Trump and republican house and senate affect on Unions

Wally

BrownCafe Innovator & King of Puns
All because of Obamacare. If the unions fought against it back in 2009, maybe some house members back away and everything now is different.

OptimusPrime

A lot of union members voted in these anti labor buffoons. Pretty sad that they are that ignorant or that stupid. Thank you brothers and sisters.

You aren't wrong. Had a lot of folks here jerking themselves off about The Donald come Wednesday morning. Plenty of talk about about that ":censored2:" and or "bitch" Hilary.

Ghost in the Darkness

What did Obama do to help us? What did Bush do to hurt us? The only thing I've noticed is the union has gotten weaker and our health insurance is covering less than it was. Not saying its all Obamacare but it definitely has some effect.

HBGPreloader

He has to come out and say it?
No, he doesn't.
However, based upon what has happened here in PA, the democrats have been more harmful to unions than Trump ever has.
Going back to when rendell was governor and the democrats controlled the legislature, union employees suffered many job losses and were even forced to go more than a month without a paycheck while the legislature and rendell and the legislature bickered over the budget. In a way, it's much like the time the democrats wasted with obamacare.
With support from democrats like that, people wonder why some of us supported Trump?
Based upon that history and clinton's actions/stance on several issues, IMHO, Trump's a helluva lot more liberal than clinton.

MC4YOU2

Wherever I see Trump, it smells like he's Putin.
The Democrats have dropped the ball for years by not being more supportive of unions.

The Republicans court RTW like it's the great Savior of jobs. The voters have supported both lines of thinking to the detriment of the middle class.

In a way, they've both been coming after us for a long time. The right does it by turning public sentiment against public sector unions. The left does it with apathy. They pretend we matter, then pass things like the Cadillac Tax on the ACA.

He's used non union labor in the past, but he's also hard to predict. He'll be naming a Labor Secretary soon who will likely not help our cause.

They will also get busy appointing business friendly federal mediators who will decide Teamster/UPS cases that deadlock, further weakening union hourly members bargaining positions.

This should be an interesting 4 years.

HBGPreloader

I don't wonder at all. But if you think republican government s going on ail the ills you speak of, you may as well drink Draino to cure heartburn.
As a self-proclaimed libertarian, I would rather keep both the republicans' and democrats' collective noses out of my business and who I choose to affiliate with.

Currently, I'm neither for or opposed to right-to-work legislation. The reason why I don't oppose it is because it would mean that unions would actually have to earn my support instead of being legally allowed to extort it from me.

Right now, I am still willing to support the union. However, if they continue to spend my dues to endorse another clinton type, I will not hesitate to change my opinion.

bbsam

Staff member
The reason you should worry about RTW is because once in place it will be very hard to repeal and the union will be stretched just to survive let alone expand or even support the members it already has .

HBGPreloader

The reason you should worry about RTW is because once in place it will be very hard to repeal and the union will be stretched just to survive let alone expand or even support the members it already has .
Well, if the union is doing their job of protecting workers rights and ensuring good pay and benefits for all of its members, more would want to join the union.

Right now, though, it would seem that unions have their priorities all wrong.

As our pension funds struggle and our pension benefits are cut, why is the union lobbying for obamacare and $15 an hour minimum wage for non-union fast food workers?

How about they lead by example and get their members a $15 an hour starting wage and excellent benefits for our entire family?

I joined the union to be part of something special. However, now that I've been a member for years and watched how my money is being spent, it's becoming apparent that the union wants to use my dues to make everyone special - even those who choose not to join a union and don't want to pay their fair share.