Tips for backing

MyTripisCut

Never bought my own handtruck
A few winters ago I was going into a ranch and the road is barely wide enough for the truck. With culverts on both sides of road, you're committed to go all the way until you get to the house. Not that time, as there was a snow drift that was as tall as the truck. I called in and told them I was going to set off a bunch of alerts at mission command getting out of there, because I was in about a half mile, and asked if they wanted to call a tow or have me back out.

They told me try to back if I could do it safely. I drove that bitch like a boss and got out without getting stuck or going off the side into the culvert. A few days later the center manager had come to visit and I jokingly asked him how far I actually backed, if I was close in my guess of half a mile and if he got alerted. You could just tell he was going to blow his top but calmly said, "Yeah I got alerted but I don't know whether to be pissed you backed 3318ft at speeds more than 15mph or to congratulate you for such an impressive feat. Next time, I'll pay for a tow!"
What’s a culvert? @Wally and @Brownslave688 , I’m gonna need you guys to weigh in on this one.

cosmo1

Perhaps.
Staff member
A few winters ago I was going into a ranch and the road is barely wide enough for the truck. With culverts on both sides of road, you're committed to go all the way until you get to the house. Not that time, as there was a snow drift that was as tall as the truck. I called in and told them I was going to set off a bunch of alerts at mission command getting out of there, because I was in about a half mile, and asked if they wanted to call a tow or have me back out.

They told me try to back if I could do it safely. I drove that bitch like a boss and got out without getting stuck or going off the side into the culvert. A few days later the center manager had come to visit and I jokingly asked him how far I actually backed, if I was close in my guess of half a mile and if he got alerted. You could just tell he was going to blow his top but calmly said, "Yeah I got alerted but I don't know whether to be pissed you backed 3318ft at speeds more than 15mph or to congratulate you for such an impressive feat. Next time, I'll pay for a tow!"

I once backed close to a mile, pre-telematics. Guy lived about two miles up a narrow dirt road, and did maple syrup. I had all his little syrup jugs, and wanted to get rid of them.

Got about halfway up, and couldn't make a turn because of ice and snow.

Took forever to get down, but like I said, pre-telematics.

Fuzzy Brown

I already asked this in the newbie thread and didn't get any response. Maybe because it's an embarrassing/stupid question, but I want to get better so I don't care.

Does anyone have any tips for backing, especially in a crowded center? I *really* suck at this, probably because I never even back my personal car, although I've started to do that for practice, and I never got any training on it. Easily the most stressful part of my day.

Any help appreciated, both by me and all the drivers stuck behind me. Thanks
It just takes practice don’t back unless you’re 100% comfortable screw the people behind you take all the time you need.

SmithBarney

Use your mirrors
and your camera... First time moving a package car on reload, I was being super careful, checking mirrors, bay door clear on left, clear on right... then BAM... hit the yellow post square in the middle of the bumper...
didn't realize I was between two doors and my manager was standing right there, he had a good laugh since I was going so slow there was no damage, still went on to driving 4 mo later...

Rack em

Made the Podium
Also remember they want you under 3.9mph when backing. So whenever you get the chance, try and get in the double digits so you show up on a district wide report :)

Mo19072

If you have to park between two cars and another car is on the opposite side, do a driver side back. Set your car at about 30 degree angle where you can see the right tip of the bumper of the car to your left. Start backing while you’re a foot away from the above said bumper. When your left rear wheel is at the same level with it cut your steering wheel all the way to the left while you’re watching your rear view monitor. When the rear right tip of your truck is close to the truck on your right, move forward while cutting it to the right. Reverse again to the left until you can see the mirror of the car to your right in your right side mirror. Then do do a straight back. You’ll get it with practice. Remember the backs you do inside the building don’t count toward your allowed backs. So back as many times as you need to get it right.