Transfering from STL to CHI

bteske

Hey guys. I've seen this forum before and have read a couple things in the past. Now is my time to actually post.

My questions mainly revolve around transferring from one location to another.

I am currently in St. Louis, MO (coming up on 15 years of service) and I will need a transfer to Chicago, IL due to my wife's career leading us there. My questions:

1. Is it easy to transfer?
I have read that you can only really transfer two ways. One being a spouse something transfer and it's a 1 time move in the company it seems like. So if she moves again I can't ever use that again? I guess? Second, I can transfer due to school. For this, I was told I can sign up for literally bowling up in Chicago and get transferred that way so long as I provide a paid for bill/transcript showing I am truly moving for school. Are these two options easily attainable? Kind of scared if I do the easy route with school that I may not transfer in time for my spouse's move date or it may occur too early and I will either be forced to move without the family or lose my job in St. Louis.

2. How does seniority work if I transfer? As I said before I have nearly 15 years of service currently and I am gaining a 4th week of vacation this year (plus an option week). Will I lose all those vacations when I transfer? Also how does pay work? Let's say I get paid $20/hr now and the minimum for their HUB is $15 do I keep my wage or drop to their starting? I kind of would understand seniority as far as a union standpoint but the vacations and wage would suck to lose.

I'll think of more probably throughout this conversation, but any advice and help would be wonderful. Thanks!

Wheeler

"King"
Hey guys. I've seen this forum before and have read a couple things in the past. Now is my time to actually post.

I am currently in St. Louis, MO (coming up on 15 years of service) and I will need a transfer to Chicago, IL due to my wife's career leading us there. My questions:

I have read that you can only really transfer two ways. One being a spouse something transfer and it's a 1 time move in the company it seems like. So if she moves again I can't ever use that again? I guess? Second, I can transfer due to school. For this, I was told I can sign up for literally bowling up in Chicago and get transferred that way so long as I provide a paid for bill/transcript showing I am truly moving for school. Are these two options easily attainable? Kind of scared if I do the easy route with school that I may not transfer in time for my spouse's move date or it may occur too early and I will either be forced to move without the family or lose my job in St. Louis.

2. How does seniority work if I transfer? As I said before I have nearly 15 years of service currently and I am gaining a 4th week of vacation this year (plus an option week). Will I lose all those vacations when I transfer? Also how does pay work? Let's say I get paid $20/hr now and the minimum for their HUB is $15 do I keep my wage or drop to their starting? I kind of would understand seniority as far as a union standpoint but the vacations and wage would suck to lose.

I'll think of more probably throughout this conversation, but any advice and help would be wonderful. Thanks!
You would keep company seniority losing building seniority (you would be at the bottom of their list but keep vacation and pay)

542thruNthru

Are you PT or FT?

bteske

check with your HR dept. this question has been answered 1,756 times here. do a search.
I did search a little while ago and found a few answers. Thank you for the responses regarding pay and vacations. But honestly HR was referring me to the website which has little information. In my area at least or the part of the website I found it was saying it was access denied. I ended up bypassing that sort of and finding a from for transferring via school transfer.

Wally

BrownCafe Innovator & King of Puns

Chicago?

542thruNthru

In all honesty you may be out of luck. A good portion of chicago is under it's own contract. locals 710 and 705.

If the local is under our contract here is the language for PT transfers.
Screenshot_20200123-172842_Adobe Acrobat.jpg

bteske

Yes but if you're trying to transfer to 710 or 705 it's a whole other national contract.
But wouldn’t that just mean putting in for a withdrawal through 688 and starting fresh at 710/705. Yeah the union pension is jacked and will never be at 30 years or whatever but I could do it, right?

542thruNthru

But wouldn’t that just mean putting in for a withdrawal through 688 and starting fresh at 710/705. Yeah the union pension is jacked and will never be at 30 years or whatever but I could do it, right?

I'm no expert but I believe you would have to quit and get rehired. I could be wrong and if I am that language I posted is what you need to know. Also talk with your BA. I know @Brownslave688 tells me he's the Man in 688

bteske

I'm no expert but I believe you would have to quit and get rehired. I could be wrong and if I am that language I posted is what you need to know. Also talk with your BA. I know @Brownslave688 tells me he's the Man in 688
BA? Yeah that would not be good. Zero vacations and back to minimum wage. I don’t know about all that. Maybe time to find a new career.

bteske

She’s an operator for Chick-fil-A and getting her own unit sometime near September this year.

Last edited by a moderator: