Tips for avoiding injury

InsideUPS

I'm pretty new to this, already hurtin, and want to make sure that if and when I retire, I do it intact. Clearly, the PCM warmup is not enough.

What are some things you do to protect yourself? Seen others do successfully? Injuries you've got that the doctor said, "Well, you should/shouldn't have been doing this?"

My first suggestion besides following the methods would be to read, understand, and enforce the contract language when necessary. The Over 70 language in particular is one of the more under-utilized sections of the contract dealing with worker safety.

Attachments

• Over70.pdf
    79.8 KB · Views: 172

Driver7906

Never step off the package car while carrying a package, no matter how light or heavy it is.

Keep your back straight while lifting.

Always use a handcart/dolly for any packages over 40-50 pounds if you are carrying it long distance. Carrying that weight will wear down your knee and hip joints over time.

The best safety tip I can give to avoid injury, maintain your long term health and extend your UPS career... Go into Feeder as soon as you can.

watdaflock?

I'm pretty new to this, already hurtin, and want to make sure that if and when I retire, I do it intact. Clearly, the PCM warmup is not enough.

What are some things you do to protect yourself? Seen others do successfully? Injuries you've got that the doctor said, "Well, you should/shouldn't have been doing this?"
Find a career behind a desk.

DOK

Work out on the side as well, upper body, maybe run a few miles every other day. It helps.

myback

Drugs, lots of drugs

myback

Stretch at home, not just the PCM. Stretch throughout the day. Don't rush yourself. Be decisive in your movements. Don't jerk when lifting or twist stupidly. If you have to get on a knee to get a package out from under a shelf, do that instead of bending or squatting. Wear good shoes. Eat healthier (something I'm terrible at), drink plenty of water... There's a ton of things they preach daily that actually do work. Find a good way to also get rid of your stress, whether it's a physical activity after work or some sort of mental exercises. I play competitive video games at night. For those in the know, I used to be LEM in CS:GO and Masters/low GM in Overwatch. Don't just sit on the couch, do something.
Hookers and blow

El Correcto

god is dead

I do it by not being a big pusillanimous. You’re lifting stuff not cage fighting.

ManInBrown

Feeders

trickpony1

90% of the hurtin I'm feeling is from sitting and driving,

35+ years ago a chiropractor told me:
"don't keep anything in your back pocket...not even a credit card.".

Me: "why's that?".

Chiropractor: because it can tilt your pelvis....even a degree or two and cause your spine/pelvis to be out of alignment.".

Since then I've kept my wallet in a front pocket.

Guess what?
'ol trickster doesn't have back problems after 30+ years of getting slapped around in a feeder.

Just a suggestion...do what you want.

burrheadd

KING Of GIFS
35+ years ago a chiropractor told me:
"don't keep anything in your back pocket...not even a credit card.".

Me: "why's that?".

Chiropractor: because it can tilt your pelvis....even a degree or two and cause your spine/pelvis to be out of alignment.".

Since then I've kept my wallet in a front pocket.

Guess what?
'ol trickster doesn't have back problems after 30+ years of getting slapped around in a feeder.

Just a suggestion...do what you want.

always thought you carried a purse

Dumbo

Lift weights (seriously building muscle protects your joints and evens out any imbalances)

Stretch throughout day (I do quick yoga poses or stretches in between stops all day. You can also do pullups or hangs off the shelves)

Sleep (always get your 8 no matter what)

Hydrate

Avoid sugar and too much alcohol

Stress management (I do conscious breath control all day. Box breathing, 4 seconds in, 2 second hold, 6-8 seconds out. Automatically activates parasympathetic nervous system. You can't stay stressed when doing breathing like this)

Fish oil

Creatine

ZMA at night (zinc magnesium aspartate b6)

Cold showers (Google benefits)

Adequate fat and protein intake (I put coconut oil in my coffee every day)

Basically make a priority out of caring for your body and mind. Inflammation in the body (cells and tissues) is the cause of all illness and overuse injury. Keeping inflammation low is the key to longevity.

Last edited: