To keep your lunchbox cold

yeldarb

I have a insulated cooler for my lunch and stuff, and try to keep it cold with a frozen solid 32 oz gatorade bottle...The ice is completely melted by the end of the day, and the cooler is pretty close to truck temperature. Is there something I can buy or use that will stay cold for longer and not melt?

Harry Manback

Robot Extraordinaire
I use four of those Blue Ice bricks and they usually last all day. You can find em in the camping section at (gasp) Wal Mart. I've also found keeping my cooler in the second shelf, 2000 or 4000 works best to keep it colder.

BrownArmy

Cardboard is an excellent insulator...if you stack boxes around your cooler on the shelf it will stay colder longer...

Block and brace, baby!

jaker

trolling
If you are using a bag cooler those suck bad , get a hard plastic one for ice I put Tupperware containers in the freezer for ice blocks

8Years2Go

On the way out of the building each night I pack my cooler with ice and when I get home I put my 4 bottles of water and 2 pops in it. Then on the way into the building the next morning I dump out the water and refill it with ice when I get in the bldg. That way the ice keeps it cold versus getting it cold and will last hours longer.

OVERBOARD

Don't believe everything you think
If you dont mind getting a warning letter for in cab distraction, keep your cooler up front in the cab on the really hot days. Thats what I do but I cannot assume any responsibility or liability for any injuries or losses that you may incur as a result of acting upon my advice. Do so at your own risk, you have been warned. :happy-very:

Catatonic

Nine Lives
If you dont mind getting a warning letter for in cab distraction, keep your cooler up front in the cab on the really hot days. Thats what I do but I cannot assume any responsibility or liability for any injuries or losses that you may incur as a result of acting upon my advice. Do so at your own risk, you have been warned. :happy-very:

That advice is going a bit overboard.

rod

Retired 22 years
I always found that stopping at a air-conditioned resturant in the summer (or even a fast food joint) was a sure fire way to enjoy a meal that was just right temperature wise. I can't remember packing a lunch once in 30 years.

barnyard

KTM rider
My daughter gave me a new Igloo for Christmas a couple of years ago. The lid is insulated a bit better and things stay colder, longer. I have 4-1 quart bottles that I half fill and then freeze. In the morning, I add water. I usually also bring 1or 2 quarts of gatorade. I drink a bottle of water, there is usually a good-sized chunk of ice left, so I pour in a bottle of gatorade. If I have not drank all the water, there is usually still ice in the last one when I get home.

If you have room in a fridge or freezer for your cooler, that does help more than a person would think.

bigbrownhen

I just switched to an igloo brand plastic cooler from one of the cloth one. Try to put cold drinks in it first instead of room temp. If you want to keep the cloth one, try putting a towel over it. Most of us carry one in the truck this time of year.