Tips for Panel (as on topic as possible)

Wally

BrownCafe Innovator & King of Puns
You really are out of touch aren’t you
images-8.jpg

PACNW

You don't have to beg for your job, but you must be humble and show some remorse for your mistake. Know a 20 year guy who had his termination upheld because his pride got in the way. Half ass admitted he shouldn't have done what he did, but continued to try to justify why he did it all the way to the end (against the advice of his representation). Ultimately UPS felt so strongly that he shouldn't come back, because he wouldn't take full responsibility, that they were willing to give 2 other guys who had worse offenses, but were remorseful, (also had good reputations and records) their jobs back in trade for his termination to be upheld.

MC4YOU2

Wherever I see Trump, it smells like he's Putin.
The panel has 3 union members and 3 company members who will decide the fate of your "friend" haha.

On a serious note, he can only win by convincing at least one company panel member, along with all three union panel members.

He can also only lose if he fails to convince at least one union member along with all three company members on the merits of his case.

If terminations are being upheld, it's because the union is voting with the company, not because they're weak. It's 3 to 3, so it's anyone's game to win or lose.

It's always possible to have a different combo of 4 or 5 votes (or even unanimous) of a different mix than I listed above, but if he can't even convince one of the 3 union members, there's something very wrong with his case.

I will add that it's become a tactic of the company to deadlock even sensible cases to force them into arbitration, in an effort to exact extra punishment on an employee they don't have a lot of love for.

If that's the case, it can mean many months of being off while you wait.

MC4YOU2

Wherever I see Trump, it smells like he's Putin.
Seems like a good idea. Do they always
finalize everything there or do they sometimes refer it to National?

Dracula

Package Car is cake compared to this...
Hope you buddy has decent representation. Unfortunately, going to the panel is like betting it all on red or black.

john chesney

A buddy of mine has a hearing at panel in a short while. He's heard all sorts of advice, some that seems sound, some that seems insane. I've never been, but was looking for advice from any who have gone and won and why do you think you won? I can't get into specifics of the firing, just an FYI.
I know you don’t want to say what happened and I can’t blame you on here but it’s a hard question to answer with no idea what’s going on. Some cases are pure mercy with an apology and humility. Years of service and past troubles play a part.If you want to pm facts I can tell you what I think

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

I know you don’t want to say what happened and I can’t blame you on here but it’s a hard question to answer with no idea what’s going on. Some cases are pure mercy with an apology and humility. Years of service and past troubles play a part.If you want to pm facts I can tell you what I think

Knowing what he did is only part of it------you would need to know what kind of employee he was in order to offer informed advice on how to proceed at the panel hearing.

LeadBelly

Banned
A buddy of mine has a hearing at panel in a short while. He's heard all sorts of advice, some that seems sound, some that seems insane. I've never been, but was looking for advice from any who have gone and won and why do you think you won? I can't get into specifics of the firing, just an FYI.
Stick to the story that he gave at the local level hearing. Be ready to answer the same question asked up to 10 differently presented ways. They try and catch you in lies. Dress professionally and shave. Be remorseful and take ownership in what has transpired. Tell them what your job means to you, the people who count on you, kids, family, customers, and company. Your most important thing is to get back in that door. You can regroup and turn the tables at a later date. You can call me if you need to talk.