Tool talk

zubenelgenubi

I'm a star
You can get a cheap circular saw for $30. A decent hand saw is $20. Not sure cheap Is the right word.

My circular saw was 60, and has served my needs well. The one my dad bought is contractor grade, probably around 200. I cut the cord on my saw once. I had a broken sawzall I was going to scavenge a cord off of, but it was rated for 9 amps and my skill saw was 11. So I just stripped the wires on the shortened cord and reattached it. Worked like a charm.

rod

Retired 22 years
Unless you are doing commercial work or are REALLY serious about woodworking it don't pay to buy top quality stuff only to have it collect dust 99 % of the time. I've remodeled 3 houses (2 totally) and I don't have but a few "top quality" tools. On the other hand don't be afraid to buy GOOD blades for your stuff.

cosmo1

Perhaps.
Staff member
Yes. If it is a tool that you only plan on using the one time are you going to buy it or rent it?

First, as far as I know, Harbor Freight (the store I was referring to) doesn't rent.

Second, if I need, say, a jack-hammer, of course I'll rent. Right now I need a small die grinder. Cheaper and easier to buy at HF along with a set of burrs.

BigUnionGuy

Got the T-Shirt
RGCWlkp.jpg

sailfish

Master of Karate and Friendship for Everyone
I'm always on the prowl for the best tools for my trade. All this time I've been hesitant to use a razor utility knife because they're typically cheap, Chinese-made, and not very nice. So I've pretty much exclusively stuck with a conventional folding wharncliffe knife, despite some tasks in construction and service being absolute hell on an edge. However, I've recently come across this. It's a folding razor knife made here in the U.S. by a small machine shop called Spectrum Energetics. Everything but the screws is made of titanium and the blades are held in place by set screws so you don't have the play and wobble you typically have with a razor knife. Seems pretty nice. I might have to place an order.

ZbsVU9x.jpg

rod

Retired 22 years
I'm always on the prowl for the best tools for my trade. All this time I've been hesitant to use a razor utility knife because they're typically cheap, Chinese-made, and not very nice. So I've pretty much exclusively stuck with a conventional folding wharncliffe knife, despite some tasks in construction and service being absolute hell on an edge. However, I've recently come across this. It's a folding razor knife made here in the U.S. by a small machine shop called Spectrum Energetics. Everything but the screws is made of titanium and the blades are held in place by set screws so you don't have the play and wobble you typically have with a razor knife. Seems pretty nice. I might have to place an order.

View attachment 294615
can you sneak it on a plane?