tnt question??

Coldworld

60 months and counting
has anyone heard if ups was interested in purchasing tnt? Looks like fedex is interested...and market value is somewhere in the 10 billion+ range...ok hows that going to happen...more debt?? How many on here think that if fedex purchases tnt that ups will be looking at dhl from deutsche post sometime in the near future??? I think the "partnership" is just the first step to full ownership, plus DP has made it clear they want to dump dhl.

Mike Hawk

If UPS purchased another delivery company they would get a whole extra package delivery network, something we already have. The extra buildings and trucks would have to be sold or scrapped in most areas that already have a network capable of delivering the extra volume. Some building that already run at max capacity would have to be expanded to take the new volume plus peak volume. It is not as simple as buying another company and instantly making more profit.

BLACKBOX

Life is a Highway...
I think the "partnership" is just the first step to full ownership, plus DP has made it clear they want to dump dhl.

Yes thus rumor has again reared its ugly head. But this time Fedex may just pull it off. I read they were some issues concerning this purchase which had something to do with the Dutch ownership which I believe has been settled clearing the way for FDX to buy TNT (Which just on speculation drove TNT's stock up). I am totally amazed at FDX's moves to keep up with UPS (i.e....Kinko's, Ground Delivery's and now trying to counter with TNT to offset our alliance with DHL).

I don't agree with you about DP wanting to dump DHL. DHL Intl is so well established (and making money) why would you want to part ways?

IMO FDX and TNT make a good fit. UPS and DHL are two powerhouses that has one trying to possibly control the other. I just don't see UPS taking over anything from DHL until they see how this domestic partnership works out.

I am totally interested on how this will play out for both companies.

mattwtrs

Retired Senior Member
Where does FDX get all the money from to keep buying other companies? I always heard they don't have the working capital that UPS does. Can some bean counter explain please?

BrownSuit

I am totally amazed at FDX's moves to keep up with UPS (i.e....Kinko's, Ground Delivery's and now trying to counter with TNT to offset our alliance with DHL).

IMO FDX and TNT make a good fit. UPS and DHL are two powerhouses that has one trying to possibly control the other. I just don't see UPS taking over anything from DHL until they see how this domestic partnership works out.

I'm not sure what newspaper that your reading, but there is no Alliance or Partnership between UPS and Dutch Post ala DHL.

UPS has agreed to provide services to DHL similar to those that we provide millions of other customers each day.

Anybody who thinks UPS will buy DHL is sorely mistaken. I've outlined these reasons in other threads. It's a bad move all around.

Keep the sales leads coming guys and DHL will be history before you know it.

MrFedEx

Engorged Member
FedEx is very interested in TNT because domestic Express volume has slipped to 1998 levels and they are looking for business in other parts of the world, particularly Europe. TNT has a long-established and successful European operation, so the winning bidder will be paying a premium price for the company. As usual, we are being told that we are ready to go under at any second, NOT that FedEx has plenty of money to go shopping for another company to buy.

moreluck

golden ticket member
from Ask.com............

Holland and the Netherlands are not two names for the same country, but rather that Holland is the former name for part of it.

Holland is the name of a Dutch province. The Netherlands is the name of the country. It would be as if most of the world used "California", and "the United States of America" interchangeably .

Official country name: Kingdom of the Netherlands.
Holland was the name of the most important province of the Netherlands and originally meant 'Woodland', because of the heavy forested area. Nowadays people use Holland and The Netherlands interchangebly

Coldworld

60 months and counting
I'm not sure what newspaper that your reading, but there is no Alliance or Partnership between UPS and Dutch Post ala DHL.

UPS has agreed to provide services to DHL similar to those that we provide millions of other customers each day.

Anybody who thinks UPS will buy DHL is sorely mistaken. I've outlined these reasons in other threads. It's a bad move all around.

Keep the sales leads coming guys and DHL will be history before you know it.

true, but dhl isnt the one we should be worried about. fedex keeps on pulling cash(or credit) out of their ass and it seems as if many of these gambles are paying off. But dhl isnt going out without a fight, mgt thinks they are going to be history in a 10 year period, but thats not going to happen. They will still be around, I really hope not, but they probably will. Fedex will buy them too.

feeder53

ADKtrails
My second Teamster job was with TNT Red Star. They were all right to work for if you like road work. They went out of business here in upstate NY and now I see TNT Holland trucks, but very few. TNT had some good accounts so it would probably be a good move.

Leftinbuilding

Can you tell me where you saw this article I would like to read it.Thank you.

It was on UPSers.com earlier in the week. Click on "UPS in the news". The headline mentions only Fedex but talks about UPS in the article. Don't know if it is still up, or if they archive their articles.

dutchups

Hello Captain America; Browniehound and Moreluck.
Nowadays TNT is Dutch, DHL is German. Germany = Bundesrepubliek, Holland = the Netherlands.
We do have two provinces (Zuid- and Noord Holland) [South and North], but Holland and the Netherlands are two names for the same country as you stated.
The only remark that is new to me is the Woodland-part.

When confused, just ask a regular "cheesehead" from the Netherlands / Holland :-)

Regards

browniehound

When confused, just ask a regular "cheesehead" from the Netherlands / Holland :-)

Regards

You have "Cheeseheads" in Holland, Dutch? Thats funny, because we have "Cheeseheads" here in the states! They are Green Bay Packers football fans and they where this BIG, YELLOW, STIROFOAM, wedge on their head that is supposed to resemble a wedge of cheese.

To me, they look like idiots. That is my opinion, but I'm from Boston and I'm sure they have their own opinion about me :happy2:!