Trick or Treating At Fred's House

MrFedEx

Engorged Member
What is it with you and at-will employees?

You are an at-will employee. What it basically means as far as FedEx goes is that they can get rid of you whenever they want for whatever reason they decide to invent. That's a very convenient arrangement...for FedEx.

fxdwg

Long Time Member
I can't imagine trick-or-treating at Fred S's house...

Must have been exhausting walking from the street to the door.....calming the Doberman's..........

For an--???? Apple?

Cactus

Just telling it like it is
I can't imagine trick-or-treating at Fred S's house...

Must have been exhausting walking from the street to the door.....calming the Doberman's..........

For an--???? Apple?

Naw, Fred just gives out those mini-tootsie roll bites and he has MT3 tell the kids that in 20+ years when they reach top-scale they might get the larger size. Maybe.

quadro

You are an at-will employee. What it basically means as far as FedEx goes is that they can get rid of you whenever they want for whatever reason they decide to invent. That's a very convenient arrangement...for FedEx.
I know I'm an at-will employee. I think that it's ex fed exer who likes to keep throwing in the "at-will employee" card. It seems as if ex fed exer thinks that FedEx is the only business that has at-will employees when in reality that is so far from being correct.

As far as FedEx being able to get rid of you whenever they want for whatever reason they decide to invent, that's not exactly correct either because of all the policies that FedEx has there are implied contracts which somewhat restrict the at-will doctrine.

MrFedEx

Engorged Member
I know I'm an at-will employee. I think that it's ex fed exer who likes to keep throwing in the "at-will employee" card. It seems as if ex fed exer thinks that FedEx is the only business that has at-will employees when in reality that is so far from being correct.

As far as FedEx being able to get rid of you whenever they want for whatever reason they decide to invent, that's not exactly correct either because of all the policies that FedEx has there are implied contracts which somewhat restrict the at-will doctrine.

FedEx eliminates employees all the time with many different contrived reasons. The essence of "at-will" at FedEx, is that you can be fired at any time for any reason they decide. The classic example is a bad encounter with a customer, where the customer says one thing and you say another about what happened. If they are an account of any size at all FedEx will happily toss you directly beneath the bus.

quadro

FedEx eliminates employees all the time with many different contrived reasons. The essence of "at-will" at FedEx, is that you can be fired at any time for any reason they decide. The classic example is a bad encounter with a customer, where the customer says one thing and you say another about what happened. If they are an account of any size at all FedEx will happily toss you directly beneath the bus.
My personal experience differs from your claim. I had a customer complain about something once and a cursory look at the evidence suggested that I did as they said. The problem was that they concocted a piece of evidence after the fact, essentially trying to frame me so that FedEx would be liable. I told my senior my side of the story and he personally went to investigate. I didn't even get suspended as he was able to see through what the customer was trying to do.

In any event, if FedEx is as greedy as you claim, why would they risk firing someone for a trumped up reason and risk a lawsuit and the cost of hiring and training someone to replace the first person? I don't doubt that it has happened but to claim it happens all the time seems a little incongruous to your other claims.

MrFedEx

Engorged Member
My personal experience differs from your claim. I had a customer complain about something once and a cursory look at the evidence suggested that I did as they said. The problem was that they concocted a piece of evidence after the fact, essentially trying to frame me so that FedEx would be liable. I told my senior my side of the story and he personally went to investigate. I didn't even get suspended as he was able to see through what the customer was trying to do.

In any event, if FedEx is as greedy as you claim, why would they risk firing someone for a trumped up reason and risk a lawsuit and the cost of hiring and training someone to replace the first person? I don't doubt that it has happened but to claim it happens all the time seems a little incongruous to your other claims.

It's basically a "He said/She said" sort of deal, and if you have any history at all with being a problem for customers, who do you think they're going to believe? I've had only one problem in over 25 years, and the customer lied...and I got suspended for a week. I've seen plenty of people canned for customer complaints, some of which I'm sure were justified. Many were not.

quadro

It's basically a "He said/She said" sort of deal, and if you have any history at all with being a problem for customers, who do you think they're going to believe? I've had only one problem in over 25 years, and the customer lied...and I got suspended for a week. I've seen plenty of people canned for customer complaints, some of which I'm sure were justified. Many were not.
I think you summed it up nicely. "If you have any history at all with being a problem for customers". You don't get a history if there isn't some truth to it. Take the two of us, we have one serious complaint each in 25 years and there are no doubt many employees just like us. So if someone has a history of being a problem, they likely are a problem. Then when they get fired they claim that it's the customer's word against there's but it's funny how this customer's complaint fits right in with the other complaints from unrelated customers.

vantexan

My first courier job had a customer write a nice letter telling FedEx that I was doing a great job. When she asked me what I thought of the letter I replied "What letter?". She was very upset, called Memphis. Next day red faced mgr called me into office to read to me from a crumpled letter he retrieved from trash. I thought it was pretty funny at the time.

vantexan

I think you summed it up nicely. "If you have any history at all with being a problem for customers". You don't get a history if there isn't some truth to it. Take the two of us, we have one serious complaint each in 25 years and there are no doubt many employees just like us. So if someone has a history of being a problem, they likely are a problem. Then when they get fired they claim that it's the customer's word against there's but it's funny how this customer's complaint fits right in with the other complaints from unrelated customers.

And if you dare to be openly critical of pay policies, etc some mgrs will magnify any problem they have with you. Got accused of not reporting damage to truck last week. Didn't matter that it was driven by 2 swings riding together the next day. It had to be me. Luckily a part-timer admitted to it but I was worried when mgr flat out said I did it and didn't report it.

FedEx2000

And if you dare to be openly critical of pay policies, etc some mgrs will magnify any problem they have with you. Got accused of not reporting damage to truck last week. Didn't matter that it was driven by 2 swings riding together the next day. It had to be me. Luckily a part-timer admitted to it but I was worried when mgr flat out said I did it and didn't report it.

Did you note the damage on the VIR during your pretrip and let a mgr know about it? Even if it was minor, if you notice it write it up...CYA.