Transferring Centers / Buildings

Alchemist

Sup guys, I'll be brief and get to the point.

I'm a young cover driver (25 years old) that came in during peak season and was one of the guys they kept after peak. Was only driving 1-2 times per week since January and have been working the pre-load on the days I don't drive.

Recently a new building opened up near me where I am higher up on the seniority list and can become a 22/4 pretty quickly and am making the jump, working on getting transferred over there now. Tried to get in contact with HR and they were nowhere to be found, 1800 number is useless as I've tried multiple times. And the driver manager said to go through HR.

What I want to know is, if I went to driving school already, passed my road test and DOT exam in the other building (same local, just different center) do I need to re-do all of that when I reapply? The center I'm at now won't let me directly transfer and I would need to reapply to the other building (I have less of 6 months of seniority at my current center anyways so it's not a big deal) and I'm higher up compared to the other drivers.

What I don't want to happen is quit at the center I'm at now, go through the process of onboarding to not be on time for driving school if for whatever reason I would need to go back (driving school is June 11th, about 3 1/2 weeks away. They won't let me work the preload in one center and then apply to drive for the other center, I need to quit before I move to the other center

Any recommendations or tips from you brothers would be greatly appreciated.

rod

Retired 22 years

I'm a young cover driver (25 years old) that came in during peak season and was one of the guys they kept after peak. Was only driving 1-2 times per week since January and have been working the pre-load on the days I don't drive.

Recently a new building opened up near me where I am higher up on the seniority list and can become a 22/4 pretty quickly and am making the jump, working on getting transferred over there now. Tried to get in contact with HR and they were nowhere to be found, 1800 number is useless as I've tried multiple times. And the driver manager said to go through HR.

What I want to know is, if I went to driving school already, passed my road test and DOT exam in the other building (same local, just different center) do I need to re-do all of that when I reapply? The center I'm at now won't let me directly transfer and I would need to reapply to the other building (I have less of 6 months of seniority at my current center anyways so it's not a big deal) and I'm higher up compared to the other drivers.

What I don't want to happen is quit at the center I'm at now, go through the process of onboarding to not be on time for driving school if for whatever reason I would need to go back. They won't let me work the preload in one center and then apply for the other center, I need to quit before I move to the other one.

You are kind of on the border of being "young" and middle aged.

542thruNthru

Recently a new building opened up near me where I am higher up on the seniority list and can become a 22/4 pretty quickly.

The center I'm at now won't let me directly transfer and I would need to reapply to the other building (I have less of 6 months of seniority at my current center anyways so it's not a big deal) and I'm higher up compared to the other drivers.
How can you be higher seniority to a center you don't work at? If you have to quit and reapply your seniority would start at 0 and everyone at that building would then have more seniority than you.

What local/supplemental agreement are you? If they do not allow transfers all you can do is quit and hopefully get rehired and start all over at another building.

olroadbeech

Happy Verified UPSer
Go for it. Leave on good terms at your present job.
I don't foresee any problems.

Look at it from the HR point of view.
With your experience and training it seems like a no brainer to hire you.

good luck kid.

btw i would visit new center and poke around and ask questions

542thruNthru

good luck kid.

Never heard of seniority?

Alchemist

How can you be higher seniority to a center you don't work at? If you have to quit and reapply your seniority would start at 0 and everyone at that building would then have more seniority than you.

What local/supplemental agreement are you? If they do not allow transfers all you can do is quit and hopefully get rehired and start all over at another building.
It's not that I'm higher seniority, it's that even if I start at 0 at the new building, I'd still be much higher up on the list for full time than the building I'm at now

Alchemist

good luck kid.

Thank you brother

542thruNthru

It's not that I'm higher seniority, it's that even if I start at 0 at the new building, I'd still be much higher up on the list for full time than the building I'm at now
Ok, then I'd call your local and talk to your BA. See what your options are and if he/she can get you in contact with HR.

Good luck.

olroadbeech

Happy Verified UPSer
Haha, good news for me is the competition is weaker now, so there's pros and cons but I agree
Let us know how it goes.
A bigger hub is usually better. Mor opportunities

I was in a small feeder only hub in willows california that the company shut down.
we had 17 drivers that were all transferred all over the place. originally the company wanted to let us all go but the union saved our jobs. the company will ALWAYS try to get away with :censored2:. That is why your contract union book should be considered the bible.

it was a nightmare.

GameCockFan

What I don't want to happen is quit at the center I'm at now, go through the process of onboarding to not be on time for driving school if for whatever reason I would need to go back (driving school is June 11th, about 3 1/2 weeks away. They won't let me work the preload in one center and then apply to drive for the other center, I need to quit before I move to the other center

Did any work move from your building to the other building? File to follow the work. Surely UPS would want an already trained person vs a new hire.

Overpaid Union Thug

Unless you’re following your work or legit transferring (educational in some regions, transfer list in others) your only option is to quit and hope they rehire you there. In a more sane world you’d be able to use your company seniority to attempt to transfer to that building or any other location that has openings. But for some reason UPS and the Teamsters like this scatter brained nonsense where every region and supplement has their own set(s) of rules and pensions. That, and jealousy, prevents sane world from happening and solidifies clown world across the board where seniority really only counts in certain situations.

Last edited:

Barstow

You can resign for personal reasons let your hiring manager know and let him know you plan on returning and ask if he can put you as a positive rehire status then you can apply anywhere and get hired immediate are if you wait until your at 9 months you can put in for an educational transfer and then after transferring drop your classes it takes 3 to 6 months for the transfer but you don't lose your seniority

Barstow

Any recommendations or tips from you brothers would be
To put in the educational transfer contact your hr for the white dorm you need to fill out