Tips for New Loader

burrheadd

KING Of GIFS
How do you guys plan to make packages fit? The main problem I had today was that my shelves would fill quick so I would be left with boxes with nowhere to go but on the floor/ outside until I had time to deal with them. Is there an optimal way to load packages so you don't find yourself in this position?

No worries

Just Toss it up in there somewhere

That's what most of the other preloaders do

trig

The best trick I have for loading is that you ALWAYS, ALWAYS load your 5k-8k shelves. Don't stack those out. They're 2 steps inside the car. If you're using the scanners like we have been for a year+ now, scan all the packages if you have to stack then scan your car. For the 1k-4k sections, if you're in a bind, scan them/write number on them if time allows and slide across the floor towards the bulkhead door. This will keep your doorway clear and allow you to come back after and quickly put them on the shelf. If you have to stack out, don't forget that you can use under the belt. Use that area for bulk stops that are blowing out inside the car to keep your path clear. Medium sized boxes go on the shelf with smaller ones on top/behind it. Letters always go between boxes, never behind as they are a b* to find. Overweights stay towards the back of the truck at all costs. Load those in reverse order, with 1k closest to the back door. Utilize your load charts. If you see RDR is clear but you have a big FDR, move it to the back, BUT MAKE SURE TO TALK TO YOUR DRIVER ABOUT DOING SO.

Edit: Also, if you are using the scanners and are right handed, put the scanner on your left hand. It'll save you a few seconds each time you have to write and it stops the awkwardness of holding the marker in a hand that's blocked partially by the scanner. It takes some getting used to to be able to do it this way, but it's so much better.
By "stack out" do you mean putting them outside the truck for later?

Jkloc420

Do you need an air compressor or tire gauge
By "stack out" do you mean putting them outside the truck for later?
only stack out big things that cant go in the car, load everything in that you can, if you dont it is going to be a clusterf at the end. Your new so it is going to take time to figure it out

trig

Generally speaking, how long is the grace period (speed, misloads) for rookie pre-loaders if there actually is any

GenericUsername

I mean by stacking out, leaving packages outside of the car. It's not ideal to do it in any situation, but it's a necessary evil sometimes to prevent boxes from going down the belt to the people behind you. You can only do things so fast, so develop a system for you that works best. The one I described is the one that works best for me. You do you.

trig

a looping belt seems like it would solve the problem of packages getting backed up... this is a world I one day want to live in

GenericUsername

Not sure exactly how that would work in our center. We have the capability of running 150-170 routes, but normally are running between 100-120.

Brownie21

Hello! Let me tell something as well. I'm a small lady, I mean short and not big whatsoever; I've been working as a preloader for more than three years, and I definitely have something to say. Every shift I've got four trucks to load , 1200 pieces or so all together. My drivers respect me , and first of all, ASK yours what they prefer to have on their trucks, each of them. Listen to them carefully, try to do your best. Second, pay a lot of attention to the order of next day air stuff; they don't have too much time to redo your job when they deliver it.
Third, as a rule, shelves up to 5k are occupied with business delivery: bulk stops put on the floor, all packages belonging to the same address together! Light packages and envelops stuck between two boxes belonging the SAME hin number, or in a strict order. RDLs and RDRs can be loaded at the end of the shift.
If you have any questions, please, feel free to ask me