Truck overhead lights

Wally

BrownCafe Innovator & King of Puns
I had a spare today and the LED overhead lights in the cab and back, were noticeably brighter than in my regular Workhorse. I wonder if they use a different light? The brighter bulbs were nice to work with.

barnyard

KTM rider
The LEDs are brighter and draw less power than incandescents. It would be nice if the bulbs in the older cars could be replaced with similar wattage LEDs. That would make a huge difference in night time sorting.

cosmo1

Perhaps.
Staff member
The LEDs are brighter and draw less power than incandescents. It would be nice if the bulbs in the older cars could be replaced with similar wattage LEDs. That would make a huge difference in night time sorting.

The fixture is plug and play.

govols019

You smell that?
All the package car interior lights in our center were replaced with LEDs a fewyears ago...good luck getting automotive to approve it now. They have gotten remarkably stingy.

barnyard

KTM rider
The fixture is plug and play.

Yabbut, with older package cars, they use 11-57 bulbs or similar. LED equivalents are available and it would be nice if UPS were to replace the older bulbs with LEDs. I have done it with my personal trailer and all my motorcycles, so I know it can be done.

TooTechie

Geek in Brown
I had a spare today and the LED overhead lights in the cab and back, were noticeably brighter than in my regular Workhorse. I wonder if they use a different light? The brighter bulbs were nice to work with.
I know, aren't they nice? My new 800 makes me no longer dread going to work...and I went straight from a 29 year old dinosaur 800 with the 2 tiny little bulbs in the back where you couldn't see your own hand in front of your face at night to my new hotness. The other nice thing is not having the lights shut off every couple of minutes when you're trying to work.

The cargo light in the workhorses were much brighter than the old incandescent bulbs, but yeah the workhorse cargo lights put off a yellowish light. The new Freightliners are more like a white florescent feel and you could read a book at 10pm back there if you were so inclined.

TooTechie

Geek in Brown
When I had my old dinosaur I wrote up the lights and asked to have the fixtures updated or maybe another one added so I could see. My old mechanic wrote back and said he wasn't allowed and if a battery went bad they'd see he changed the lights and he'd get in trouble. *shrug*

upsbeernut

Sometimes i feel like a nut sometimes i dont
When I had my old dinosaur I wrote up the lights and asked to have the fixtures updated or maybe another one added so I could see. My old mechanic wrote back and said he wasn't allowed and if a battery went bad they'd see he changed the lights and he'd get in trouble. *shrug*
Lets face it lighting in all the trucks suck. Why would you put a light in the upper corner blocked by packages or one round light in the middle. Technology meets the Flintstones, surprised they didn't take the floor panel out and let us use our legs to move the vehicle. Look at fed ex with there new slender air conditioned trucks.

TooTechie

Geek in Brown
Lets face it lighting in all the trucks suck. Why would you put a light in the upper corner blocked by packages or one round light in the middle. Technology meets the Flintstones, surprised they didn't take the floor panel out and let us use our legs to move the vehicle. Look at fed ex with there new slender air conditioned trucks.
Yeah, the placement certainly sucks. In some of the newer trucks when the overhead door is up, it completely blocks the back light...and for the other light...preload likes to hang paper behind it with the bay number/load name.

upsbeernut

Sometimes i feel like a nut sometimes i dont
Yeah, the placement certainly sucks. In some of the newer trucks when the overhead door is up, it completely blocks the back light...and for the other light...preload likes to hang paper behind it with the bay number/load name.
When I get stuck with a piece of crap which doesn't happen very often . I put on dvir report retire this vehicle cause the seat is up so close my b's feel squashed and at the end of the day I'm sore from all that jumping around and I've lost a little more hearing.

When I get stuck with a piece of crap which doesn't happen very often . I put on dvir report retire this vehicle cause the seat is up so close my b's feel squashed and at the end of the day I'm sore from all that jumping around and I've lost a little more hearing.
Two words..."crush it"

rod

Retired 22 years
I remember complaining about how dim my headlights were years ago. The mechanic said that was the only style of light UPS would furnish him. The next day I petty cash a top of the line (at that time) halogen headlamp, installed it myself and told them I had a headlight burn out and got pulled over by a cop and told to fix it---so I did.
Its funny but about the same thing happed the next week. I was then set up with new halogen lights that were 5 times as bright as the old style crap they used.

Wally

BrownCafe Innovator & King of Puns
My workhorse has LED's too, but the spare I had was a whole lot brighter. I guess they are higher wattage?

Since the higher wattage work better for the driver, I would bet the shop will install lower wattage bulbs as replacements. Save a few cents on a bulb so the driver takes more time (and overtime) searching in dim light for the next stop.