Tips for New Loader

trig

I've been working at UPS for like 2 months as an unloader but today I got moved to loading. They started me off at 3 trucks and we had about 9,500 pieces on the day. By the end of the day I felt completely demoralized... the sups had to help me a few times to clear stacked packages. Not sure if this is normal for people just starting or if I
am uncommonly poor at this.
Anyways, what are some useful tips/practices you guys have picked up to make yourselves more efficient? Also, how much were you guys loading when you first started? Any and all advice is appreciated.

Cheers

MzTeaze

I've been working at UPS for like 2 months as an unloader but today I got moved to loading. They started me off at 3 trucks and we had about 9,500 pieces on the day. By the end of the day I felt completely demoralized... the sups had to help me a few times to clear stacked packages. Not sure if this is normal for people just starting or if I
Anyways, what are some useful tips/practices you guys have picked up to make yourselves more efficient? Also, how much were you guys loading when you first started? Any and all advice is appreciated.

Cheers

You get better over time. Just keep practicing.

Build from left to right, trying to level packages as best you can. Try to put heaviest packages on floor with lightest packages going up the wall. (Ideally)

Pay attention to boxes that are unusually heavy vs size & age of box. Trying to put those up too high in a wall can cause walls to fall.

If you can, save small sort bags for top of walk to fill in gaps.

Use a load stand! Most guys won't even if they are too short. BUT, it can be helpful for heavy packages as it can take some of the pressure off of bending down regularly to pick up passages from rollers.

If you get backed up, take a few seconds to pick off odd ball sized packages (longs & irregs) - scan them and push off rollers to make space. It can help break jams at top.

Cheers

Learn your 5's and 8's if you haven't done so yet and finish DOK.

If you've got that done then learn the methods.

Work at a brisk, safe pace.

If you meet your drivers, ask them what the last loader did right and wrong, and ask them how you can improve your load.

I know I'd have at least 16 drivers upset if I was gone. I moved up a belt and unfortunately drivers can't really request a loader. But I know if I see Tom, John, Eric etc whoever whoever, a look of "thank god" washes over their faces.

When drivers speak well of you, supervisors will back off, but do understand they want you to get better.

Ask your immediate sup for "belt to car methods" and ask if they can demonstrate for you or work with you to improve your load quality.

200 pph is ideal. 150 isn't abnormal..

I guess my only other advice would be keeping your load reports. Those are *your* cars. If other people so much as touch a package for that car you shouldn't be held accountable for misloads.. but keep that in the back of your head for when you make book.. let them think you drank the kool-aid, don't be a bum, and help your drivers and neighbors. Really all there is to it.

Arriving 10 to 15 early to scan send agains, look at load sheets and get a general idea of your bulk. Some drivers want the car by HIN. Some want all bulk in back. Some want it by HIN. Others don't care.

And if you're gonna throw bags or envelopes behind boxes, do it with the label facing forward. A HIN couldn't hurt. If there are a lot in a series drop them off the lip so they don't go flying all willy nilly.

Never load 40 lbs or higher on a shelf. If it's 39 you're good to go. Make sure to use the box as a fulcrum, that is, let it touch the lip then push it forward and up. No sense using end range shoulder motions and deadlifting and dropping it. Use existing facilities to assist in lifting and lowering. Let the belt do the work. Don't walk it and hurt your rotator cuff trying to push 70 pounds of boxes up or down the belt. Always use a box as a marker. Like crushed Amazon box with new tape is where I last left off; that will save you tons of time rereading the HINs. If you get flybys, maybe rereading them all for awhile might help but it'll slow you down.

If your misloads are up there, and you have cars Alpha Bravo Charlie, then write A4654, B5570, C2232. See it say it write it load it.

Last edited:
METHODS TO BE DEMONSTRATED

1. Work at the front/head of your work area.
2. Cover your entire work area.
3. Work in the direction of the flow of oncoming packages.
4. (Splitters): Face all labels and split packages in at least two lines.
5. Read every label for load ID.
6. Write HIN or sequence number on shelf package at earliest opportunity.
7. Build optimum carries (i.e., always walk into a car with a purpose).
8. Make trips to the car from the closest point on the belt (let the belt work for you).
9. Visually identify or mark the next package up the belt to load packages (careful stuff like this can mess up people down the line. I don't even like anyone writing on my load sheet let alone my boxes).
10. Help your neighbor.
11. Handle packages with care.

If you learn these and know these, it'll hopefully send the signal to supervisors that you actually give a darn, and you're actively improving your job via personal study time.

Wally

BrownCafe Innovator & King of Puns

Cheers
What the heck? Where is the union? All these newbies are so worried about how much work they are doing?

We get paid by the hour. You work hard, real hard, and if you ask me, you should be earning a lot more for that work.

Do your best and give a fairs day work. Don't worry about anything else.

trig

What the heck? Where is the union? All these newbies are so worried about how much work they are doing?

We get paid by the hour. You work hard, real hard, and if you ask me, you should be earning a lot more for that work.

Do your best and give a fairs day work. Don't worry about anything else.
Thanks for the reply.

trig

Learn your 5's and 8's if you haven't done so yet and finish DOK.

If you've got that done then learn the methods.

Work at a brisk, safe pace.

If you meet your drivers, ask them what the last loader did right and wrong, and ask them how you can improve your load.

I know I'd have at least 16 drivers upset if I was gone. I moved up a belt and unfortunately drivers can't really request a loader. But I know if I see Tom, John, Eric etc whoever whoever, a look of "thank god" washes over their faces.

When drivers speak well of you, supervisors will back off, but do understand they want you to get better.

Ask your immediate sup for "belt to car methods" and ask if they can demonstrate for you or work with you to improve your load quality.

200 pph is ideal. 150 isn't abnormal..

I guess my only other advice would be keeping your load reports. Those are *your* cars. If other people so much as touch a package for that car you shouldn't be held accountable for misloads.. but keep that in the back of your head for when you make book.. let them think you drank the kool-aid, don't be a bum, and help your drivers and neighbors. Really all there is to it.

Arriving 10 to 15 early to scan send agains, look at load sheets and get a general idea of your bulk. Some drivers want the car by HIN. Some want all bulk in back. Some want it by HIN. Others don't care.

And if you're gonna throw bags or envelopes behind boxes, do it with the label facing forward. A HIN couldn't hurt. If there are a lot in a series drop them off the lip so they don't go flying all willy nilly.

Never load 40 lbs or higher on a shelf. If it's 39 you're good to go. Make sure to use the box as a fulcrum, that is, let it touch the lip then push it forward and up. No sense using end range shoulder motions and deadlifting and dropping it. Use existing facilities to assist in lifting and lowering. Let the belt do the work. Don't walk it and hurt your rotator cuff trying to push 70 pounds of boxes up or down the belt. Always use a box as a marker. Like crushed Amazon box with new tape is where I last left off; that will save you tons of time rereading the HINs. If you get flybys, maybe rereading them all for awhile might help but it'll slow you down.

If your misloads are up there, and you have cars Alpha Bravo Charlie, then write A4654, B5570, C2232. See it say it write it load it.
Thanks man.

trig

You get better over time. Just keep practicing.

Build from left to right, trying to level packages as best you can. Try to put heaviest packages on floor with lightest packages going up the wall. (Ideally)

Pay attention to boxes that are unusually heavy vs size & age of box. Trying to put those up too high in a wall can cause walls to fall.

If you can, save small sort bags for top of walk to fill in gaps.

Use a load stand! Most guys won't even if they are too short. BUT, it can be helpful for heavy packages as it can take some of the pressure off of bending down regularly to pick up passages from rollers.

If you get backed up, take a few seconds to pick off odd ball sized packages (longs & irregs) - scan them and push off rollers to make space. It can help break jams at top.
I seem to have omitted the fact that I load package cars and not trailers. Appreciate the response though!

Jkloc420

Do you need an air compressor or tire gauge

Cheers
are you using scanners

trig

How do you guys plan to make packages fit? The main problem I had today was that my shelves would fill quick so I would be left with boxes with nowhere to go but on the floor/ outside until I had time to deal with them. Is there an optimal way to load packages so you don't find yourself in this position?

Jkloc420

Do you need an air compressor or tire gauge
How do you guys plan to make packages fit? The main problem I had today was that my shelves would fill quick so I would be left with boxes with nowhere to go but on the floor/ outside until I had time to deal with them. Is there an optimal way to load packages so you don't find yourself in this position?
you drop packages that are huge or bulk out

TearsInRain

IE boogeyman

big stuff on the floor, middling stuff on the shelf, small stuff behind the middling stuff

once you know your pull better, you can snake the load from one shelf to another to balance them, although you must communicate to the driver if you do this

if your pull gets super tight anyways, brick-pack the back shelves to give your front shelves a chance at a stop-for-stop order

most importantly have the attitude that the drivers, not your supervisor, are the customers

GenericUsername

The best trick I have for loading is that you ALWAYS, ALWAYS load your 5k-8k shelves. Don't stack those out. They're 2 steps inside the car. If you're using the scanners like we have been for a year+ now, scan all the packages if you have to stack then scan your car. For the 1k-4k sections, if you're in a bind, scan them/write number on them if time allows and slide across the floor towards the bulkhead door. This will keep your doorway clear and allow you to come back after and quickly put them on the shelf. If you have to stack out, don't forget that you can use under the belt. Use that area for bulk stops that are blowing out inside the car to keep your path clear. Medium sized boxes go on the shelf with smaller ones on top/behind it. Letters always go between boxes, never behind as they are a b* to find. Overweights stay towards the back of the truck at all costs. Load those in reverse order, with 1k closest to the back door. Utilize your load charts. If you see RDR is clear but you have a big FDR, move it to the back, BUT MAKE SURE TO TALK TO YOUR DRIVER ABOUT DOING SO.

Edit: Also, if you are using the scanners and are right handed, put the scanner on your left hand. It'll save you a few seconds each time you have to write and it stops the awkwardness of holding the marker in a hand that's blocked partially by the scanner. It takes some getting used to to be able to do it this way, but it's so much better.