time studies

robo66us

I am 10 days away from seniority (brand new). I have been told by my management team that I need to run scratch for five days or I will be disqualified.
I have asked some questions about the allowences we receive, for instance, I asked my manager what the difference in allowence is in delivering 25 envelopes and 25 20"x20" boxes and he said "thier is none". Right then and there I knew I may as well have been arguing with my wife so I didn't say anything.
I have talked to other drivers about the "scratch" situation management has infromed me of and at least three of them has given me the exact same advice, "friend** them!!!!! Be safe work hard and don't get into any accidents."
I have been putting in a lunch and working through it just in case, but after I reach my forty that will come to a screeching halt.
And besides all that, I was 23 clicks over the other day and my Manager told me that it didn't count as a "scratch day". Give me a break, I admit I was born at night but it wasn't last night!!!!

I just want the job!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Any thoughts??????????????

toonertoo

Most Awesome Dog
Staff member
I doubt they will disqualify you, its just a scare tactic. But I guess it depends where you are and how bad they need drivers. They have invested quite a bit of money in you, unless you are real bad, I think you will be OK. You are right about your lunch and breaks, but you do what you have to do to get in. What you give up now, you will make up in smoothness later. Keep us posted. Dont forget to put in you 0/70s, your air pieces, any s&L time.

robo66us

S&L time is sort and load right. How do I count that?

I come in at around 7:45, 8:00 to go through my load and start getting paid at 8:30. Is this S&L? Can I add any of that to my planned day?

If anyone can tell my any details to the time alowence stuff, it might help. I knew about the over 70 and counting the air and international, and I doubt waiting around for management to tell me will pay off anytime soon. (Still waiting for my "employee handbook", good thing I'm not holding my breath.)

dilligaf

IN VINO VERITAS
First of all I agree with Tooner, its probably a scare tactic. Second, by putting in your lunch and not taking it youare technically falsifing company records. Just so you are aware that this is an integrity issue and can very easily be terminated for such. I'm not saying it will happen but you need to now that it would not be the first time. Now as far as your employee handbook here's what you do.........Go to upsers.com if you don't already have an account you will have to set one up.. After you get in click on OUR COMPANY/POLICIES and PROCEDURES/COMPLIANCE/ ...... scroll down to UPS CODE OF BUSINESS CONDUCT download to your computer......then go back to under policies and procedures and click on UPS POLICY BOOK and also download to your comp.. I would advise that you read each of these you will find some very good info in each...

Covemastah

Hoopah drives the boat Chief !!
Manager told me that it didn't count as a "scratch day". Give me a break, I admit I was born at night but it wasn't last night!!!! you will make it ,dont worry just remember the Empire will never be happy with the work you do. once they have
you
they will add a little more each day or week to test your limits keep taking that lunch and stay out later...save the area you know best for last,that way you can get through it easier than a split you never saw... when THEY ask you about your perfomance, tell them I'm doing the best i can with the tiils GOD provided me with!!!!!
good luck drivah!!!

mattwtrs

Retired Senior Member
Aren't even "worthless packages" still automatically insured for up to $100.00?
They may be insured for $100.00 but if there is a claim the shipper used to have to produce an invoice for the actual value. Things may have changed since I had that problem.

toonertoo

Most Awesome Dog
Staff member

I come in at around 7:45, 8:00 to go through my load and start getting paid at 8:30. Is this S&L? Can I add any of that to my planned day?

If anyone can tell my any details to the time alowence stuff, it might help. I knew about the over 70 and counting the air and international, and I doubt waiting around for management to tell me will pay off anytime soon. (Still waiting for my "employee handbook", good thing I'm not holding my breath.)
Sort and load time is in the inside building screen. If your scheduled start time is 8:30 then you cannot put it in unless they give you permission to start early as 1. it goes into preload time and they dont like that and 2. You are working off the clock which is against company and union rules. the seniors may let you get away with it now, til you gain seniority, then its over.
ive been here 23 glorious fun filled years and Ive never seen an employee handbook. Treat everyone as you would like to be treated and you will be fine.

Griff

If you like working for free, I have a room or two you can come over and paint this weekend. Let me know.

DS

Fenderbender

You are not supposed to even look at your load until 8:30.Heres my advice.Go in at 8:30,look through your air,find the furthest 10:30 commit and do it first,working back towards your normal trace.Try to deliver air and ground together wherever possible while still making the commit times for your express.Put the time you spend at 8:30 in your board as sort and load.It is broken into 3 segments,at 10:30 go through the rest of your load as you would normally do at 8:00 off the clock,and put it in sort and load as well.After you deliver all your air,organize your truck to make it efficient to deliver what you have left,and put it in sort and load as well.At this point you can get rid of all the time consuming stops (cod's,apartments,grocery stores)and save the easiest for last.Never be not busy.If someone makes you wait,prerecord a bulk stop and pile it at the back for easy access,line up your resis,soon you may find you are so efficient,you can actually stop and take lunch.Its kinda weird,but thats one thing I like about ups,every day is a new challenge.

brownmonster

Man of Great Wisdom
DS, we are not allowed to use sort and load. Even when I actually have to finish loading my truck in the AM. It makes the pathetic preload look even worse.

dilligaf

IN VINO VERITAS
DS, we are not allowed to use sort and load. Even when I actually have to finish loading my truck in the AM. It makes the pathetic preload look even worse.
Hey Brown I use s/l and loc srt time at least once a week. They cannot remove it from your time card, it's falsifying comp docs. We are forced out of our job class at least once a week when we have to unload our own trucks. That's loc srt time NOT MINE. If I have to wrap up my truck in the morning (IE feeders still being unloaded) that's preload time NOT MINE. Personally I don't care what it does to their numbers.

paidslave

Cool now you can really run overallowed more..How stupid and very unfair to the drivers who get stuck using there delivery time to load their truck!

Call the 800 and report an integrity issue!

brownmonster

Man of Great Wisdom
They used to send loaders home when the drivers got to the truck. I told a supe once that at 5 I was coming in whether I was finished or not. Why should I complete my job when the loader doesn't have to? He told the loader to stay and finish.

brown bomber

brown bomber
a number of drivers in our center refuse to load their trucks..because they aren't given S + L allowances...it's the job of the PRELOAD, not the drivers.....AM times of 30 minutes or more are happening on a regular basis

brown bomber

brown bomber
loaders load the pkg. cars...drivers, fix and clean-up those mistakes along w/ the dispatching errors by MGT, the screw-ups by the swing drivers..and a multitude of other problems

Harley Rider

34 yrs & done!
Bad thing about using S&L to finish loading your car is you will still be over allowed before you leave the building. Thats why I go into "other work" and list my loading time under "S&L Skilled." That doesn't bunch your time in with the preloads effectiveness for that day. Same thing when I come in and have to help unload when I am running late and close to the feeder pull time.