To the yes voters.

From what I understand, a lot of the "yes" voters or full-timers already have the "garbage insurance". They're not under our UPS plan insurance. To be fair, I haven't heard them complain saying that we have better insurance as part-timers.

I voted NO because I'd like UPS to stay in charge of my insurance.

I don't think UPS wants to be in the insurance business so be prepared for some sort of Teamcare plan. I hope it works out.

grgrcr88

No It's not green grocer!
We will not go on strike

UPS doesn't want one and neither do the Teamsters

We will continue working after August 1st and any raises in any contract we sign would be paid retroactively

​(JUST MY OPINION)

Are you willing to take the chance?

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

Are you willing to take the chance?

Yes---it would be the lesser of two evils.

A strike would not turn out very well for the Teamsters. UPS has been working hard to ensure that there won't be a repeat of 1997. With the technology we have it would not be very hard to replace all of us.

If by chance the contract does get voted down I see us working past the deadline under the existing contract until the TA can be "tweaked". UPS will not take the healthcare back but will instead offer a small signing bonus to sweeten the pot.

This is not 1997. There would be zero public support for a strike.

slantnosechevy

There would be if the IBT had the brains to make the issue health carer and just drive that home.

As long as UPS is public they're more scared of share holders and the rest of Wall Street than the Teamsters. Wall Street hates a company that pays union wages, benefits, and turns a very respectable profit in a recession. If they would've used this kind of pressure for the good of the country, things like gas and health care wouldn't be so out of control. Greed created the mess we're in today and the suits on Wall St. who caused it are walking around as free men and called good businessmen by their peers.

Last edited:

upsset

What we have here is yet another example of people creating their own facts to try to sway others to your point of view. Claiming that these locals are a landslide no vote is pure fantasy. No one will know how the vote goes until the actual ballots are counted. So stop the bulls..t!!! I support this contract and I am a member of one of these locals and the majority of the people I talk to are claiming to be yes votes, but, we won't know until the votes are counted.
n

upswife75

There would be if the IBT had the brains to make the issue health carer and just drive that home.

No way there is going to be public support for a group of people making the kind of wage UPSers make, just because they may pay a few dollars more for insurance. Sorry, not going to happen. Even in the CS plan, we have way better coverage than a good majority of the public, so why would they support a strike based on that?

over9five

Staff member
Who cares if we have the support of the public or not?
If they want superior pay and benefits, they should join and support unions!

oldupsman

No way there is going to be public support for a group of people making the kind of wage UPSers make, just because they may pay a few dollars more for insurance. Sorry, not going to happen. Even in the CS plan, we have way better coverage than a good majority of the public, so why would they support a strike based on that?

You should consider a career as a stand up comedian...

I simply disagree. Health care is an issue that affects every working American family. And seeing a very profitable company reducing benefits to approx
40% of it's work force would connect with the public. Not to mention the fact that those with Teamster plans would also have their benefits increased.
Again, I'll repeat. Just because you have better coverage than most other people doesn't make it alright for UPS to cut benefits to some and not
increase it for others. Not when they're profitable.

upswife75

I simply disagree. Health care is an issue that affects every working American family. And seeing a very profitable company reducing benefits to approx
40% of it's work force would connect with the public. Not to mention the fact that those with Teamster plans would also have their benefits increased.
Again, I'll repeat. Just because you have better coverage than most other people doesn't make it alright for UPS to cut benefits to some and not

Sorry, but anyone I have spoken to about it who doesn't work for UPS thinks people complaining are crazy, especially when they don't get anywhere near the same benefits. It isn't a matter of whether it's right or wrong for UPS to do. That doesn't mean there will be support from the public, period. When the majority of those people aren't getting anywhere close to those benefits AND are making way less per hour, you just aren't going to have the sympathy/support of the public, especially when many of them are losing their company health care altogether, due to ACA. Plain and simple.

oldupsman

Sorry, but anyone I have spoken to about it who doesn't work for UPS thinks people complaining are crazy, especially when they don't get anywhere near the same benefits. It isn't a matter of whether it's right or wrong for UPS to do. That doesn't mean there will be support from the public, period. When the majority of those people aren't getting anywhere close to those benefits AND are making way less per hour, you just aren't going to have the sympathy/support of the public, especially when many of them are losing their company health care altogether, due to ACA. Plain and simple.

Well, like I said, we disagree. And I've spoken to people who think it's wrong for us to take reduced benefits when the company is doing well.

Brownslave688

You want a toe? I can get you a toe.

DOES THE GENERAL PUBLIC WORK FOR UPS? NO!!! So who cares? I can't tell u how many times I've heard a driver say well my neighbor pays x amount. I don't care what Johnny next door does.

If my pay and benefits continue to be cut or if we lose enough volume I'm laid off its simple for me. Ill become a lineman, prison guard, heavy machinery operator, work the coal mine, power plant, railroad..... The list goes on. All similar pay with similar benefits.

Everyone makes their own bed as far as a career goes. I won't let mine be sabotaged because someone else is to lazy or scared to make a good life for themselves.

upswife75

I didn't say the general public matters. Someone said they would support a strike, I simply said they won't. Not whether it would matter if they don't, though I personally think it does matter if they decide to collectively take their business elsewhere. Speaking on a personal level, my place of employment ships only through USPS and UPS. If UPS strikes, my boss will have no choice but to switch to FedEx. Chances are, she wouldn't switch back once a strike was over. That is lost business for UPS and in the long run, can hurt employees, so public support does matter, and I just don't think they will be behind a strike. That's all I'm saying. Glad you have plenty of places to fall back on, as does our family. There are many who don't, who would be hurt by a strike. If you are going to strike over a $400 deductible, you might want to do the math first. You lose way more by not working and getting a paycheck for a few weeks than by paying a small deductible.