This seriously baffles me

PT Car Washer

I should hope so. If that's all you do all day, every day you better be good at it. In contrast, feeder drivers with CDLs tend to do a poor job around here. Crooked trailers, slow, and one time a driver "couldn't figure out" how to back into the air dock.

I don't blame them or anything; you're driving forward on roads most of the time, not backing into docks. I just don't agree with @Covemastah; I'll take our dedicated PTers/Article 22s any day.
The yard dogs shifters use around the yard are designed to move trailers around and backing into tight doors. The regular over the road tractors are not. I have moved them a time or two when they were blocking package cars.

Covemastah

Hoopah drives the boat Chief !!
@Bastiatian , I think all feeder drivers should do time on the shifter when they first come out ,, makes you a better driver !!
Putting air trailer on the finger (air dock- dog house ) is not as easy as it looks, and putting a 4 or 5 bay across the primary is even harder ,, perhaps it was a newer driver , been doing this for 15 yrs ,There's not a move I haven't done ,,either from the book or against the book they want it done yesterday ,,, safety always comes first, weather its a slow week in July, or the last week of peak !!!

KOG72

I’m full of it
I currently work part time at a local amazon sort center and they have recently announced a new "critical role" that employees can sign up for. Its called a "yard dog". This position is the person who switches out the trailers outside the building for loading and unloading.

Now I'm under the impression that a ups employee who does this job works in the "feeder" department making damn good money...

... And amazon is allowing literally anybody to sign up for it and do the job for a whopping $12.50 an hour. Seriously how greedy is that Jeff bezos piece of :censored2: going to get????

I can't wait to quit this :censored2:ing place.
Bring on the Mexicans,they will do it

Johney

@Bastiatian , I think all feeder drivers should do time on the shifter when they first come out ,, makes you a better driver !!
Putting air trailer on the finger (air dock- dog house ) is not as easy as it looks, and putting a 4 or 5 bay across the primary is even harder ,, perhaps it was a newer driver , been doing this for 15 yrs ,There's not a move I haven't done ,,either from the book or against the book they want it done yesterday ,,, safety always comes first, weather its a slow week in July, or the last week of peak !!!
How about curb side on the primary?

bottomups

Bad Moon Risen'
I was first hired in 1982 when a smaller center was opening up. Technically, I was hired as an unloader but was trained to spot trailers on the dock. My first week all I did was practice moving feeders around the yard. Never had to get my CDL because I never left the property.