Thunderstruck

killamjl

I searched and couldnt find any previous post....so anyone ever been struck by lightning while on the job? Or known anyone that has? I had a close call this past week where a tree about 20 yards behind me got hit. Ears were ringing all day scared the crap out of me.

Do the rest of you just stop delivering and code out 15? if you already used your lunch, or just continue on and expect the unexpected.

scratch

Least Best Moderator
Staff member
I had a close call like that too. I could feel the electricity and the hair stood up on my arms. I just went back to work and forgot about it.

Fido

Don’t worry he’s friendly
I once had a dream I was struck by lightning while delivering a package and turned into Zeus the god of thunder and flew around and delivered packages.

MECH-lift

Union Brother ✊🧔 RPCD
FUN FACT:

Cloud-to-ground lightning bolts are a common phenomenon—about 100 strike Earth's surface every single second—yet their power is extraordinary. Each bolt can contain up to one billion volts of electricity

Shiftless

I was riding my motorcycle into a crazy storm one day and lightning was striking all around me, as I finally found a place to take shelter from the lightning I came up on two riders where one got struck! The guy on the Harley with all his chrome buttons and shiny stuff all over his body and bike? A-OK! The guy in full leather's on a crotch rocket? Not so good! Lightning hit him between the back of his helmet and his leathers right on the neck. Lightning traveled down his back, around to the front around his rib cage and totally scorched his test tickles and down his leg and these goofy shoes/boots he was wearing!! Guy on the Harley said they could hardly see at the time when the strike hit. All he saw was his buddy coming back to earth and sliding down the road as the crotch rocket kept up right till it slowed enough to fall over!!
Paramedics showed up, told him you need to go to the hospital as you are cooked from the inside out! He absolutely stunk of a crazy smell even from 6 feet away!! Just got laid off and wouldn't go to the hospital. He looked terrible! I told his buddy help he make the decision to go dude!

THEN! When he starts being more talkative he says " friend In A this is the second time I have been hit by lightning!" apparently he was the only struck in a plane while he was in the air force that got whacked! I immediately put space between me and him as the lightning was coming again!

Shiftless

FUN FACT:

Cloud-to-ground lightning bolts are a common phenomenon—about 100 strike Earth's surface every single second—yet their power is extraordinary. Each bolt can contain up to one billion volts of electricity

I told this previous above story a couple weeks later while Ca. Sierra Mountains when I was out motorcycle camping. The two guys I was talking to about this story said about the same time said they were on their Dual Sport bikes above the valley floor and could see lightning and crazy stuff coming up to their elevation so they decided to ride into a cave nearby. Apparently lightning into a cave searching for ground is common. He said every rider was knocked out from the concussion of the strike. Extremely happy to have had their helmets still on!

olroadbeech

Happy Verified UPSer
my brother in law was almost dead from cancer so he decided to stay drunk all the time. he went outside to take a piss in a lightening storm and got hit by a strike on his belt buckle. It travelled down his leg and blew out his boot.

well his cancer went into remission and he lived almost 30 years longer.

badpal

my brother in law was almost dead from cancer so he decided to stay drunk all the time. he went outside to take a piss in a lightening storm and got hit by a strike on his belt buckle. It travelled down his leg and blew out his boot.

Wow. did he stop drinking?

ManInBrown

I searched and couldnt find any previous post....so anyone ever been struck by lightning while on the job? Or known anyone that has? I had a close call this past week where a tree about 20 yards behind me got hit. Ears were ringing all day scared the crap out of me.

Do the rest of you just stop delivering and code out 15? if you already used your lunch, or just continue on and expect the unexpected.
I hate lightning, scares the sheet out of me.

olroadbeech

Happy Verified UPSer
Thought that experince might give a fella a little religion if anything would.
he was a pretty nice guy. happy drunk and never hurt a soul.I was real happy his cancer went away. dont know what eventually killed him. fell out of touch . on other side of country.
Never really worked a day in his life other than digging clams and selling them. a couple hours work. loved steamed clams fresh.

rod

Retired 22 years
If the weather got to bad while I was delivering I would just stop and let it blow over. Maybe listen to my radio or sort through my load. Mama didn't raise no fool.

BadIdeaGuy

Staff member

giphy.gif

Scuderia

I love lightning storms. But if one struck near me, and my ears were left ringing, I would call it in and go to the doctor. Let the onroad finish the route.

Poop Head

Judge me.
We were told once at pcm, about an off the street feeder driver out of Reno, who also worked package a little bit.

One night, this driver was barreling down donner pass, hot triple set, mexican banditos in hot pursuit. A freak lightning blizzard rolled in. The thiefs had shot ziplines over to the rig and had zipped accross to the back box and were making their way to the cab.

With the long combination vehicle at full tilt, the driver, sawed-off in hand, climbed out the window to the top of the cab. The driver aimed from the hip, pulled the trigger, and.. nothing. The weapon was empty from a few hours prior, when the driver had to shoot their way through a Compton intersection.

The story goes.. the driver, feeling the air begin to ionize, threw the sawed-off shotgun at the baditos. The leader caught it.

BOOM!!

All of the bad guys, instantly vaporized by the most powerful lightning bolt in history.

The driver, who had maintained a deadpan face through the entire ordeal, cracked a slight smile. Climbed back down into the cab, held a Virginia Slim out the window just as lightning struck again, lighting the cigarette, and rode off into the sunrise.