To all Sorters / Pick-offs.. What does your flow look like everyday?

UnconTROLLed

perfection
the flow has been pretty decent in CHEMMA... same ridiculous management ideals: push the flow out as hard as you can, get everyone off the clock as soon as you can, and run with as few people as possible.Mostly the end result is the packages getting crumpled that go down the ride (pickoff lingo for the load at the end of the belt) due to the sheer volume of packages in the limited amount of time. Almost ridiculous, some nights it looks like peak. The thing that really bugs me is that UPS doesn't realize that now during the recession and all if we go and mess up peoples packages, they;re gonna ship other ways. And when people start buying stuff again and companies buy stuff, they're not gonna use the company that destroyed their stuff. During a recession, customer retention should be the one of the companies biggest priorities.

What shift do you work at CHEMA? I work twi-mid. The volume has been awful. Sending people home.

Now the flow- that is a different ballgame. The problem is they're still using brute force to get part-timers out in under 3.5. That is where I can see what you're saying. The actual #s are very low, but it's the same tactics - run 35 unload doors , crunch the 120,000 out in 3 hours, some nights have nothing left at break in 2 hours! Both shifts!

And holy smokes - the cali last night - PD-10 just got destroyed. Worse than peak!

upser_J

What shift do you work at CHEMA? I work twi-mid. The volume has been awful. Sending people home.

Now the flow- that is a different ballgame. The problem is they're still using brute force to get part-timers out in under 3.5. That is where I can see what you're saying. The actual #s are very low, but it's the same tactics - run 35 unload doors , crunch the 120,000 out in 3 hours, some nights have nothing left at break in 2 hours! Both shifts!

And holy smokes - the cali last night - PD-10 just got destroyed. Worse than peak!
i think if you compare it to last year, volume has been steady (possibly due to llbean) I remember years when every night you heard the supervisors asking if people wanted to go home between january and end of may, not uncommon. What I was saying about the volume was the way it is being flowed, its peak flow, except its only for like 2.5 to 3 hours now, instead of 4 or 5!

and
pd-10---thats due to bad management not utilizing pd-11

trenjct

The fastest I've ever seen our PT supes/babysitters move is when the belt stops. They kind of remind me of a hamster in a wheel. If we have to RUN to keep up with the new, improved numbers, then I think it is only fair to share the new, improved 'red button cardio' workout with them.

bsbmc

bg, kentucky here and yes our flow has been thru the roof the last two months, or since the big push on production.. management don't understand that its harder on us loaders when you cut a bunch of areas and then throw all that extra work on all the exsisting routes... its been very insane...

upser_J

makes you kind of wish for peak, cuz at least then there's a good reason for the belts to be trashed. Right now, definitely unnecessary!

upser_J

The fastest I've ever seen our PT supes/babysitters move is when the belt stops. They kind of remind me of a hamster in a wheel. If we have to RUN to keep up with the new, improved numbers, then I think it is only fair to share the new, improved 'red button cardio' workout with them.
haha shut the belt off and yell out "LEAKER!!!!" if you wanna see a supervisor really run!

UnconTROLLed

perfection
hahaha! volume wise definitely not bad at all. bug wise, man! never seen it so bad, was busier dodging kamikaze moths than actually working!:crazy:

The bugs are pretty bad, esp since CHEMA is in a low lying swamp pit. Nothing compared to Norwood MA 0203 though. the neponset river is right there and the airport, there was epic mosquito outbreak in 2004 or 2005 that would have made you quiver. Nevermind all the other bugs. Looked like a trip to Alaska like you see on National Geographic in the summer :devil3:...I remember it was like 90 degrees and wearing long pants/shirts because there were literally millions of mosquitos .

things2auction

haha shut the belt off and yell out "LEAKER!!!!" if you wanna see a supervisor really run!

lol... thats a good one.

We have had a lot of people shutting the belt off anonymously lately (ie hit the stop, then reset right after).

Another good one is people shutting off the belt for packages that have a little bit of rain water on them. Its a LEAKER!!!

MonavieLeaker

Bringin Teh_Lulz
Jax hub picked up 12k from Orlando Twilight shutting down....Last year and a half the trend seems to be push the flow out during the first hour of the sort and the last 20 minutes of the sort

trenjct

Actually, that's when they stuff their hands in their pockets and look goofy in my direction. I'm the responder also. Besides, can't let a little safety stand in the way of production.

upser_J

Actually, that's when they stuff their hands in their pockets and look goofy in my direction. I'm the responder also. Besides, can't let a little safety stand in the way of production.
true, I recall a few times when I've yelled out leaker and the supervisor just stood there with a dumb look on his face!

iowa boy

Does he have a dumb look on his face when you do not yell out?

Not only do ours have this look all the time, they will also tilt their heads sideways like a dog does when it doesn't understand what you are doing. It's a classic moment when that happens, as all you can do is laugh.

upser_J

Not only do ours have this look all the time, they will also tilt their heads sideways like a dog does when it doesn't understand what you are doing. It's a classic moment when that happens, as all you can do is laugh.
YESSSS!!!!! exactly... this must be standard UPS protocol or something

Solidarity413

Hahaha!! Ours do it too! Oh man, that's great!