To the yes voters.

Sorry, but anyone I have spoken to about it who doesn't work for UPS thinks people complaining are crazy, especially when they don't get anywhere near the same benefits. It isn't a matter of whether it's right or wrong for UPS to do. That doesn't mean there will be support from the public, period. When the majority of those people aren't getting anywhere close to those benefits AND are making way less per hour, you just aren't going to have the sympathy/support of the public, especially when many of them are losing their company health care altogether, due to ACA. Plain and simple.
Do they work as hard as we do? Do they put up with the sheet we do? Did they sit on the front lines and pick it like we did? Didn't think so.

I didn't say the general public matters. Someone said they would support a strike, I simply said they won't. Not whether it would matter if they don't, though I personally think it does matter if they decide to collectively take their business elsewhere. Speaking on a personal level, my place of employment ships only through USPS and UPS. If UPS strikes, my boss will have no choice but to switch to FedEx. Chances are, she wouldn't switch back once a strike was over. That is lost business for UPS and in the long run, can hurt employees, so public support does matter, and I just don't think they will be behind a strike. That's all I'm saying. Glad you have plenty of places to fall back on, as does our family. There are many who don't, who would be hurt by a strike. If you are going to strike over a $400 deductible, you might want to do the math first. You lose way more by not working and getting a paycheck for a few weeks than by paying a small deductible.
Say that now. When the healthcare goes bankrupt and starts taping into pension contributions. $400 will be the least of our problems.

Some people think we are making too much money too. Courage and balls? Or insanity in today's society? People went nuts when teachers went on strike. Look at what's happening now? Cleaning house for the wrong reason.look around at these right to work states. UPS might love a strike.
If that's what is really happen. Ups will let the investors break the company down. This is on of the reasons that Jim Casey let the union in. He knew that the company name would go under by week employees and management harassment. This type of crap kills company's. I'm not saying to go on strike on every contract. But we shouldn't take first offer either.

upswife75

Do they work as hard as we do? Do they put up with the sheet we do? Did they sit on the front lines and pick it like we did? Didn't think so.

Some of them may well work as hard. Seriously, why do you guys think that you are the ONLY ones in the working world that work hard? Yes, you work hard, so do other people. Some in similar physical ways, some in a more mental capacity. Last I checked, sweating while working didn't make you superior to everyone else. As for picketing, no idea since I don't know many union people in my right to work state.

upswife75

Say that now. When the healthcare goes bankrupt and starts taping into pension contributions. $400 will be the least of our problems.

I have the financial report from CS around here somewhere that shows their numbers, which they sent out to all members a few months ago. They are quite in the black.

BrownBrokeDown

Listen, even if the TA doesn't pass (and I voted no, this thing needs punted into the sewers) we are not going to strike and the healthcare in the TA will still be there in the next TA. Honestly, this proposed healthcare, while substantially inferior to what I have now, is pretty good compared with the rest of corporate america. All of the US's healthcare has either a.) became worse, b.)became more expensive, or c.)both in the last 6 years or so.

Also, we will not strike because no matter how much certain people scream it, unfortunately Hoffa Jr. is not OG. It is not inherited. And actually in some cases that is a bad thing. What Hoffa Jr. is, is a businessman. This contract reeks of a vendor, if you will, selling a service to customer for years that has been underbid and must make some concessions to keep the business. My grandfather was a 30 year teamster from the 50's into the early 80's and the leaders in those days (even if they were crooks) would not have accepted this contract. They wouldn't have cared about public perception, and we would be coming out with a contract at least equal to the previous one. However, times do change and today's economy is not the same as it was then.

Am I happy about the healthcare...not really. I have a family of 5 and my wife had 2 surgeries and 6 weeks of chemo and radiation last year for cancer under the current UPS healthcare and trust me, the new one would have cost me a significant (to me) amount more. /raises beer...Here's to they will not screw me on the Driver class and TCD this time around, I know their game now.

What people should be more concerned about, because this can be changed is the following:
1.)retiree healthcare costs. What should be done is current retirees should have their cost frozen, and future retirees can pay the higher amount. not great but much more than that and an in the black healthcare could wind up in the red.
2.)driver progression. yeah a initial raise but you take away some of the raises and add a 4th year of progression. Get rid of the 4th year, or bump starting pay to at least $20/hr
3.)part time pay. yeah a raise of $1.50, but they take away the $1 90-day raise, in progression pt'ers get the gwi (do we still get progression raise? not even my ba could answer that one), and out of progression get nothing. Needs either bumped another dollar or 90 day needs to come back. also in progression should get bigger bump and out of progression should get something.

Last edited:

BrownBrokeDown

Also, the in-fighting needs to stop about which way people voted. No matter how much people firmly believe in which way they voted, it does not excuse the internet bully mentality. Really, it's kind of pathetic. We are teamsters. UPS is the only one to benefit from this sort of dissension.

Last edited:

over9five

Staff member
Also, the in-fighting needs to stop about which way people voted. No matter how much people firmly believe in which way they voted, it does not excuse the internet bully mentality. Really, it's kind of pathetic. We are teamsters. UPS is the only one to benefit from this sort of dissension.
The problem is we are not true Teamsters. If we were, this contract wouldn't even be up for a vote. If we were a brotherhood, we wouldn't even consider letting some of our brothers get screwed.
What you are witnessing, is the fall of the Teamsters Brotherhood. Good Teamsters have been replaced with Me-sters, and they now outnumber us. There are some on this site who will tell you straight out, "It's all about me".
​This contract will pass, and it's all downhill from here.

BrownBrokeDown

I personally believe that a lot of the "Me-sters" mentality can be layed at the feet of Supplements and Ryders. What is in the National contract should be the National contract for everyone. When areas get better or worse benefits/pensions/pay it causes them to sway their vote on the National contract according to how they feel on their local contract. In essence for some, the National doesn't mean :censored2: as long as their local benefits them. As well as the appearance that their vote is being bought by a superior local contract.

And yes, I am calling it a local contract for a reason.

Last edited:

Coldworld

60 months and counting
If that's what is really happen. Ups will let the investors break the company down. This is on of the reasons that Jim Casey let the union in. He knew that the company name would go under by week employees and management harassment. This type of crap kills company's. I'm not saying to go on strike on every contract. But we shouldn't take first offer either.

I'm not too sure that those were the reasons that the teamsters were "invited" into ups...

oldupsman

The problem is we are not true Teamsters. If we were, this contract wouldn't even be up for a vote. If we were a brotherhood, we wouldn't even consider letting some of our brothers get screwed.
What you are witnessing, is the fall of the Teamsters Brotherhood. Good Teamsters have been replaced with Me-sters, and they now outnumber us. There are some on this site who will tell you straight out, "It's all about me".
​This contract will pass, and it's all downhill from here.

It's not just the Teamsters either. It's unionism in general. Nobody will draw a line in the sand. 50 years from now unions will no longer be around.
There might be little pockets here and there but it's all over. 4 year progression? Taking away people's health care? We would have laughed at this offer 20 years ago.
UPS wouldn't have even brought something this silly to the table.

balland chain

It's not just the Teamsters either. It's unionism in general. Nobody will draw a line in the sand. 50 years from now unions will no longer be around.
There might be little pockets here and there but it's all over. 4 year progression? Taking away people's health care? We would have laughed at this offer 20 years ago.
UPS wouldn't have even brought something this silly to the table.

You are so right.. I just wish these young kids would get the big picture and not worry about making their mortgage payment or car payment. My gosh, we all have known this is a contract year for at least one year and everybody has had time to stash some cash.. Settling for first offer is pathetic and does show exactly what you are speaking of, the weakness and eventual fall of the Teamster Union within UPS..

Catatonic

Nine Lives
This is one of the reasons that Jim Casey let the union in. He knew that the company name would go under by week employees and management harassment.

I'm not too sure that those were the reasons that the teamsters were "invited" into ups...

LOL ... I'm sure those reasons had nothing to do with it.

I was like WTF and just laughed until I saw your post.
I have to back you up on that one.

BrownBrokeDown

One of the biggest advantages that unions used to have was not a strike, but the threat of a strike. The employer knowing they had to make an effort or there could be a walk out. Unfortunately, it is well known that there is no threat. The highest levels of the union, and in my estimation, 50% of the unionized workers would not support nor endorse it. The deathknell to the threat of a strike, was Reagan forcing the airlines back to work in the 80's, followed by the economic disasters of the last 15 years through different industries.

Some of them may well work as hard. Seriously, why do you guys think that you are the ONLY ones in the working world that work hard? Yes, you work hard, so do other people. Some in similar physical ways, some in a more mental capacity. Last I checked, sweating while working didn't make you superior to everyone else. As for picketing, no idea since I don't know many union people in my right to work state.
Listen sweat Heart. I've worked in a kitchen, landscaping, car mechanic, on a air craft carrier and construction (civilian and military). This is by far the hardest and worst job to do. If it weren't for the pay, pension and benefits, I would have went some were else. That's the only reason why we stay and work so hard. If they take that away, Ups will start to decline. Ever see a FedEx driver move as fast as we do? No!! That's because the don't make what we make. You keep your employees happy you will make more money.

tejano408

If it gets voted down you should stone me to DEATH just because I supported it so my kids have no father.
That is why I am VOTING NO for the pass three years I have not been home till 10pm. the work load has been really bad them braking down trucks at 8am and making a lots us stay out. I think in the past three years I have only gotten off early 4 times and you know the highest drivers are not gonna stay out late. and I understand they already busted their ass for the company.

tejano408

I think the right to work state they would read the contract and know it suck and would vote NO, but that is a good thing they don't have a say. and management would probably tell them they would lose their jobs if they vote no