This really BURNS me up!!!

UpSate dang sure has a point, "condescending" or not. Tossing a package regardless of the contents is not how we were trained. Or at least not the way UpState and I were, I doubt anyone else.

Tell me Heff, what;s the difference in condescending and satirical ? One more question, what does anyone's post count have to do with the quality of their post?

HEFFERNAN

Huge Member
UpSate dang sure has a point, "condescending" or not. Tossing a package regardless of the contents is not how we were trained. Or at least not the way UpState and I were, I doubt anyone else.

Tell me Heff, what;s the difference in condescending and satirical ? One more question, what does anyone's post count have to do with the quality of their post?

Honking the horn, walking to the front door, and tossing a bag a step away from the doorstep (last time I checked) is not against any policy UPS drivers have. If someone wants to turn hand-to-surface into the 11th commandment then so be it, but it would be nothing any driver in America would get a warning for.

I DON'T ring the bell at every stop because I have woken up people in my area who work 3rd shift for a package that doesn't need a signature. I DON'T ring the bell at every stop because I have woken babies sleeping and got yelled at by tired mothers. I DON'T ring the doorbell at every stop because I've been told as long as I honk, I have nothing to worry about. I know my area better than Upstate Dave, and vice versa. I DO ring the bell if I feel it is a package better brought inside but driver releasable.

His condescending post about New York's measuring system was a shot at MY PROFESSIONALISM. Tossing a QVC bag on someone's doorstep is a trivial part of a UPS driver's day as much as a paperboy tossing the Wall Street Journal on Upstate's condo steps. I believe my point is clear. :happy2:

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

Honking the horn, walking to the front door, and tossing a bag a step away from the doorstep (last time I checked) is not against any policy UPS drivers have. If someone wants to turn hand-to-surface into the 11th commandment then so be it, but it would be nothing any driver in America would get a warning for.

Why not just take that last step and knock on the door and/or ring the doorbell? It may not be against policy but it is certainly not the way that Tex and I and most everyone else here was taught to do the job.

I DON'T ring the bell at every stop because I have woken up people in my area who work 3rd shift for a package that doesn't need a signature. I DON'T ring the bell at every stop because I have woken babies sleeping and got yelled at by tired mothers. I DON'T ring the doorbell at every stop because I've been told as long as honk, I have nothing to worry about. I know my area better than Upstate Dave, and vice versa.

Fair enough and I have customers like that myself but you gave the impression that you do this at all of your residential stops.

His condescending post about New York's measuring system was a shot at MY PROFESSIONALISM. Tossing a QVC bag on someone's doorstep is a trivial part of a UPS driver's day as much as a paperboy tossing the Wall Street Journal on Upstate's condo steps. I believe my point is clear. :happy2:

...and mine as well. We are not the paperboy. You want to toss something toss a ball with your kids or offer to toss the salad at dinner but do not toss packages.

stevetheupsguy

sʇǝʌǝʇɥǝndsƃnʎ
... We are not the paperboy. You want to toss something toss a ball with your kids or offer to toss the salad at dinner but do not toss packages.
Ouch, I think Upstate has a point and wins the debate. What I'm trying to figure out is why Heff, of all people, is on the side he's on.

I thought we were, do it right the first time and never have to look back, kinda people. Is something bothering you? You seem a bit perturbed.

HEFFERNAN

Huge Member
Ouch, I think Upstate has a point and wins the debate. What I'm trying to figure out is why Heff, of all people, is on the side he's on.

I thought we were, do it right the first time and never have to look back, kinda people. Is something bothering you? You seem a bit perturbed.

Myself and Upstate are on good terms :whiteflag:

Was just trying to defend a trivial part of the drivers day. It's hard damn work to debate across the table from Upstate !! :happy2::happy2::happy2::happy2:

Videos like these do look bad, but they have them for every delivery company as well.

MrFedEx

Engorged Member
We walk every pkg all the way up to the door wearing white gloves so we don't soil the surface with our dirty hands. Then we gently place the pkg on the doorstep, ring the bell, and leave a mint on top to show how much we care. Sometimes I'll offer to wash their car or walk the dog.

whiskey

In the first vid it sounded like something breakable was in the package. Could've easily walked those few extra steps to deliver that one safely. The 2nd really is just unbelievable in many ways! I guess you could call this a "drive-by delivery" and probably as much forbidden as shooting.

Even if there's something unbreakable in the package, it makes you look lazy and won't do UPS's reputation any good if you're doing your job this way. I know I wouldn't want my packages being delivered like that.
It's all about SPORH. And if the driver lost time earlier, BSing at his favorite stop, he has to make up that time somewhere. If you lose 60 seconds a stop and you have 120 stops, your paid over 2 hours.

dilligaf

IN VINO VERITAS
I don't knock on every door either, Heff. And I damm sure don't knock on the door when there is a dog in the yard that I don't know. If the customer wants their package at the front door then put the dog in the back yard. I also agree that the odd plactic bag that has clothing in it is not a big deal to toss. I do not agree with tossing it from 10 ft away. I have slid them across porches and raised decks. For that matter I have slid all manner of pkgs across porches and decks.

bumped

Judging from the 1st video it looks like the yard looks like crap...2 older model vehicles with the van possibly doesn't run in the driveway, garbage cans seemingly in the driveway, and the driver using the package to shield himself from the tree branches ....The shrubs look overgrown by having a narrow walk path, and the wagon on the sidewalk. And thats just what we see.

Hawk780

No One in Particular
My problem with either video is twofold. First, you never know without a doubt what is in a package/bag. A package could say "Grandma's Sweater Co.", and actually have fragile items in it.

Second, if you watch the 2nd video closely, you can see two people walking down the street. They look young, but what if one of the kids' dads is a shipping manager, and the kid told the story to pops, turns into bad word-of-mouth.

I saw my neighborhood's driver do something very similar to the 2nd video, and she and I had a long talk about UPS's reputation, and her responsibility to uphold it.

Call me a stickler (or worse!), but do we really have anything other than our reputation to differentiate from the comptetition?

Backlasher

Stronger, Faster, Browner
We walk every pkg all the way up to the door wearing white gloves so we don't soil the surface with our dirty hands. Then we gently place the pkg on the doorstep, ring the bell, and leave a mint on top to show how much we care. Sometimes I'll offer to wash their car or walk the dog.

That is exactly what I do except I don't ring there doorbell cause I don't want to put wear and tear on that special button.
I choose to bring my own catering bell and chime it with a smile. Twice. how you do, here's your special. Take care know.

klein

Für Meno :)
That is exactly what I do except I don't ring there doorbell cause I don't want to put wear and tear on that special button.
I choose to bring my own catering bell and chime it with a smile. Twice. how you do, here's your special. Take care know.

I hear ya, and xmas is a really pain in the butt. Got to giftwrap all packages. I use colors and ribbons that match the persons house.

UPSGUY72

The first one was kind of uncalled for. The only think that is wrong with the sencond one is the distance. If you think that there is a driver out there that use hand to surface on everyone of his stop each day your nuts.

I know in the with time I try to avoid steps especially the ones that look icy or are snow covered. things that come in a bag (clothes not break able) I'll toss a short distance to save time.

I worked the preload and was a sorter the only time I use hand to surface was on heavy packages. other than thatyou work as quick as you could I mean there is know way 3- 4 people are going sort 7-8000 packages in 3 1/2 hours using the Hand to surface method.