Tips for a Seasonal Employee

Coldworld

60 months and counting
Oh, yeah. You should probably apologize to barnyard. He's one of the least trollish of the mods.[/QUOTE]
Yeah... The one mod you really need to watch out for is the one who calls himself "picture perfect" or the "rollinmajigger" or some other funky name like that.. I think we have all lost track

I just got hired by UPS for a seasonal package handler position and want to do everything I can to lock myself into the one permanent position, I have been told is available after the holidays. I just came from a career in the oilfield and I know how to work. I am just looking for little things that can help me stand out among other seasonal drivers to help me start my new career at UPS! I have been to the FAQ page for new hires and it is very informative but it its deep and broad. I appreciate any input!
Thank you,
Tron
Eat a good breakfast. If you have to pass gas wait till you are out of the truck.

WhatAboutBrown

I have a tour scheduled tomorrow for a seasonal package handler but I also have a family vacy coming up from Dec 22-26th, should I just go ahead and assume they wont hire me because I wont be available to work during those days?

browner89

I have a tour scheduled tomorrow for a seasonal package handler but I also have a family vacy coming up from Dec 22-26th, should I just go ahead and assume they wont hire me because I wont be available to work during those days?

Realistically you'll only miss two working days, you could probably get away with not telling them and calling in sick. You likely won't be needed much at all after the 26th anyways.

I always have found it weird though how many people look for jobs 3 weeks before going on vacation and expect everything to be fine, though.

WhatAboutBrown

Realistically you'll only miss two working days, you could probably get away with not telling them and calling in sick. You likely won't be needed much at all after the 26th anyways.

I always have found it weird though how many people look for jobs 3 weeks before going on vacation and expect everything to be fine, though.

I applied for the job at the end of October and am just being scheduled for the tour, I'm willing to work for as long as they need me, just thought I'd ask... thanks!

olroadbeech

Happy Verified UPSer
common sense RULES.

observe the Golden Rule

put yourself in the bosses shoes. ( anticipate )

go the extra mile. ( come in a little early and always ask near end of shift if there is anything else you can do )

come to work clean and well groomed. ( that will help you stand out .. ha ha )

as hectic as it will get , a good supervisor will notice a good worker and will put in a good word in for you. let them know that you are interested in work after peak.

good luck

browner89

Please do this. At least shower at some point during the day before you work. It's so incredibly disgusting to have to stand next to someone who doesn't have the decency to bathe themselves and see no reason to wear deodorant.

wayfair

swollen member
Please do this. At least shower at some point during the day before you work. It's so incredibly disgusting to have to stand next to someone who doesn't have the decency to bathe themselves and see no reason to wear deodorant.

ah, have you never been to a Haji store??

ideliver2u67

20 Down
I got the job and I am currently qualifying!!!! thanks to all the helpful posts. Attitude, drive, and especially cleanliness got me the job.
Congratulations. Work smart, stay busy and you will be OK. Remember, this company demands alot and will push you, but they also know you can only do so much. ( they won't let you know that though )

Tron Swanson

Ups appearance standards have gone down the tube..used to be a line around the block to get a job here not so much anymore

Ah gee Thanks. I was one of 10+ seasonal people trying to get this job and worked my ass off to get this opportunity. I am fully aware that it isn't easy to get full time job off the street and I was incredibly lucky to be in my center at the right time. Every other upser I've talked to recognizes that..... Have a good night.

Coldworld

60 months and counting
common sense RULES.

observe the Golden Rule

put yourself in the bosses shoes. ( anticipate )

go the extra mile. ( come in a little early and always ask near end of shift if there is anything else you can do )

as hectic as it will get , a good supervisor will notice a good worker and will put in a good word in for you. let them know that you are interested in work after peak.

good luck
Not sure about that ... Ups has a tendency to make good workers turn into good union folks after awhile in the job... Just saying...seen it happen over and over especially for off the street hires who try to prove something because " ups took a chance on me" then things take a 180 degree turn after the abuse starts!!