Time to buy UPS Stock at 10% off via DESPP

browniehound

OK...reasonable advise to be careful. However, every company you provided as an example had P/E ratios above 50; some well above...UPS P/E is 14 - 16. Basically UPS is a Utility type stock paying dividends while the others were high-growth technology type stocks that did not pay dividends. UPS is most likely settling in to a long-term P/E ratio in the 14 - 18 range. If our profits go down, so will the stock price.
Bottom line - understand the basics of understanding company fundamentals and financials and if you don't have the time or desire to do that, buy index funds or low cost managed funds. And don't let any one company's stock represent more than 10% of your investments. I readjust my investments at least annually to maintain a balance.

Hoaxster,
Thanks for the info. You're right, I was comparing apples to oranges when I mentioned UPS vs. Cisco. To be honest, I didn't look at either's balance sheet when I made that post. I just remember my center manager at the time telling me during a ride that he bought some Cisco in early 2000 ( :sick: OOPS) because we were actually delivering to the company at the time. I always think of that day when someone mentions its the bottom.

Also, thats all I invest in is index funds. Someday when I leave UPS and have the time to do homework I will buy individual stocks.

One more thing Hoaxster. Did you know you look like the "Million Dollar Man Ted Dibiasi"? LOL. Don't know who he was? He wrestled in the WWF during the mid 80's in which he paid "Andre The Giant" to beat "Hulk Hogan" for the WWF title (which never happened)and then hand it over to him, LOL.

He had a body guard named "Virgil". Anybody remember this:happy2:?

Catatonic

Nine Lives
UPS has more shares outstanding and paying 4 times the dividend.

UPS
The UPS Board of Directors today declared a regular quarterly dividend of $0.45 per share on all outstanding Class A and Class B shares.
The dividend is payable Sept. 9, 2008, to shareholders of record on Aug. 25, 2008. UPS has either increased or maintained its dividend every year for more than three decades.

FEDEX
The Board of Directors of FedEx Corporation (NYSE: FDX) today declared a quarterly cash dividend of $0.11 per share on FedEx Corporation common stock.
The dividend is payable October 1, 2008 to stockholders of record at the close of business on September 10, 2008.

UPS has more shares outstanding and paying 4 times the dividend.