Time Commitments

dezguy

You don't have to justify yourself to him or to anyone else on this anonymous Internet chat forum.

I actually agree with what you are doing.

Who cares what impact what you are doing may have on whomever takes over your route when you leave. That's their problem-----not yours.
You agree with him putting himself in a position to get sued or left with medical expenses that could bury him?

Of course you would.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

You agree with him putting himself in a position to get sued or left with medical expenses that could bury him?

Of course you would.

Sued for what??

What sense does it make for him to sit for an hour if he is getting done at 4 and OT doesn't start until 5:30? Being forced to take his full unpaid lunch has no effect on his paid day and makes zero sense.

bacha29

Of course you would.
Sued for what??

What sense does it make for him to sit for an hour if he is getting done at 4 and OT doesn't start until 5:30? Being forced to take his full unpaid lunch has no effect on his paid day and makes zero sense.
Sued? Maybe, maybe not.......but having a conviction on your record for records falsification or workman's comp fraud can go along way toward cancelling out whatever advancement a college degree might get you.

dezguy

Sued for what??

If he's driving and kills someone, while on break, do you think FedEx is going to step up and have their lawyers represent him? Both FedEx and he will be sued. FedEx will settle but I find it very hard to believe he has the clout to settle out of court or drag the process on until the other side runs out of money.

He stated that if he takes a break, it forces him into overtime he doesn't want. Why would it force him into ot? You're still working the same amount of hours with a rest period. There is absolutely no reason not to take your break and there's absolutely no reason to work while you are supposed to be on a rest period.

Artee

If he's driving and kills someone, while on break, do you think FedEx is going to step up and have their lawyers represent him? Both FedEx and he will be sued. FedEx will settle but I find it very hard to believe he has the clout to settle out of court or drag the process on until the other side runs out of money.

He stated that if he takes a break, it forces him into overtime he doesn't want. Why would it force him into ot? You're still working the same amount of hours with a rest period. There is absolutely no reason not to take your break and there's absolutely no reason to work while you are supposed to be on a rest period.

Its been over 20 years since I have been a courier, so maybe things are different now, but back then when on lunch break we could drive a reasonable amount of miles from our area to get something to eat and back. Say 10 miles. Being on lunch is not "off the clock". You are off the clock when you punch out at the end of the day right? I could understand if in the evening he went back to the barn, clocked out, and then got back in a FDX vehicle and went out to dinner.

We have had a driver or two who worked nights, would come in a few hours before their shifts, get all their stuff, their tractor/trailer and take off to watch their kids sporting events in the evenings and then head off to the stations to do their nighttime pulls to the hub. I imagine they clocked in at the DGO station when they got there or just wrote in their time and had management ok it the next day. Management knew and said they were covered by insurance or they would not be allowing it.

McFeely

Huge Member
For those who have never done the math on 'working thru your break'...
Let's assume:
-40 hour week
-$20/hr pay
-30 min unpaid break

If I work through my break on an 8 hour workday, I've just made it a 7.5 hour day of pay. No OT. But I get home 30 minutes earlier.

If I work through my break on a 8.5 hour workday, I've just made it a 8 hour day of pay. No OT. But I get home 30 minutes earlier.

30 min/day of straight time x 5 days a week = $50/week
30 min/day at OT rate x 5 days a week = $75/week

If you work 50 weeks a year, even at straight time only that's $2500 a year.

For me, it doesn't make sense to work through my break. YMMV

AB831

There is absolutely no reason not to take your break and there's absolutely no reason to work while you are supposed to be on a rest period.
I take my rest period. I take it at home in my pajamas or out with friends. If you want to take your rest period in sweaty clothes while sitting behind a McDonald’s that’s up to you. I do what I do, and my manager has no problem with it. I’m not sure why it’s so outrageous to you.

Damon77

I do what I do, and my manager has no problem with it. I’m not sure why it’s so outrageous to you.

Of course he doesn't, your making his numbers look great.

You're young, and I get it. Free time, especially at this place, is at a premium. But one day down the road I hope you'll realize why we are all saying what we are saying. You are working. Stem time to and from area is something that FedEx has budgeted into their business model. What happens when your next manager says "Well, since he gets done 30 mins early than the other guys, we should give him more work?" I've been on that end of it, itll happen.

Just be safe man. It's a violation of company policy and both you and your manager can be terminated for it.

It will be fine

It was stupid of them to post that video. That said.... they need to go back and kick his ass. Lol.
The video was of them yelling and threatening a dude standing in his driveway. While their account is believable the video doesn’t show any bad behavior from the homeowner. I would have fired the driver for violating the social media policy of my company.

bacha29

English major and the word is college, not collage.[/QUOTE Yes, I see my misspelling which I would have seen if I had thoroughly proof read it. It will be hard enough for you to get a job with degree in English because face it we're not talking about aerospace engineering here. And it will be much more difficult if you have a criminal record or a termination of employment record haunting you.

Delivering letters for Fat Freddy may just end up being be the best job you'll ever have.

bacha29

The video was of them yelling and threatening a dude standing in his driveway. While their account is believable the video doesn’t show any bad behavior from the homeowner. I would have fired the driver for violating the social media policy of my company.
Of course you would fire them......Right after Fedex has already fired them and due to the fact that you absolutely have no say in the matter other than to just stand there bobbing your "yes man" head up and down with your thumb in your bodily orifice. ......So let's see how much "funny" you can extract from that fact.

bacha29

I’ll realize what? That I wish I’d have spent more time sitting in a McDonald’s parking lot just to get an hour of overtime that I don’t want? Doubt it.
You were fully and completely aware of the terms of employment when you accepted it. Trying to bend and reshape the rules of employment in a way that best serves your future aspirations could result in you finding yourself having to seek alternative employment that can simply cannot be modified in any way and could leave you wishing that you had played by Fat Freddy's rules from the beginning.

AB831

You were fully and completely aware of the terms of employment when you accepted it. Trying to bend and reshape the rules of employment in a way that best serves your future aspirations could result in you finding yourself having to seek alternative employment that can simply cannot be modified in any way and could leave you wishing that you had played by Fat Freddy's rules from the beginning.
Did you seriously just say that it’ll be hard to find a job with an English degree? Do you actually know anything at all?

Last edited:

AB831

Of course he doesn't, your making his numbers look great.

You're young, and I get it. Free time, especially at this place, is at a premium. But one day down the road I hope you'll realize why we are all saying what we are saying. You are working. Stem time to and from area is something that FedEx has budgeted into their business model. What happens when your next manager says "Well, since he gets done 30 mins early than the other guys, we should give him more work?" I've been on that end of it, itll happen.

Just be safe man. It's a violation of company policy and both you and your manager can be terminated for it.
Thanks, man. Cheers!

Fred's Myth

Nonhyphenated American
Sued for what??

Had a courier at our station have a bicyclist run into her as she turned a corner. The bicyclist sued. The courier was informed by FedEx that if she was found doing anything outside her defined duties, or her phone was activated at the time, that the company would not defend her and that she would need to retain her own attorney.