Tips for backing

Rack em

Made the Podium
It is probably a bad thing, but I am too confident when backing. I assume I will be humbled soon and back into something, but backing has never really bothered me. I use the mirrors for the most part until I am within 6 feet or so then use the camera. As long as you scan the area before you back there shouldn't be any surprises.

specter208

Approach your dock or parking space. Have the PKg Car perpendicular to where you want to back. When the front wheels begins to pass the edge of the dock lines, turn hard right and go out as straight as possible and then turn hard left to get the truck pointing towards your dock. Watch your rear tires as this is where the car will pivot from when backing. Get the rear tires to come over your line at as straight an angle as possible to avoid hitting your neighbor vehicle and go straight in. Watch your side mirrors to line up and check frequently to where your rear tires are.

Covemastah

Hoopah drives the boat Chief !!
How the hell did you pass the road test or intragrad ?? Like to meet the boob who signed off on you if you weren’t properly trained !

olroadbeech

Happy Verified UPSer
I already asked this in the newbie thread and didn't get any response. Maybe because it's an embarrassing/stupid question, but I want to get better so I don't care.

Does anyone have any tips for backing, especially in a crowded center? I *really* suck at this, probably because I never even back my personal car, although I've started to do that for practice, and I never got any training on it. Easily the most stressful part of my day.

Any help appreciated, both by me and all the drivers stuck behind me. Thanks
Used the methods and practice practice practice

zubenelgenubi

I'm a star
Don't park your car. Let the parker do it, it's his job.

Otherwise, if you don't feel comfortable get out and look where you are. Do that enough and you'll get the hang of backing pretty quick. Then you can start trying to park with a P-60 trailer attached.

SLW

How the hell did you pass the road test or intragrad ??
Backing (at least the kind that we do in the center) isn't covered at all. Seems weird since it's something you have to do literally every day. Didn't have any issues with the backing scenarios we did do.

Wally

BrownCafe Innovator & King of Puns
I already asked this in the newbie thread and didn't get any response. Maybe because it's an embarrassing/stupid question, but I want to get better so I don't care.

Does anyone have any tips for backing, especially in a crowded center? I *really* suck at this, probably because I never even back my personal car, although I've started to do that for practice, and I never got any training on it. Easily the most stressful part of my day.

Any help appreciated, both by me and all the drivers stuck behind me. Thanks
Lol, my sup is having a heart attack if he's reading this.

SLW

Some monitors/cameras are very fish-eye-lens and when it looks like you're going to hit the truck next to you, you still have 3 feet.

Used a spotter last night and this was absolutely the case. I had more room than I thought. Still suck at backing at the end of the day, but on my actual route it's fine now, so hopefully it's just a matter of time. I'm going to try and watch more closely on what other drivers are doing.

MyTripisCut

Never bought my own handtruck
Used a spotter last night and this was absolutely the case. I had more room than I thought. Still suck at backing at the end of the day, but on my actual route it's fine now, so hopefully it's just a matter of time. I'm going to try and watch more closely on what other drivers are doing.
Just think, once you get good at it, you’ll be able to pop in neutral and Coast hundreds of feet backwards while not showing up on the backing report! Runner gunner special! Am I right @Wally ?

Wally

BrownCafe Innovator & King of Puns
Just think, once you get good at it, you’ll be able to pop in neutral and Coast hundreds of feet backwards while not showing up on the backing report! Runner gunner special! Am I right @Wally ?
Oh yea!

We recently had a pcm where the center manager was yelling over some telematic report. Some driver backing at 30 mph! That's backing!

Zowert

This is simple but have both doors on your package car open. Even that little extra visibility helps. If there are people anywhere around while you’re backing then honk like a goose.

As mentioned before, when in doubt get out and look. Even if you’ve backed into the same loading dock hundreds of times, there’s no shame in shutting her down to get out and take a look if you feel something is off. Finally, head on a swivel. That’s all I got.

BigUnionGuy

Got the T-Shirt
This is simple but have both doors on your package car open. Even that little extra visibility helps. If there are people anywhere around while you’re backing then honk like a goose.

As mentioned before, when in doubt get out and look. Even if you’ve backed into the same loading dock hundreds of times, there’s no shame in shutting her down to get out and take a look if you feel something is off. Finally, head on a swivel. That’s all I got.

That's good advice.

In my area, they don't let new-hires or seasonal's pull the truck off the dock

or let them park. Always get a spotter.... even if it's just an OMS.

Experienced cover drivers will always carry a few box-end wrenches to adjust mirrors.

When you run 5 different routes in 5 days, you're not going to fit the previous

drivers seat position or sight line in the mirrors. Kind of like CYA.

Unless.... you have a full functioning automotive department.

Then pull in line and wait your turn.

10:30am commit on NDA's.... is just a suggestion at that point.

:biggrin:

scooby0048

This page left intentionally blank
Oh yea!

We recently had a pcm where the center manager was yelling over some telematic report. Some driver backing at 30 mph! That's backing!

A few winters ago I was going into a ranch and the road is barely wide enough for the truck. With culverts on both sides of road, you're committed to go all the way until you get to the house. Not that time, as there was a snow drift that was as tall as the truck. I called in and told them I was going to set off a bunch of alerts at mission command getting out of there, because I was in about a half mile, and asked if they wanted to call a tow or have me back out.

They told me try to back if I could do it safely. I drove that bitch like a boss and got out without getting stuck or going off the side into the culvert. A few days later the center manager had come to visit and I jokingly asked him how far I actually backed, if I was close in my guess of half a mile and if he got alerted. You could just tell he was going to blow his top but calmly said, "Yeah I got alerted but I don't know whether to be pissed you backed 3318ft at speeds more than 15mph or to congratulate you for such an impressive feat. Next time, I'll pay for a tow!"