technology has anything to do with breaking our union if we ever (foolishly) decide to strike again?

Ease of implementing novice drivers into the system, sure. The fact that it would help in a strike situation, bonus. But the majority of this is the demand for better numbers and the belief that if smart enough people throw large enough piles of money at something they will get what they want.

When it works for a while it's golden. But when it fails and they have to rely on experience of the worker it will fail big.

Working off the clock is kinda the first step in becoming a scab.

Scab.POS. or a SUP wanna be...take your pick! If I see somebody working off the clock, I will bring it to their attention! If the problem persists....ill bring it to the attention of the union. Maybe a nice ...fine.......from the union will make them stop!!