Truck Driver Shortage

pretender

I actually was practicing backing doubles at my turn around on Friday since the driver I meet was about an hour and half late.

I need ALOT more practice to do that consistently!

I was just kidding--But you never know when it might come in handy to at least be able to back up a short distance...

I seem to remember someone posting a link to a video a while back, of one of our drivers backing a set into a spot at truck stop?

MaceFremonti

I saw that video too. I can back up just about the length of the set until It all goes sideways.

Practice makes perfect!

There was a feeder driver here in Burtonsville who was an expert at backing doubles. Story goes he was dropping a set at Richmond. There you have to break them down and put each on a door. Bunch of other feeder guys both from Baltimore and hubs north of Richmond as well as from hubs south of Richmond are standing around outside dispatch just shooting the breeze. The Burtonsville driver is pulling in with a set and sees all these guys standing around....

So instead of breaking the set down he slowly pulls in...honks his horn a few times to get their attention and proceeds to pull way out in front of the first bay he needs to be on, straightening the set up.

He then proceeds to back it up and put his back trailer on the door....again with about 10 feeder drivers are watching. He non chalantly gets out, smiles, unhooks his hoses etc and then puts his front trailer on it's door. He does all this in seemingly less than 5 minutes...smooth as silk.
He parks his tractor and walks over to the dispatch office.

"WOW! That was impressive!", says a North Carolina driver.

"Thanks!", says the Burtonsville driver.

"Where are you from?", asks a Richmond guy.

"Burtonsville....", says our hero, "....it was nothing....everyone from Burt can do it!"

Last edited:
A

anonymous6

35 yr truck driver here. FMSCA is a good thing. will weed out bad drivers and bad companies. driver shortage will drive up wages. it's all good. will make highways safer for our children in the long run.