Thinking about retirement, then this happens

quad decade guy

Just don't act all surprised when its not there when you really need it.

Btw, how much is enough? You could run up some serious bills with cancer, heart disease etc. Hell even breaking your leg could cost big bucks. So, how much? Given we make $100k+(but far from netting that), $500k in a 401k doesn't seem like a lot of money. A catastrophic event could/would burn through that pretty quickly. And do you enjoy your life while you can or be Joe Biden?

burrheadd

KING Of GIFS
Btw, how much is enough? You could run up some serious bills with cancer, heart disease etc. Hell even breaking your leg could cost big bucks. So, how much? Given we make $100k+(but far from netting that), $500k in a 401k doesn't seem like a lot of money. A catastrophic event could/would burn through that pretty quickly. And do you enjoy your life while you can or be Joe Biden?
3B578A94-78E3-4306-BAC5-EFFC14D139D0.jpeg

What’s wrong with Joe he’s got a corvette

rod

Retired 22 years
Those are all decisions you have to make if you retire before you're 65. Once on Medicare and with a decent supplement policy there are far fewer things to think about. Between the time I turned 65 and when the wife did (4 years) we were paying over 800 bucks a month just for her no good insurance. As with everyting else it all boils down to what kind of lifestyle you want to live during retirement. My 401 K was around $500,000 when I bailed in 2001. Close to 20 years later it is still around that even after the crash of 2008 and this year. We had been drawing a few bucks out of it every month for years--especially now that I'm over 70 and you have to. The best advise I can give is get a GOOD financial advisor and stick with him.