To the yes voters.

Brownslave688

You want a toe? I can get you a toe.
I didn't say the general public matters. Someone said they would support a strike, I simply said they won't. Not whether it would matter if they don't, though I personally think it does matter if they decide to collectively take their business elsewhere. Speaking on a personal level, my place of employment ships only through USPS and UPS. If UPS strikes, my boss will have no choice but to switch to FedEx. Chances are, she wouldn't switch back once a strike was over. That is lost business for UPS and in the long run, can hurt employees, so public support does matter, and I just don't think they will be behind a strike. That's all I'm saying. Glad you have plenty of places to fall back on, as does our family. There are many who don't, who would be hurt by a strike. If you are going to strike over a $400 deductible, you might want to do the math first. You lose way more by not working and getting a paycheck for a few weeks than by paying a small deductible.

I don't want to strike and its not really healthcare for me. I'm in central states. My benefits would actually increase. We won't strike anyway. I'd say even if its votes down the chances are less than 5% we strike.

My prob is 4 year progression part timer 50 cent raise. In general just a bunch of BS needless language. Our contract should probably be about 30 pages long not 300. The more u put in it the more loopholes u create.

I do feel sorry for employers such as yours. Your employer could try to switch to fed ex but it likely would not turn out well. They simply can't handle all the volume and many businesses would be up a creek until the strike was over.

upswife75

I don't want to strike and its not really healthcare for me. I'm in central states. My benefits would actually increase. We won't strike anyway. I'd say even if its votes down the chances are less than 5% we strike.

My prob is 4 year progression part timer 50 cent raise. In general just a bunch of BS needless language. Our contract should probably be about 30 pages long not 300. The more u put in it the more loopholes u create.

I do feel sorry for employers such as yours. Your employer could try to switch to fed ex but it likely would not turn out well. They simply can't handle all the volume and many businesses would be up a creek until the strike was over.

Well then, my comments don't apply to you, lol. I agree, there won't likely be a strike. That said, I just don't see much sympathy if we do. Unfortunately, we live in a "me me me" society, so all people are going to see is, "well, they make more money than I do AND I pay $600/month for my insurance, so suck it up". I've already heard similar from many.

As for my job, we could make the switch to FedEx (we used to use them before, but she didn't see the sense in using both), so she dropped FedEx. It's a small business, so not more than they could handle, but lots of those small businesses combined with some of the bigger ones wouldn't be good for UPS to lose.

over9five

Staff member
If that's not the opinion of someone with a severe case of entitlement I don't know what is.l
I don't see how you got that from my post.

It's just that I've seen several posters saying "we wouldn't have the publics support" if we strike. Who cares? It's not their job and none of their damn business. If they want to whine about our superior pay and benefits, how 'bout filling in an application?
I'll tell you why. Because what we do is menial to them, and they don't think us menial workers should get that superior pay and benefits.

Caring what the public thinks should be of no consideration when deciding to strike.

Coldworld

60 months and counting
I don't see how you got that from my post.

It's just that I've seen several posters saying "we wouldn't have the publics support" if we strike. Who cares? It's not their job and none of their damn business. If they want to whine about our superior pay and benefits, how 'bout filling in an application?
I'll tell you why. Because what we do is menial to them, and they don't think us menial workers should get that superior pay and benefits.

Caring what the public thinks should be of no consideration when deciding to strike.

I think that the average Joe is totally fed up with these corporations making millions and billions but paying their employees minimum wage or a little over...I think they are tired of banks going under, insurance companies looking billions , just for said companies to get a bailout....but then have their CEO make huge bonuses right after....I think people are tired of both democrats and republicians fighting but not getting anything done....I don't think they, the general public, cares as much of how much a ups driver makes...just people know its a hard job and many couldnt cut it anyway...if someone wants to see greed look at wall street and every company in the fortune 500...that's a good place to start, not some ups guy or gal humping boxes all day.

oldupsman

There will never be a strike. Strikes take real courage and balls. UPS and the IBT lack both. They're both making way too much money.
If this thing gets turned down they'll come up with something.

Brownslave688

You want a toe? I can get you a toe.
Caring what the public thinks should definitely be one of the factors to consider before going on strike.

I agree with this. If a union striked, I consider them greedy.

That's a blanket statement that requires zero thought.

I don't agree with public unions for the most part. Only because what they get isn't based on profits. It's based on others tax money.

However I agreed with the Chicago teachers strike. Do u think they were greedy for thinking they shouldn't have to wait months for books to teach with?

stink219

There will never be a strike. Strikes take real courage and balls. UPS and the IBT lack both. They're both making way too much money.
If this thing gets turned down they'll come up with something.
Some people think we are making too much money too. Courage and balls? Or insanity in today's society? People went nuts when teachers went on strike. Look at what's happening now? Cleaning house for the wrong reason.look around at these right to work states. UPS might love a strike.

GONEIN2017

a no vote is a vote for the future. It has become apparent over the last few years, that UPS as company no longer care about their employees. They only care about their shareholders. This is the only time we will get to fight for our rights. please vote no, and force our union officials back to the bargaining table. They CAN do better.

twoweeled

personally, I try not to criticize the yes voters. If we on the west coast were getting something real good, and the central states were getting something even worse than now - rest assured, we on the west coast would vote it in. That's part of why the union has become so weak. But! To the central states: What your getting is not all that good. Relative to the big screwing the west coast is getting, it looks good. The central states should have insisted on getting our medical plan - not rejoice because the company is bringing the west down, to the central states plan. The company has played us all, like a bunch of monkeys!!!

twoweeled

a no vote is a vote for the future. It has become apparent over the last few years, that UPS as company no longer care about their employees. They only care about their shareholders. This is the only time we will get to fight for our rights. please vote no, and force our union officials back to the bargaining table. They CAN do better.

You sir, are so right!! If this contract passes, you have just let the company know, we will take anything! We have no backbone, and are scared to say Boo! Rest assured, the company is prepared to sweeten the deal - and what they are seeing, is that we are so stupid, they may not have to sweeten the deal at all!! The outcome of this contract is going to set the pace for future contracts. You have no idea, how bad things are going to get here. But you'll get a taste, right after the company is secure the contract will pass.