Tool talk

rod

Retired 22 years
1644211113025.png

QUITE TIGHTENING THE OIL DRAIN PLUG SO MUCH.

scratch

Least Best Moderator
Staff member
I decided to take up woodworking so I started cutting dovetail joints by hand. That took too long so I went all out and got my first router, a Bosch 1619 combo set. I got a Porter Cable dovetail jig too to make things easy. I messed up a lot of wood before I finally figured out the jig was adjusted wrong from the factory.

F57D29E9-0629-4AC1-AD46-49E420BC2830_1_201_a.jpeg
914EBA45-16B5-4F87-994B-7AC8C06700C8_1_201_a.jpeg
tempImagejnRSRD.png

Mutineer

I decided to take up woodworking so I started cutting dovetail joints by hand. That took too long so I went all out and got my first router, a Bosch 1619 combo set. I got a Porter Cable dovetail jig too to make things easy. I messed up a lot of wood before I finally figured out the jig was adjusted wrong from the factory.

View attachment 372133View attachment 372135View attachment 372136
I screwed around with a borrowed, good quality (Rockwell? don't remember) dovetail jig several years ago with the idea of making drawer boxes.

After I found success a grizzled, old furniture making friend scoffed and showed me how to make boxes using the dado and rabbet.

I haven't cut a dovetail since.

scratch

Least Best Moderator
Staff member
I screwed around with a borrowed, good quality (Rockwell? don't remember) dovetail jig several years ago with the idea of making drawer boxes.

After I found success a grizzled, old furniture making friend scoffed and showed me how to make boxes using the dado and rabbet.

I haven't cut a dovetail since.
That is an easier way to make drawers, my jig can be set up to make dado cuts with a router. My dad was in the furniture business so I grew up with how things were put together. I like the way dovetails look and they are a stronger joint. I'm just looking on it as a hobby and have no intent on making money off of anything. I like the way these 3D cutting boards look and I want to learn to do things like this:

D3F337CF-7D9C-411F-BC47-961C383940E5.jpeg

BlackFriday

Please remove my account. This forum sucks.
Dove tails are a mark of quality and true craftsmanship IMO. There is both a mechanical and glue joint advantage. A dado joint has a fair amt of glue surface but zero mechanical strength hence the need for fasteners in the dado joint.
I gave up woodworking years ago. Too much damn dust and mess for me to deal with.

Mutineer

A dado joint has a fair amt of glue surface but zero mechanical strength hence the need for fasteners in the dado joint.
Dado AND rabbet. Big difference.

The glue strength on a dado joint is very minimal as the glue involves mostly end grains.

Besides, making a drawer box with all dado joints would leave overhang on all four corners.