This is our Part-Timers plan to action:

alwaysRTS

Shop Steward
The supervisor now get 19.35 to start and they got no union. Hmmmm
They can't get people to go into part-time supervision around here. They've had to resort to hiring them off the street, no experience whatsoever. Also the hourly workers were making more than their supervisors.

My thing is, we've been getting sold down the river for decades , just the stays quo. You say vote to get what we want? Well the things we want should already be negotiated in the contract and not have to get voted down to have it included right?

If the union negotiated for us a catch up raise and a 15 minimum wage then that would mean whether we voted or not it would already be there for us. But we have to vote down concessions that shouldn't be there to begin with to get what we want.

You've been sold out by yourselves, for decades. You, the part-timers, are responsible for where you are. You've been the vast majority for a very long time and have had true control of the outcomes of contracts, but you're a bunch of apathetic dicks. You make a big deal about having your voice heard, that is how you get :censored2: negotiated for you, using your voice. Contract proposal meetings, monthly union meetings, etc. Oh yeah, and :censored2:ing voting! I'd bet my bottom dollar you didn't show up to the contract proposal meeting, and I'd bet you didn't even fill out a suggestion form. GFYS you entitled scab.

Moneythehardway

You've been sold out by yourselves, for decades. You, the part-timers, are responsible for where you are. You've been the vast majority for a very long time and have had true control of the outcomes of contracts, but you're a bunch of apathetic dicks. You make a big deal about having your voice heard, that is how you get :censored2: negotiated for you, using your voice. Contract proposal meetings, monthly union meetings, etc. Oh yeah, and :censored2:ing voting! I'd bet my bottom dollar you didn't show up to the contract proposal meeting, and I'd bet you didn't even fill out a suggestion form. GFYS you entitled scab.

First, As I said before, some of these things should be negotiated before part timers should be forced to vote it down in the first place. $8.50 starting rate all the way until 2013 when they finally moved it up to $10? This isn't something the union should know to bump up even without part timer participation, are you serious? This 'raise' in part time starting rate this go around HAD to go up, the union didn't have negotiate it. Looks more like something UPS put in there as they know they were having trouble hiring for less, it HAD to go up as minimum wages will be long past $10 an hour before this contract is up in many states, so no union negotiations needed, they just take credit for it, we're smarter than that.

Whether you know it or not, a lot of part timers don't know anything about the union because they are not informed, hell some might not know they are even in a union. You forget the turnover rate for part timers is sky high meaning half of them aren't here long enough to even care about a vote let alone here long enough to get ballots in the mail. So 70% of the workforce is part timers but if you minus non-union members and minus the revolving door crowd it is Way less. I bet if you count Part timers with at least 5 years in and only UNION members its less than 50% of the part time workforce able to vote. So there goes that majority vote.

Secondly, I sure wish the union would send the membership mailers and put as much effort into informing the membership of union rights (grievance protection, all the benefits offered , union rights) with the same effort they're sending out millions of yes mailers. Than maybe they will be more informed, more alert and more privy to vote. Thats if the union would put this same effort their doing now with this yes propaganda into sending new union members real info really teaching the new guys the way.

Last edited:

AwashBwashCwash

Entitled, haha. What are we paying dues for then, sunshine and air?
Know why you don't see any part-timers at your meetings?
It's because they are busy working their 2nd and 3rd jobs, because UPS doesn't pay :censored2:.
You're so out of touch you don't even realize that sitting on your old ass in a meeting is a luxury.

BadIdeaGuy

Staff member

I would like to take this opportunity to inform you that I put a 2000 in the 8000 section of your truck.

And I plan on doing the same tomorrow. And the day after.

People like you are the problem. You sell us out, and then blame us for not stopping you?
Come again?
And then. You cuss us out, accuse us all of apathy, and then have the nerve to call us scabs.

As a "brotherhood", we are expected to watch out for each other.
Your preloader is a human too.

Phillip J Fry

sobbing between stops
I would like to take this opportunity to inform you that I put a 2000 in the 8000 section of your truck.

People like you are the problem. You sell us out, and then blame us for not stopping you?
Come again?
And then. You cuss us out, accuse us all of apathy, and then have the nerve to call us scabs.

Don't forget to make sure the overweights are up front wedged behind the two wheeler.

It's because they are busy working their 2nd and 3rd jobs, because UPS doesn't pay :censored2:.
You're so out of touch you don't even realize that sitting on your old ass in a meeting is a luxury.

You think it's cumbersome to have a second or third job because UPS's part-time job doesn't pay enough to live on....I guess I am out of touch for not understanding that a PT job should provide a livable wage. I guess I always thought that's what a FT job provided. My old ass worked hard to afford a "luxury" like taking the opportunity to provide input for my future.

Come again?

I couldn't give a :censored2: where you put that 2000, or for how long, I get paid $100k/yr to dig that out and drive it back. Hell, the extra miles may get me some incentive. And if I sheet enough "missed" it's coming back on you anyway.

I haven't sold anyone out, I've gladly and proudly voted "no" because I believe in "brotherhood" and I do watch out for the next guy. What will naturally happen though is people being uneducated and voting for what sounds good to them. An example would be FT drivers seeing $40/hr and no weekends, sounds good, why pay attention to the rest? That how it goes.

I didn't accuse you all of apathy, I generalized PTers as apathetic, and that is supported by the 27% (I believe that was the number) that showed up in 2013. If you only had 60% (more than half of the FT membership voted in 2013) turnout, you could control the whole thing. Yes, I blame the PT membership for effing themselves all these years.

And yes, I call anyone who refuses to pay dues a scab.

SameRightsForAll

1. We get out and vote, it's all electronic now so it should be way quicker and easier to vote even in your pj's

2. If this gets voted through and you really wanted a no vote, remove yourself from paying union dues if you are in a state in which you are allowed to do so. This way, one way or the other we will get our voices heard and we are taking action and they, the leadership and all who look over part-timers for their own benefits will feel us.

Thats how you take action .

The gentleman is correct that the power of the purse is exactly how you take action against somebody drafting from your wallet every week but not listening to your concerns. You also have a right to not fund corruption if you think there is corruption. On top of all of that, the IBT gives to a political party and candidates which violates every thing I stand for.

vote yes!!!!

You think it's cumbersome to have a second or third job because UPS's part-time job doesn't pay enough to live on....I guess I am out of touch for not understanding that a PT job should provide a livable wage. I guess I always thought that's what a FT job provided. My old ass worked hard to afford a "luxury" like taking the opportunity to provide input for my future.

I agree, what about part-time job do people not understand. It is a job you work to eventually go full-time or your spouse has a job and your here for the insurance. I worked preload for years and had another job to take care of my family, because I knew it was PART-TIME and it alone would never pay the bills.

First, As I said before, some of these things should be negotiated before part timers should be forced to vote it down in the first place. $8.50 starting rate all the way until 2013 when they finally moved it up to $10? This isn't something the union should know to bump up even without part timer participation, are you serious? This 'raise' in part time starting rate this go around HAD to go up, the union didn't have negotiate it. Looks more like something UPS put in there as they know they were having trouble hiring for less, it HAD to go up as minimum wages will be long past $10 an hour before this contract is up in many states, so no union negotiations needed, they just take credit for it, we're smarter than that.

Whether you know it or not, a lot of part timers don't know anything about the union because they are not informed, hell some might not know they are even in a union. You forget the turnover rate for part timers is sky high meaning half of them aren't here long enough to even care about a vote let alone here long enough to get ballots in the mail. So 70% of the workforce is part timers but if you minus non-union members and minus the revolving door crowd it is Way less. I bet if you count Part timers with at least 5 years in and only UNION members its less than 50% of the part time workforce able to vote. So there goes that majority vote.

Secondly, I sure wish the union would send the membership mailers and put as much effort into informing the membership of union rights (grievance protection, all the benefits offered , union rights) with the same effort they're sending out millions of yes mailers. Than maybe they will be more informed, more alert and more privy to vote. Thats if the union would put this same effort their doing now with this yes propaganda into sending new union members real info really teaching the new guys the way.

The membership is just as guilty as the leadership for newer employees are not informed. Stewards should be all over those guys, but the active membership should be looking out for the next guy and educating them as well. I agree, the union can and should do more to keep the membership updated and informed, but each individual has to hold some level of accountability.

More what I took exception to is the consistent rhetoric that PT have been sold out by everyone else but taking no accountability. Even more so, the idea of union employees intentionally becoming non-union workers and taking work from my dues-paying brethren.

Time for change

I agree, what about part-time job do people not understand. It is a job you work to eventually go full-time or your spouse has a job and your here for the insurance. I worked preload for years and had another job to take care of my family, because I knew it was PART-TIME and it alone would never pay the bills.
So maybe they shouldn’t pay part timers at all because it’s just part time. Just absolutely stupid logic. Of course most part timers have other income, doesn’t mean we shouldn’t fight to get a bigger slice of the pie and to have our UPS portion of our income greater.

vote yes!!!!

So maybe they shouldn’t pay part timers at all because it’s just part time. Just absolutely stupid logic. Of course most part timers have other income, doesn’t mean we shouldn’t fight to get a bigger slice of the pie and to have our UPS portion of our income greater.

All I keep reading and hearing is why don’t UPS pay us more so we don’t have to work another job, it’s because it’s part time. I think they should make more, but part time wages will never be enough to survive off one income. (Unless your a 15-20 year pt) then it will.

DELACROIX

In the Spirit of Honore' Daumier
Sorry to say it but even with a 40 hour full time position it is barely enough to survive off one income...

GWI still not up to par...Cost of living rising....Good chance of overtime reductions in all the operations...Pension increases for most inadequate or not existent....Health and Welfare co pays and deductibles still in place...No real protection on health issues and safety issues relating to working over 60....

I have to correct you on your observation about part time employment at UPS...The starting wages have been steadily been reduced to a state minimum rate, most of the newbie part timers are being driven to work by their Moms. They are physically doing a work demanded of a average full time job, some are working over 30 hours a week.

Our turnover ratio with the part time newbies over the last 20 years show show you just how hard of a job it really is. Let us not downplay one position in order to justify the real reason that most of us continually vote in subpar contracts.

I believe the ratio for full time and part time is current 55 percent part time and 45 full time..The percentages of part timers who vote would be considerably less that the full timers on contracts and elections, which is understandable considering how complicated the issues are.

If this contract somehow sneaks through it will be because of the full timers who neither are not up to studying the potential pit falls of bad language or again been so well trained on selecting the "path of least resistance". Also I would throw in your usually assortment of "Me Firsts" and you have the formula that the International is playing to to get this thing ratified...I better not hear any blame if this tentative get voted in that it was strictly those part timers, unless we get well over 50 percent voter participation. It is on us full timers, so choose wisely and live with the consequences of your vote for the next 5 years, and then just see how much bargaining power we will have in 2023 if you do not make a stand on this one...

Nimnim

The Nim
I've seen mention here about people not attending union meetings. Now that Saturday delivery is very much a thing in many locations, there's a fair number of PT and FT that would not be able to attend the usually Saturday morning unions meetings to raise their concerns. If 22.4 and Sunday deliveries pass you can say the same about union meetings on Sundays as well.

BigUnionGuy

Got the T-Shirt
Our turnover ratio with the part time newbies over the last 20 years show show you just how hard of a job it really is.

If anything, the part-time job is easier.

The problem.... is this generation is soft. Weaned on computers, video games, and cell phones.

Next time they have a group in to take a tour, look at the applicants.

It's readily apparent none of them have ever performed physical labor before.

It's even funnier, when they try and come through the guard shack and are told to return

their phone back to their car. It's like a deer.... caught in the headlights.

I've seen mention here about people not attending union meetings. Now that Saturday delivery is very much a thing in many locations, there's a fair number of PT and FT that would not be able to attend the usually Saturday morning unions meetings to raise their concerns. If 22.4 and Sunday deliveries pass you can say the same about union meetings on Sundays as well.

My Local doesn't even have monthly meetings anymore, only quarterly.

Members don't come.... because they don't care.

-Bug-

Nimnim

The Nim
If anything, the part-time job is easier.

The problem.... is this generation is soft. Weaned on computers, video games, and cell phones.

Next time they have a group in to take a tour, look at the applicants.

It's readily apparent none of them have ever performed physical labor before.

It's even funnier, when they try and come through the guard shack and are told to return

their phone back to their car. It's like a deer.... caught in the headlights.

My Local doesn't even have monthly meetings anymore, only quarterly.

Members don't come.... because they don't care.

-Bug-

Physically I'd say the PT job is harder than before, mentally for most positions yeah it's easier. I agree with you about the phone thing, my location has recently let up on the phones you don't need a reason just get a sticker, and there's a huge increase of people not paying attention because they have music or something in both ears from their phones or just downright looking at their phone instead of working.

As far as the meetings, yeah most don't care. So it's unfair to blame one group or the other, I haven't seen you do it in this thread, for not participating and getting shafted in the contract. If we were getting like 90% voter turnout from one group and 30% from the other then yeah, but it's a crap turnout all around.

DELACROIX

In the Spirit of Honore' Daumier
I still remember recently i saw a young part timer who was pulling a skid of returns on one hand and video conferencing on his cell phone on the other. I just shook my head..and we wonder why most of us old timers are getting attitudes and have given up...